Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Possessions, Fey moods and more  (Read 22077 times)

seizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possessions, Fey moods and more
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2006, 04:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bbb:
<STRONG>good grief.. one of my craftsdwaves has occupied the crafts shop and demanding shell, stone block and skeleton.. which i take to mean shell, block and bone..

where am i going to find shell from? fish, clean and wait for some moron to eat it?

cleaning should definitely give the shell, rather than eating...

--

well, he's gone nuts now..
.. ps.. bone + shell bin will do nicely too
---
funny enough.. another dwarf went weird afterwards and made that item after someone finally spat out some shells..

[ September 11, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]</STRONG>

Having an indoors refuse pile helps with this, since the refuse won't get removed between seasons.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2006, 10:21:00 pm »

I have a child whos taken over my craftsman workshop demanding the following:
blocks/bricks
bones
cloth thread
particular ore
rough color
metal bars
a shell

Keep in mind, I have a 5th year fortress, and have discovered about half the ore there is, have a gem of almost every type, a well stocked refuse pile, and a block of rock-lightstone-darkstone. What more can I do?

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2006, 11:35:00 pm »

they seem to consider raw glass of the various types as rough gems as well. You might try making some of that.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2006, 01:04:00 am »

quote:
Having an indoors refuse pile helps with this, since the refuse won't get removed between seasons.

... really? since when?

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2006, 01:36:00 am »

quote:
they seem to consider raw glass of the various types as rough gems as well.

What in the world is a "raw" glass ?

Ephphatha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2006, 07:39:00 am »

Just thought I should add my experience.

Had a mechanic get taken by a fey mood yesterday. He locked himself up in my workshop room and proceeded to craft a spiked obsidian mechanism named something or other (forget what it's called now). I used it for my master floodgate mechanism.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2006, 12:39:00 pm »

"raw" glass should be the 1st thing in each of the glass submenus (... just had someone take a green glass yesterday)

2nd year.
shell
thread/cloth
gem (oddly, took 2, 1 gem and 1 glass)
ore
can't remember if there was anything else... ..ps.. possession... crown

---
... um.. how do you use artifact furnitures?.. i think i've got an artifact door somewhere.. might still be held in his hand though

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2006, 03:05:00 pm »

There is a new artifacts list added to the main menu. Apparently one of my artifacts was (Lost) when the dwarf got carried away in the river.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2006, 12:37:00 am »

main menu? i know "l" ingame brings up a list

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »

i love the fey/possession type things sometimes. sometimes i scramble to get the dwarf in question everything that they could possibly need, anticipating a greatly skilled dwarf who can speed up the growth of my fortress with his productivity. other times, i know that i'm going to have to strive to build something that'll take a little too much work to get up and running, so i lock them in their work shop to starve.

anyhow, this time around i'd set seven by seven rooms with a central pillar so i could put four workshops into each for efficiency, instead of using five by five rooms with a shop in the middle and stockpiles about them, and one of my dwarves was possessed..
he demanded stone. easy.
he demanded wood. easy.
he demanded thread. a dwarf collecting webs quickly provided this.
he demanded rough gems. right. this would have been easy, but it seems he wanted glass, that i hadn't gotten around to preparing a shop for yet.
i can't lock everybody out of this workshop, as this happens to be a central hub in my fortress at this moment, so i wait half a season and then station my wrestlers there, ready to deal with him when he flips, incase he decides to pose a danger to society.

of course, the best laid plans can go pear shaped with ease. mmm.. pears... could we get those added as a food type, toady?

anyway, to put colour to the events that transpired...

Bomrek Tatloshral: I need junk to make this awsome artifact!
Sibrek Kolustir: You couldn't make a mess.
Bomrek Tatloshral: ...
Bomrek Tatloshral: Could too!
Sibrek Kolustir: Haha, you make me laugh.
Bomrek Tatloshral: That isn't a laugh. This is a laugh!
Bomrek Tatloshral laughs in a sinister manner.
Tekkud Dodókkerlîg starts singing to the tune of singing in the rain.
Tekkud Dodókkerlîg: I'm mining out a drain, yes mining out a drain...
Bomrek Tatloshral: How irritating. Now where's my glass, to put a mosaic on this awsome crown i'm making. One could say it's going to be fit for a king.
Bomrek Tatloshral laughs at his own joke, prompting groans from several people as well as causing Tekkud Dodókkerlîg to inwardly cringe.
A squad of wrestlers walks into the room, does a token patrol and then declares it lunch time and head off to the food stock piles to get a cow cheese roast, with added minced plump helmet spawn, minced plump helmet spawn, minced plump helmet spawn, minced plump helmet spawn and last but not least, minced plump helmet spawn.
Bomrek Tatloshral: Anybody would think they've been sent here to keep an eye on me...
Bomrek Tatloshral waits for a moment for somebody to comment him and save his frazzled nerves.
Sibrek Kolustir: You're a right arse you know?
Bomrek Tatloshral feels tears welling up in his eyes. Inspiration had struck him, his vision of perfection had come to him, and now all that his peers could do was laugh at him and insult him as that vision slowly faded from his mind.
Sibrek Kolustir: Aww, did i hurt your feelings? Good, i've been trying to make doors to do useful stuff, like stop flood waters, now stop whining and do something useful you layabout.
Bomrek Tatloshral screams in fury, before diving on Sibrek Kolustir, who's eyes go wide in shock as the berserk mason starts beating him to death, breaking limbs and finally bringing an end to things as he bashes his head off a work surface. Sibrek Kolustir has been struck down.
Tekkud Dodókkerlîg: By the great bearded one, what happened here!?
Bomrek Tatloshral: YOU! You mocked me! You die now!
Tekkud Dodókkerlîg hops back as the berserk mason charges at him, before sweeping his feet out from under him with his pick and bringing down the mining tool on the suprised dwarf's chest. Bomrek Tatloshral has been struck down.
Tekkud Dodókkerlîg: Er... That wasn't supposed to happen.
Tekkud Dodókkerlîg glances about nervously, only to notice the nearby Sherrif not only doesn't seem to care in the slightest, but didn't make a move to apprehend the berserk dwarf either.
Tekkud Dodókkerlîg: Well then, back to work i go. Hi ho, hi ho..
Kadol Tarmidmonom: Watch it, continue singing like that and you'll get a beating and a night in the cells.
Tekkud Dodókkerlîg: Is there no justice in this world!?

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2006, 03:35:00 pm »

mine just demanded raw clear glass

just as well i had some potash made already.. (had to quickly turn some into pearlash and then to clear glass... what a pain)

...didn't realise legendary dwarves are vulnerable to moods (funny how the bio says he doesn't care anymore or some such)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2006, 11:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DDouble:
<STRONG>There is a new artifacts list added to the main menu. Apparently one of my artifacts was (Lost) when the dwarf got carried away in the river.</STRONG>

It isn't exactly 'new', or at least it's not new to the game if that's what you meant.  It's been there since the first released version, but it only appears after you have at least one artifact, just like the nobles menu.

Unless that's what you meant, in which case, er, carry on.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2006, 01:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RPB:
<STRONG>I'm not sure if time is a factor. I've seen them demand 8-10 items for a mood during the first years, and on year 5 I'm still sometimes getting someone who just grabs 2-3 items tops.

Is it just me, or does the "peculiarly secretive" mood involve a greater number of objects than the other types of mood?</STRONG>

Don't think so.  I just had a secretive dwarf require silk thread and leather.  It was during Year 2.

jmrt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2006, 01:22:00 pm »

Well, I've just had a fey mood use up 8 items, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the first time...

That last one was an interesting case - grabbed some marble and then sat forever in his craftsdwarf's shop waiting for rough gems, which made me kinda worried since my current fortress already lost 2 wannabe legendary dwarves to cravings for exotic gems. Turned out it was crystal glass he wanted, not exactly an easy task since half of my nobles have a rock crystal fetish.

Then he wanted shells. I'm beginning to think that a dwarf who likes turtle is quite invaluable in a fortress, given that my food stocks must include about 5 turtles to.. 400 plump helmets and at least 500 prepared meals.
Add some wood, platinum and a few diamonds to the mix and... bingo !

That dwarf promptly graduated to Legendary Engraver. Which I find somewhat less than impressive, considering that he already was a High Master Engraver to begin with.

(On the other hand I've got to admit that a ring worth 84000 coins is kinda impressive.  I mean, that thing alone could probably buy out all the caravans I'm likely to get in the next 50 years.)

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2006, 03:26:00 pm »

I just got a possessed craftsdwarf (no skill increase goddamnit) make UmozthŒdas, Rampagefrills, a  ring.

This is a  ring.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encrusted with Turquoise, studded with tin, decorated with turtle shell and encircled with bands of turtle shell.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of dog leather and menaces with spikes of cave fish bones.  On the item are images of batmen in Sapphire.  On the item are images of Mangrove trees in green glass.  On the item are images of Ogres in pig tail.

Uh huh.

[ September 21, 2006: Message edited by: Abyssal Squid ]

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12