Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Possessions, Fey moods and more  (Read 22359 times)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possessions, Fey moods and more
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2006, 11:35:00 pm »

I think I read somewhere that you can get plant thread from Pigtails?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 12:06:00 am »

Yeah, you can process it in the farmer's workshop.  There are many options there, but just do "process plants".
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 12:28:00 am »

You people complain too much. Remember, losing is fun! It's not supposed to be too easy.

A dwarf of mine just went berserk because I didn't have a specific ore for him. He had a crossbow and a quiver (but luckily no bolts) and managed to kill some 4 or 5 of my other dwarves before running into a cage trap. Now he's in my zoo with all the other little creatures.

Meanwhile, in addition to the 4-5 dwarves the berserker killed, another dwarf threw a tantrum and destroyed a bridge on which another dwarf was standing. This resulted in the other dwarf falling into the chasm and three other dwarves (including the one who destroyed the bridge) getting stuck on the other side of the chasm with no food or pretty much anything else.. They have a well, though. And a lot of "Cancels job: Could not find path" messages to share.

To go with the story, here's a BONUS BUG REPORT: They also have a legendary miner with a pick, and I have another bridge crossing the chasm, the tunnels just aren't connected. When I try to dig to connect them, the designation on the tile nearest to the stuck miner wears off before he can get to it. The other side of the tunnel works, so my slower miners are trying to get the stuck dwarves out of there, but it's taking a lot longer than it would, should the legendary miner work, too. I don't know what cancels it. He's hungry, but not yet catching vermin to eat.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 01:02:00 am »

...I wonder what effect a crazy dwarf in a cage has on morale...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 01:29:00 am »

I just call it a warning example.

EDIT: I just struck the.. well.. the third thing in the mountain, after the river and the chasm. I hadn't heard about it, so I don't want to spoil it for the others who haven't got there yet.

Man, that's graphically well made. The yellow things flying from the surface look great. It has this semi-3D feel.

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Maurog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2006, 02:12:00 am »

Maybe a possessed dwarf who goes insane and then dies can become a ghost and haunt the workshop? Nobody wants to work in a haunted place, and I bet anyone assigned to dismantle a haunted workshop won't be too happy about it either.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2006, 04:11:00 am »

Oh, one addition to the story of the berserking dwarf above. Among the dwarves he managed to beat to death with his crossbow was the Village Liaison. The caravan has an interesting report to make this year.

frumiousj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006, 10:55:00 am »

My metalsmith's been possessed by a fey mood...how do I hear these mutterings that people are talking about? When I go into his labor menu, he screams about needing "the proper surface to work on" (my metal shop is fixed now, by the way - i needed to dig new entrance paths to get the dwarves to go in it)and "the correct ore". Do these mean anything, or are they just general sayings by the fey?

Hmm...he likes onyx and star sapphire. This might be tough.

He doesn't like any ore, though...?

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: frumiousj ]

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2006, 11:34:00 am »

How to get these weird moods and possessions? Do you have to dig deep and disturb some...thing? I once reached the chasm, but never got any mood for my dwarves.
Speaking of which: I once played a terryfing map, and there was a Skeletal Alligator(later, he went away and I got a Zombified one instead). After some time, I checked on him...and he had become MELANCHONIC! That also happened to a frogman who attacked me once...he was struck by melanchony...oh me...weird, isn't it?

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »

Right now I've got a possessed metalsmith occupying the only metalsmithy that I own, don't even have any other anvils. He's been asking for particular gems and particular ore, but out of all the gems and ore I got he doesn't want any of it.

Guess I'll try locking him up and starving him out, next time I play.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »

The hints are pretty vague -- if they don't have anything in their prefs, and they ask for an ore, then you'll have to try everything that's reachable at your depth, which is fairly mean.

You just need 20+ (I think) dwarves, and then this eventually starts happening.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2006, 08:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stromko:
<STRONG>Guess I'll try locking him up and starving him out, next time I play.</STRONG>
Fairly certain 'inspired' dwarves don't hunger or thirst...  but they will eventually go insane if their demands aren't met, releasing the workshop.

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

frumiousj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2006, 09:41:00 pm »

If they ask for ore, do they want the unworked ore or do they need it smelted into metal for them?

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2006, 09:44:00 pm »

ore, if they want bars, they'll say bars.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2006, 09:52:00 pm »

Every time I've seen someone go into a strange mood, they always want the raw form of the item--I've lost jewelers to insanity because I had cut all my gems and they wanted the rough gems.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12