Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Possessions, Fey moods and more  (Read 22085 times)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possessions, Fey moods and more
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2006, 12:23:00 am »

Woo! Just got my first artifact! It's a, um, pine door. That my carpenter is now lugging around with her everywhere she goes. This is because she is insane.

However! By achieving legendary status she has just exempted herself from the "secret project" my miners are constructing to "welcome" the rest of her friends to the fortress. (Fourteen is way to much for the first wave...I just barely scraped through the winter as it was.)

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2006, 07:16:00 am »

I just had a dwarf struck by a strange mood and take 3 basalt stone to create a toy hammer artifact...and become a legendary ENGRAVER(although toy hammers are made by stone crafters...)That was quite good because just a few moments ago my legendary engraver - who had reached that level by PRACTICE - had attacked someon and got killed(despite being ultra mighty...). That's what happens when they suffer the 'travesty of art defacing'..

frumiousj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2006, 08:44:00 am »

Anyone know why my possessed metal smith is still crying for "a proper surface to work on", when he has the metalsmith's forge claimed and a nearby wood furnace and smelter, and that he still "must have the correct ore", even though he dragged some tin-producing ore into his workshop?

Mirsha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2006, 08:58:00 am »

You can make steel anvils rather than normal anvils which is why he might be looking for a proper surface to work on.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2006, 11:20:00 am »

OK, I've got a fisherdwarf who took over a crafts shop (?). Instead of screaming, he's drawn sketches. He has:

Pictures of skeletons
Pictures of a forest
Pictures of a quarry
Pictures of stacked cloth
Pictures of an ore mine

He dragged bones, wood, cloth, and stone into the shop, so that should take care of the skeletons, forest, and quarry (and cloth, obviously). That leaves the ore mine. On his thoughts list he prefers silver. Great, I've got plenty of galena. Only... he won't touch it. I leave him for a while, resigned to letting insanity take him, then it occurs to me that maybe for some reason he wants bars (even though every previous mood I've seen always grabbed the ore itself). So I make some silver bars. He still won't touch them. What's the deal here?

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: RPB ]

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2006, 12:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mirsha:
<STRONG>You can make steel anvils rather than normal anvils which is why he might be looking for a proper surface to work on.</STRONG>
But... he's claimed the metalsmith's workshop.  Unless they have another one, how does he expect them to make a better anvil?
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2006, 01:53:00 pm »

Sounds like it's time to lock the doors and let nature take its course.

I wonder... if helping insane dwarves to recover is too kind and gentle for this game, maybe we can have mercy killings implemented?

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2006, 04:57:00 pm »

I just had a Jewler claim the Craftsdwarf shop, gather up some turtle shell and rough gems of a type I don't remember, and create 'Matulsibrek', which I believe means 'Salvesdance'.

It's a mini-forge that he now carries around with him at all times.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2006, 05:20:00 pm »

I had a jeweler create an Emerald Bed once.  Only, I didn't know you could make beds out of emeralds.  I also didn't know you could make beds out of emeralds when you don't HAVE any emeralds.

Also, that bed happens to be just under a third of my Fortress's net worth.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Garthor ]

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Garthor ]

Empirus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2006, 07:26:00 pm »

A few hours ago, I had one of my metalsmith's take over the forge and used three units of tin.  I don't remember the name of the artifact, but it was a tin crown.  It was made of tin, spiked with tin, and engraved with tin.  Relatively worthless, but it was my first artifact. (and for some reason, it made the dwarf legendary in furnace operating)

Unfortunately, people soon started starving and tantruming before I realized that my fishery wasn't doing anything.  I eventually decided to use my floodgate to conveniently defy certain laws of physics.

The funny thing was, soon before pulling the lever of DOOM, I had a broker, a sheriff, a... uh, someone else important, and about 8 migrants show up.  I thought to myself, "Dude, I wish that sheriff would've gotten here sooner!"  :roll:

I know, once things are flooded simple errors like that don't really matter, but still...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2006, 07:39:00 pm »

Supposedly the floodwaters outside are only about a foot deep or so.  This came straight from Toady's mouth at one point or another.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2006, 09:03:00 pm »

Is there any use for artifacts? Since the dwarves just carry them around, it would seem the only bonuses are the skill and attribute bonuses a dwarf receives when they complete the task.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2006, 09:12:00 pm »

Well, when/if the dwarf dies, he'll drop it - I got to place a legendary weapons rack when the guy who made it ran into frogmen.

It singlehandedly made my nobles bedroom into a grand bedroom.

Other than that, not so much, which is annoying when they make a legendary floodgate (seriously, of all the things you could make...) - those things are heavy!

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2006, 11:01:00 pm »

I had a craftsman create a legendary marble bed, and he didn't get any skill increases. is this intended?

also, why can he make legendary stone beds but not regular ones? the option to craft stone beds would really help the playability of low/no wood maps and late-game when you've deforested most of the map and your woodcutters and haulers keep aborting their tasks because of wildlife.

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2006, 11:07:00 pm »

Id say a comfy bed made out of stone couldnt be anything short of legendary.

'This stone... its so... SOFT'

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12