Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Undocumented cool things.  (Read 8575 times)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undocumented cool things.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 09:29:01 am »

ps Did you check whether there were 3 towercap logs present, I forgot to.
They weren't, I was quite displeased. Thankfully I had a woodcutter, axe, and forest. However I was getting some bad lag thanks to the chasm on the top of the mountain et al >.>

Some mountain tiles are travelable because they have caves on them, btw. I noticed that in the last version. In this version, not every edge mountain tile is embarkable, and sometimes you can get mountains on plains.

Another thing, that Volcanism variance factor in the specific settings for world-gen menu? They actually determine the type of rocks you'll see in the world, too, for instance volcanic, metamorphic, etc.

I  was wondering why all of my worlds I was generating had no flux. Turns out that if volcanism is too high, then you only get volcanic rocks like gabbro. Turning the minimum down to about 50 fixed that nicely.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 02:47:35 pm »

They just f****g ran =). Poor miners though... :'(
Also is that "The Board of Dye" a goblin civ or ...?

The Board of Dye is a Dwarf Civ. I ran this world to 1000, and I suspect that the histories kept the same, since the starting point seemed to be the same. if that is the case, I plan to follow the history of that event and see where the demon is eventually killed and by whom (assuming the whole thing isn't culled and that the history seed did properly follow the events even if ended short)

I'd have done it right then and there, except I had to get to work. Stay tuned for the drama of Paintheld, if there is any at all.

(Edit: Update, I am a fool. Paintheld was a fortress I made, I forgot I made it. Looks like it was too good to be true.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 06:07:26 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 04:14:16 pm »

History seeds do indeed immortalize the events of the world provided it's the same geographical seed as well.
I haven't tried the same seed on a different world, but due to the cities being placed differently, I can't see those working too well.
I've confirmed this by, after viewing the events of my Legolas elf who got 370 kills, using a new world with same parameters except ending year.  I went and met her on the top of the goblin tower where she was sent after being abducted.
...A year after that meeting, she would have gone on to become leader of a HUMAN civ.  Except that I chopped off her leg.
No idea what happened to her after that because her legendary wrestler son killed me and impaled me on an iron spear.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Jisaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 07:22:24 pm »

More weird than cool, but I was once ambushed while Traveling in adventure mode, and I ended up standing on a stagnant pool. Couldn't climb out, but I could move around, and once I killed the... Jaguar I think it was? I could travel again. Amusingly enough I got ambushed in exactly the same spot before I could get anywhere. Third time got me away though.

*Edit*
I don't really remember this very well, so it's possible it was 4/7 depth or lower, though I've never really encountered a pool of that depth naturally... At least I don't think I have, but then I don't usually check. ...Guess it's probably nothing after all.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:58:40 pm by Jisaan »

VeryBadThingsDownHere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 08:47:15 pm »

Carp and other aquatic creatures are flagged as 'drowning' when they lose their water covering.  :)
Why don't you kids finish that barrel before opening a new one!?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 10:36:44 pm »

I've got some strangely relevant engravings.  My current fort is started in a ruined town (both are named Worshipheathers).  My engravers are starting to do things other than symbols and abstract objects, and two of the engravings I've got so far relate to the founding and destruction of the original Worshipheathers.  Does the game bias towards local history for engraving?  Either way, awesome.

EDIT:  Two more engravings featuring notable happenings from the original Worshipheathers.  So I guess my dwarves are history buffs, being familiar with events from 500-600 years in the past.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:55:50 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 11:15:37 pm »

(Edit: Update, I am a fool. Paintheld was a fortress I made, I forgot I made it. Looks like it was too good to be true.)

:(

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Bone meal?
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 01:39:02 pm »

Since when was Bone Meal in? Because I was messing with a food stockpile and there's a section for Bone Meal. Is there a way to make it? And stuff to make with it?

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 01:50:16 pm »

I've seen a couple of buildings like inns and houses that are hanging halfway over a cliff/hillside, and the foundation is held up by wooden or stone supports on the lower level.

Small things like that make me smile.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 09:29:22 pm »

Every now and then a building will spawn two z-levels below some bit of ground or other. The first layer over the building becomes roof--the second becomes wooden wall. It's sort of hard to explain, but you'll probably encounter it if you wander through a human settlement in a hilly area for a while. Probably a bug, but undocumented, sort of cool and definitely a thing, anyway.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 09:40:26 pm »

Every now and then a building will spawn two z-levels below some bit of ground or other. The first layer over the building becomes roof--the second becomes wooden wall. It's sort of hard to explain, but you'll probably encounter it if you wander through a human settlement in a hilly area for a while. Probably a bug, but undocumented, sort of cool and definitely a thing, anyway.

Yeah I've seen those and variations, sometimes they'll be dug into the side of hill hobbit-style, and sometimes they'll just be completely underground and the only way you can tell there's a house there is because of the "roof floor"

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 12:14:43 am »

I embarked on a cliff so narrow that I never got a wagon... rather than having it explode, thankfully.
Yeah me too!
I think I may have reported is as a possible bug: it would be better to check for spots that are wagon accessable (beginning from the direction of the mountainhomes) and see how far the truck can trundle up that mountain before the picks need to come out.

Was fun to see all the stuff scattered on the ground though.
"Oh no, the cart has tipped over!"

ps Did you check whether there were 3 towercap logs present, I forgot to.

;D

Also, this isn't exactly a feature, but Adventure mode is FAR more stable than ever.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 06:48:02 am »

I didn't know this at first, but a Goblin war against your civ/fortress will go down named in Legends, with each individual battle detailed. This is going to be exceptionally fun when the siegers can be actual dark fortress inhabitants... perhaps including the demon?

And of course, if you abandon a fort, it will tell you about each dwarf. They'll leave into the nearby wilderness region, then eventually pick a fort to resettle at.

Also, amusingly, anything smashed by a drawbridge will get it's own legend note. I saw an unnamed random mule that got smashed by a drawbridge in one fort.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 11:31:33 am »

When you go on one of the accessible mountain tiles in Adventure Travel, your line of sight increases due to the higher altitude.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Bone meal?
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 12:21:56 pm »

Since when was Bone Meal in? Because I was messing with a food stockpile and there's a section for Bone Meal. Is there a way to make it? And stuff to make with it?

I've found Elf Bone Meal in the hidden fun stuff. ;D
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.
Pages: 1 [2] 3