Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: World editor - elev/rain/temp/drain biome values  (Read 24672 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World editor - elev/rain/temp/drain biome values
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 07:09:15 pm »

Wow, great work! This is exceptionally helpful.

uma

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 10:26:41 pm »

I want to catch an elephant. However, the tropical forest is not found. Where can I find the elephant?

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 11:36:25 am »

This is just *GREAT*. I strongly suggest it's placed in the online wiki, by the way. It would be very useful. Also, maybe someone make a wiki page for putting online sets of parameters to generate specific worlds.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 03:49:38 pm »

I just figured out that dwarves apparently don't like savage areas - I tried to generate a world with 80-100 savagery, and every time got the 'no controllable entity' log error each time it didn't have too many subregions. Before that, when I had savagery set to 60-100, the three dwarf civs only had one-tile-sized empires.

I wonder if the other civs also don't like them.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

K4tz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 09:40:02 am »

Hmm. I created an incredibly savage world with a few non savage spots for civilizations to crop up in. For some reason, despite the hills and mountains I created, the generator had problems making a dwarf civ. The human and elven civilizations were created though, and they hated each other's guts. There was a dragon but for some reason its only activity was killing a cat and a mule. Draconic Age? Ha.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 03:26:42 pm »

I have been able to gen a world that is mostle desert dotted with several large oasis-like areas, some of which have a few forest squares within.  THe problem is, by the end of the history generation, there are never any elven civs.  Is it at all possible for elven civs to take root in just three or so squares of forest?

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 05:40:28 pm »

As an aside, would anybody be interested in a program to import greyscale heightmaps into Dwarf Fortress?  It's difficult to get proper gradients with the built in editor so I've started throwing together something that'll do the hard parts for me.

-Angry Lawyer

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 06:21:04 pm »

A question i don't think anyone's even asked yet --

has anyone determined what determines high wind / medium wind / no wind on a map yet? I wouldn't mind being able to guarantee that windmill farms would always be viable on my sites.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 02:08:13 am »

As an aside, would anybody be interested in a program to import greyscale heightmaps into Dwarf Fortress?  It's difficult to get proper gradients with the built in editor so I've started throwing together something that'll do the hard parts for me.

-Angry Lawyer

I'd love it!  I was thinking semi-consiously about it since I started exporting maps into Terrain Viewer and going, "if I tweak this shading here, and put it back in Dwarf Fortress...damn!  Can't!"

I'd of course start doing Weird Shit with GIMP and making random gradients and porting them into DF to see what they do.  That'd be immense fun! :D

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 03:01:16 am »

I'll start a thread after work with pictures of what I've done so far.

-Angry Lawyer

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 11:28:41 am »

Well, I'll avoid making a thread until I'm closer to finish, but it (vaguely) works

Goes through

To make

-Angry Lawyer

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 11:52:20 am »

That's actually pretty neat, if random. You realize that you're now obligated to make random pixel art worlds now, right?

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 12:04:04 pm »

Pretty much.

The MSN icon guy from the profile, inverted:

At the moment, the app only supports 17x17 worlds, and 17x17 images, but I'm fast working to resolve it.

-Angry Lawyer

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 12:30:26 pm »

That is awesome.
Does the input gradient need to be of a certain size, or will it scale?

And don't forget to do drainage, temp, and rainfall maps (whatever the worldpainter can take, at least).

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 12:42:34 pm »

I'm aiming at making it scale, with a couple of extra parameters enterable to adjust the heightmap to the point where you can change the sea level, and the multiplier it uses to convert to the DF height levels, just in case you've got a washed out looking heightmap and need to up the contrast.

I'm just about to test 257x257 with a map of the UK.  Standby for awesomes.

-Angry Lawyer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4