Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Possessions, Fey moods and more  (Read 22348 times)

Entity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possessions, Fey moods and more
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2006, 09:30:00 am »

I got my first strange mood the other day. My jeweller was "possessed by unknown forces" and claimed the jeweller's workshop. Having heard all the tales of insane dwarfs needing to be put down, I was worried. But I needn't have been - she just checked out a single uncut gem from the stockpile, locked herself away, and a few days later emerged with...

Vagúshbidok, "Killeract", a legendary earring. Crafted from aventurine. Encrusted with aventurine.

This is the artefact she waited her whole life to create. A legendary earring.

My dwarves, they do not know how to dream big.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »

Just one question - will berserk dwarves set off traps ?

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2006, 08:12:00 pm »

Berserk or even tantruming dwarves forget where traps are, and therefore set them off.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2006, 05:20:00 am »

"Zolakidos Thestaregur, 'Blizzardcalled the Crimson Sorrow', a Moonstone ri"

I think my mason ran out of space to engrave on his ring..

[ October 11, 2006: Message edited by: Devastator ]

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2006, 08:14:00 pm »

I had a metalsmith go fey when I hit the lava.  I backed up the game and went all out to put up a magma forge and get enough steel for a bridge.  He took the forge, grabbed some iron ore, then waited for rough gems...

I searched long for new gems past the lava flow.  This laptop isnt fast, so it took a couple hours to check everywhere for them... emeralds, sapphires, rubies, even diamonds, nothing satisfied him.  I seemed to have all the other gems too, except for Clear Diamond.  My Legendary miner broke 2 diamond clusters that I saw, so I went another screen for some more.  Those mined up, but were normal diamonds which I already had.  Finally he went berserk, he held out a long time though.  One step off the magma forge and he's hit by falling rocks.

I was working on other alternatives, but dwarves do NOT like making glass.  First, not enough sand.  Then, no potash.  Make potash and pearlash, and another dwarf takes the sand far away.  Pearlash left in the kiln.  finally bring sand and pearlash, dwarf will leave to drink or eat.  And someone is right there to carry away the pearlash.

They played games of pass the pearlash and charcoal for a whole season while my miners searched the entire cavern.

After a reload, rebuilding the bridge and forge, and playing more pass the pearlash, I finally wised up and built a kiln next to the bar stockpile.  Finally, clear glass, but he wasn't interested in that either.  The last option, crystal glass, took some more ingredients but that did the trick.  He took the long round trip without going crazy, too, good guy.  

Behold! Karisrir, the Ultimate Dimension.  An iron helm encrusted with crystal glass, menacing with spikes of iron.  Or something like that.  Then he went for a drink and took a break. Now he's a legendary armorsmith, churning out the exceptional... copper shields and such, since I'm pretty slow at making iron and steel.  It may be cheesy to reload, but it was fun ;p

Some details, I think he grabbed the crystal from the glass furnace, didn't wait for it to go to stockpile.  He sat around waiting for me to make the magma forge before claiming it.  The workshop status said he wanted rough gems, then the right kind of ore, even though he took the iron ore first.  It said both messages even after the ore was tasked up in the forge.

[ October 11, 2006: Message edited by: axus ]

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2006, 02:20:00 pm »

i got me a jeweller in fey mood..

he screams "i must have rough gems"

... weird.. guess i better make them raw glass real quick

--
taken 3 gems in so far.. waiting for glass (gotta built a kiln)... haven't seen the requirement change..

---
aquamarine scepter "the magical trickeries" 2x aquarmarine, 1x sapphire, 1x clear glass

clear glass it is after all...

[ October 13, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]

20,000leeks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »

Two stories of relative humourousness to relate:

To begin with, my first fey mood in my newest fortress. A Jeweller, one Inod Cerolbavast, is taken by a fey mood in the middle of the night, and runs to the workshop he shares with another dwarf. He hurriedly draws up some plans, a strange look comes into his eyes, and he runs to the gem bins. He rummages through them for a while, then grunts, shakes his head, and runs back to the workshop, screaming "Gems! I need gems!"

Nearby dwarves, hearing this and knowing that something big is up, immediately start searching for gems. They find Rose Quartz, they find Turquoise, they find all sorts of... well, rather common gems. Unfortunately, it's just not good enough. Inod bars the door and sits, holding his knees, rocking back and forth, and muttering about gems. Months pass. The door is unlocked. Out springs Inod, shedding clothing right, left and center, and shouting about strange little green dwarves trying to "steal his thoughts with rays".

This, however, does not stop him from organising a party in the dining room (attendance is low). The other dwarves look confused, tug their beards, and wonder if there were any odd mushrooms in the workshop with him. Finally, after frothing at the mouth, he collapses outside, too weak to hold onto his crazed existence. The other dwarves hold a minute silence for his poor, mad soul, and then continue their work. So far nobody has bothered to move him to the refuse pit.

The second tale is somewhat stranger.

A modest Craftsdwarf, Rigoth Ushriritir, is struck by an idea while storing some stone blocks in a bin. He rushes off to bring his idea to the life. The other dwarves nod knowingly, recalling Inod, and clear the way to the Craftsdwarf's Workshop. Rigoth runs past, and barricades himself into the Clothes Maker's Shop, shouting for unattainable things.

sbach2o

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2006, 03:41:00 am »

A bit off-topic:

quote:
Originally posted by 20,000leeks:
<STRONG> Finally, after frothing at the mouth, he collapses outside, too weak to hold onto his crazed existence. The other dwarves hold a minute silence for his poor, mad soul, and then continue their work. So far nobody has bothered to move him to the refuse pit.
</STRONG>

Deceased dwarves don't belong on refuse piles. You could designate a graveyard pile outside, near the refuse pile, and the body should be carried there eventually. That will still let him rot in plain sight of the others, though.

I think an appropriate funeral for even the lowest dwarf should be inside, in a small (for now) chamber where you place an array of coffins - actually one coffin should do in your situation, though there might be need for a second shortly. See the Wiki for how it's done. I had trouble myself with figuring it out.

[ October 19, 2006: Message edited by: sbach2o ]

20,000leeks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2006, 04:00:00 am »

In an earlier version, I noticed a dwarf corpse in my refuse pile. I assumed they just took him there (extremely cynical dwarves?), but perhaps he just happened to be there when he went to the great big Fortress in the sky.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2006, 04:09:00 am »

hmm... i just got a Ruby Chain... made from a single ruby.

And does anyone know how to see the whole name for your artifacts? [l] seems to give the best, but all i see is:
Vostazamud Fokergegetbem Thilseg, Hustledthunder the Slipper Violet Flute of

it's a blowgun...

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2006, 05:06:00 am »

Linguistics research.

Vostaz-amud Foker-geget-bem Thilseg
(Hustle-thunder Slip-violet-flute Tarnish)

If I may hazard a guess, I'd say it's name would be "Hustledthunder, the Slippery Violet Flute of Tarnishing".

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2006, 06:13:00 am »

I had a metalsmith make a tin crown decorated with zinc. I was surprised by that. He did, perhaps fittingly, become a legendary furnace operator.

DimmurWyrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2006, 01:55:00 am »

fey moods (and the variants) suck :/ the artifacts are essentially worthless to me and the 95% loss rate of my dwarves (or be forced to expand with reckless abandon which is a guarantee'd loss anyway.) just bores the hell out of me... I just lost every woodcutter/carpenter I had because a legendary woodcutter went berserk because it wanted a metal I didn't have (and I still don't know what it was because I had tin, copper, bronze, brass, silver, gold, platinum, iron, coke... so probably pig iron or steel (his like was iron))

mostly I get NOTHING I need when it works and often lose something I DO need when it fails... to me this "feature" feels like a let's screw the player over with some outrageous demand that has to be done right now or he loses at least one dwarf and possibly many... OR force people to do such things as make crafting rooms locked away and or drownable etc. which is ludicrous in and of itself.

Ah well :/ would have been nice if this had been left out til the rewards could balance the negatives cuz right now it's pure 100% negative as far as I can tell.

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2006, 03:17:00 pm »

My Metalsmith got a Fey Mood and decided to occupy the before so industrious bronze-armor  producing forge. With him needing ore and rough gems, I hurried over the chasm digging for the more precious metals, seeing with joy that he neglected the more common ores.
When the dreamy smith chose to pick up two gold nuggets, I was over me; fineally a moody  beardsling to not make something horrid out of zink, rat weed, or the jaw bone of a gremlin, but gold inset with gems!
I however could not venture into his disturbed mind to see what kind of gems he wanted, even with me eventually possessing near a dozen different sorts of rough gems, among those three types of raw glass. And he still insisted on needing ore, despite having easy access to all ores 'cept the Adamant of Legend.

His darker fluids eventually rose to his melancholic head, as he jumped from a cliff into the cave river.

My question is: If I load the backup I made after he got moody, will his demands change from some RNG willfulness, or can I safely use the method of elimination to find out which gem he needs?
Also: do I understand the claims 'ore' and 'rough gems' correctly (unworked ore/uncut gem/raw glass)? Can ore mean metal bars/rough gems mean cut gems or something even worse?

In Memoriam Dumat Idenâl, Metalsmith

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2006, 05:59:00 pm »

Ore always means a specific unrefined metal ore.

Rough gems usually refer to any uncut gem you have lying around OR uncut glass.

EDIT: It's kind of crazy that that guy before had a dwarf make a crown that incorporated zinc.  Under normal circumstances, dwarves don't have the know-how to turn cassiterite into zinc, but apparently a dwarf possessed can do it.

[ October 22, 2006: Message edited by: Seryntas ]

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12