Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Possessions, Fey moods and more  (Read 22069 times)

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possessions, Fey moods and more
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2006, 06:57:00 am »

Instead of the usual round flat base, I would guess your legendary goblet has four spikes sticking downwards and outwards.

It is in fact one of the new developments for advanced tactical tavern warfare. The goblet itself holds drink just fine. The four spikes form a square which is perfectly stable on flat surfaces during peacetime.

Upon the beginning of hostilities, one is presented with a number of options. The most obvious is to use the goblet as an offensive weapon (even though most other races would consider a normal goblet filled with dwarven alcohol an offensive weapon anyway).

Alternatively, the goblet can be jabbed downwards onto an appropriate surface (such as a wooden bar counter), whereby the spikes firmly fix the goblet in place, thus preventing the most heinous of crimes in dwarfdom: spilling alcohol.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2006, 10:47:00 am »

So what's the most stuff you've ever had a dwarf aquire for an artifact?

My metalsmith just gathered three malachite, silk cloth, flint blocks, silk thread, lion leather, sphalerite, oaken logs and reed cloth.

Took him forever, too, since he was using my magma forge, which is on the far side of my fortress.

End result: "Strongshields the Quick Messiah of Hills," a copper crossbow.

This is a copper crossbow. It is studded with copper, decorated with cave spider silk and encircled with bands of cave spider silk and zinc. This object menaces with spikes of copper, lion leather and rope reed. On the item are images of mangrave trees in copper. On the item are images of stranglers in oak.

Most ridiculously ornate weapon ever.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2006, 11:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AlStar:
<STRONG>...This object menaces with spikes of rope reed....</STRONG>

Sure sounds menacing to me.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2006, 03:25:00 pm »

My metalsmith grabbed a lot of stuff and still wants more (probably specific gems - he likes jade). Too bad I won't see what concoction of 3 tin, mangrove logs, cloth, rough gems and cut gems he had in mind...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2006, 05:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>
Sure sounds menacing to me.</STRONG>

If you're a rope reed plant, it's downright frightening!

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Morgan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2006, 04:56:00 pm »

My craftsdwarf demanded a "proper surface" and was not satisfied until I made him stone blocks from light stone (limestone).

seizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2006, 05:36:00 pm »

I've lost 4/4 fey mood dwarves so far. Right now I have a mason who've just claimed a craftdwarf's workshop screaming for the right stone and thread. Apparantly he likes moonstone, and he has dragged a piece of it to his workshop. There are about 10 pieces of moonstone available. There's also 3 pieces of cave spider thread. Neither interest him in the slightest. The same thing happened to the previous unfortunates, so I don't have high hopes for this guy.     :(

Edit: Apparently any old thread wouldn't do, he needed rope reed thread.

[ September 05, 2006: Message edited by: seizer ]

[ September 05, 2006: Message edited by: seizer ]

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2006, 12:24:00 pm »

bah.. i had a newbie clothmaker occupying the clothmaker shop (practically as soon as he immigrated)

asked for threads and clothes... except i've no threads and the 3 farms i've had going just isn't planting the right thing (well.. 1 set as pigtails, 1 cave wheat and 1 sweetpod... and they keep planting anything but tails)

.. so he went nuts and go around running nude.. (and that's that... nothing happened before i killed the game... had to redo the layout)

then someone else got themselves ambushed and killed by a toad at the river... no corpse (as it's in the river.. i think) but a grave is occupied by him..

a different game.. and i had some snakeman jumping out of ambush.. weird thing is that it's practically 1 tile into the cliff... i thought you only get ambush nearer to the cave river.. and that's far away. the room is a barracks, next to a well room.. weird

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2006, 03:10:00 pm »

Number one cause of death: "I need the proper ore!"

I swear, their shopping lists just get longer with time. The worse two are shells (which depend on the fisherdwarves' mood that day) and threads (which need to be made right-on-time before they suffer THE WEAVING RAGE OF THE CRAZY WEAVERS)

Gems aren't -totally- useless. You can use three for a window. ... what else... you can fulfill demands from the nobles. right.

seizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

I got really worried when my legendary mason went into a fey mood. Since I am past the chasm I figured he'd want some exceedingly rare gems. Instead he wanted...talc. And andesite. He went on to create Ubasushul, a Andesite Cabinet:

quote:
This is a Andesite cabinet. All craftmanship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of Andesite and Talc.  

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2006, 06:06:00 pm »

I'm not sure if time is a factor. I've seen them demand 8-10 items for a mood during the first years, and on year 5 I'm still sometimes getting someone who just grabs 2-3 items tops.

Is it just me, or does the "peculiarly secretive" mood involve a greater number of objects than the other types of mood?

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2006, 07:15:00 pm »

I would just like to comment at this point, that one of my dorfs made a silk floodgate.
It was for naught, though. Shortly after, he was injured in a frogman attack and is now tantruming, even though he's too weak to actually get out of bed.

Won't drop the damn floodgate though.

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2006, 07:45:00 pm »

I had now two fey-mooded dwarves who used raw glass as an uncut gem. As they found everything they needed straight away I can't tell whether  they wanted those glasses specifically or just took what was there. But as I had a few mooded dwarves go nuts earlier due to missing raw gems when I thought I had provided all posibilities but the extremly rare ones, it might well be that those raw glasses are sometimes demanded as gems.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2006, 04:52:00 pm »

good grief.. one of my craftsdwaves has occupied the crafts shop and demanding shell, stone block and skeleton.. which i take to mean shell, block and bone..

where am i going to find shell from? fish, clean and wait for some moron to eat it?

cleaning should definitely give the shell, rather than eating...

--

well, he's gone nuts now..
.. ps.. bone + shell bin will do nicely too
---
funny enough.. another dwarf went weird afterwards and made that item after someone finally spat out some shells..

[ September 11, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]

MikeWulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2006, 09:28:00 pm »

Has anyone else found that they will collect the items in a certain order? I for the longest time had one fey guy sitting there till I had leather. He then proceeded to get the leather, bones, shell, stone and gems.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12