Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Possessions, Fey moods and more  (Read 22092 times)

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possessions, Fey moods and more
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2006, 02:21:00 am »

Soapstone beds! Not only are they comfy, they clean you while you sleep!(Must have sweatglands to create suds(sweatglands not included))

[ August 19, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2006, 03:51:00 am »

You can get shafted on the skill increased if it's an actual possession.  Artifacts allow many non-standard materials.  Right now, beds are one of the challenges of low-wood maps, though different beds could be introduced...  probably not stone though, unless there's also bedding.  Then you could have a badass gold bed with a puppy leather comforter or something.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2006, 05:07:00 am »

There was a legendary stone bed in Return of the Condor Heroes.  Although it was mostly legendary for being cold and hard...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Bobberroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2006, 05:40:00 am »

One of my miners just became a legendary miner from crafting a Amud Ezar, "The Thunder of Soldiers," a Obsidian coffin.

Unfortunately she won't let the damned thing go, so she's only moving at 1/2 speed. Is there any way of making her put it down without killing her?

Hm.. maybe I can set off a trap via lever when she's standing on it or something and hope it lops off one of her arms.

Urganite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2006, 05:52:00 am »

I've come up with a simple solution for fey/possessed/wounded/unhappy dwarves. Build channels/bridges through the whole fortress with a flood gate in every room. If a dwarf goes fey, gets possessed, cuts his finger, or complains about it being cloudy, lock the room and drown him. If I didn't spend 4 or 5 hours a day for the last three days playing this game, I wouldn't have known dwarves were such pussies/blood-thirsty maniacs. I'll even put the lever in the room itself and make the dwarf in question pull it themselves, bwahaha! I guess that wouldn't work with fey though...

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2006, 01:50:00 pm »

It's interesting that a possessed character of mine is now asking for wood, and I've got both acacia and willow logs (the only ones on my map, incidentally) stashed up. Well, there are also towercaps, but it'll take years for any of these to grow to maturity. I somehow think the game doesn't bother to check which resources are available before applying the fey mood, and simply picks them at random.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2006, 02:03:00 pm »

Every time I've had someone go possessed and demand wood, they just grabbed whatever was available whether it was their preference or not. Similarly, if someone prefers a type of light stone or dark stone, they'll just grab any stone of the matching type (e.g. someone who likes moonstone will go grab marble and use that).

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2006, 02:41:00 pm »

That wasn't the case with me. He wanted shiny gems... And I had plenty of those, even bothered to dig up four new types for his sake; he still went insane.

Funny thing was that I had set his axe skills pretty high, and his profession as a carpenter required that he don one at all times; he killed the only other guy with high axe skills I had, as well as two other fellows, before getting slaughtered by a cow... So much for my wish to raise a standing army.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2006, 02:42:00 pm »

From the sounds of it you should just breed lots of cows for defense.  :)

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2006, 02:46:00 pm »

Toady, could you possibly alter the jewelers' possessions to accept cut gems as well as rough gems? I have so many dwarves and have such a high production quota for trading that I queue my gems for cutting as soon as I get them so that it keeps my jewelers busy and keeps me ready for the caravans.

So when a jeweler (or sometimes others) gets possessed, it's unfortunately a foregone conclusion that they are going to die.

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2006, 02:56:00 pm »

I don't think my food supply should also be my standing army. That kind of thing causes conflicts of interest.

Urganite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »

I'm telling you guys, make every room and workshop individually floodable, ends the possession problem real quick and frees up the room for a dwarf that isn't a giant dipshit

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2006, 03:24:00 pm »

Better yet, just keep most of your gems uncut. That way, instead of insane berserkers or bloated dead drowned corpses, you get a bunch of free legendary craftsmen and insanely valuable artifacts.

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RPB:
<STRONG>Better yet, just keep most of your gems uncut. That way, instead of insane berserkers or bloated dead drowned corpses, you get a bunch of free legendary craftsmen and insanely valuable artifacts.</STRONG>
And I also have a bunch of idle jewelers and gems that are totally useless unless they are the specific type a jeweler wants when he gets possessed which is unlikely when I have two jewelers out of 77 dwarves.

See my dilemma?

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2006, 04:48:00 pm »

A new Artifact has been made in my fortress. Ritholzimkel, "The Noble Plain". A pair of spider silk cloth gloves, encircled with bands of bronze. And images of dwarves in Spider Silk.

I wonder if he'll actually wear them instead of carrying them around.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12