Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Using subjugated warriors

(1/2) > >>

Mephansteras:
So, in my modding I've noticed that most of the races that use slaves and do babysnatching frequently end up almost extinct with a large population of subjugated creatures. I'm guessing that most of the original race dies in battle.

So, it would make sense both from a creature survival standpoint and a historical standpoint if these races would send subjugated/assimilated creatures into battle in preference of their own warriors. They'd still lead the attacks, I'd imagine, but they'd use available warriors of other races before their own.

This would cut down on the huge number of civs that I see with only a handful, or none, of the actual parent race still around by the time the game starts. And that's as early as 150 on a large map with some of my tests.

As a later goal, having any subjugated/slave warriors using substandard equipment compared to the races own soldiers would also make a lot of sense.

Draco18s:
This has my vote.

Erk:
This is a great idea. I get a little sick of seeing "goblin" forces comprised entirely of humans. At the very least maybe goblinised nongoblins could get hyphenated names. Human-goblins, or something (like japanese-canadians)

Neoskel:
You have my axe.  ;)

Royal Surveyor:
This isn't revolutionary in the context of human warfare: the British and French had piles of colonial troops during WW1/2.  In WW2, for example, Indians fought for both the Nazi Reich and the British Empire (with a 10-fold advantage for the Brits).

In DF, I could see troops pressed into combat being useful cannon fodder, but not well motivated (I mean, they are slaves after all).  But, in the long term, their children could be made to think that fighting for their parents captor is the right thing to do (take them from their parents, drop them in a Spartan-style creche, etc.) for whatever reason.

This has my vote!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version