Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat messages in "Fortress Mode"  (Read 1932 times)

XLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat messages in "Fortress Mode"
« on: August 12, 2006, 04:09:00 am »

Hello again!

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for a while now and I have to say it really rocks   :)

While playing in the "Fortress Mode" however im not getting the combat messages telling me how the combatants are doing.

Is there a way to get these messages in the game mode?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Combat messages in "Fortress Mode"
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 10:12:00 am »

It should give death messages for your dwarves.  It doesn't give messages for anything else, though I could make this an option easily if that's what you wanted.  It would glut you with messages though.  How did you want them displayed?

[ August 12, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »

Hrm.  Maybe there could be a 'combat log' that shows a blow-by-blow history of recent combat?  The only problem is that with many dwarves fighting in different parts of the fortress, this could rapidly become incoherent...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Ginseng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 12:24:00 pm »

Maybe a list of what the dwarf is fighting and where and you select that dwarf and it would display that dwarfs combat history only?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 12:40:00 pm »

General tracking like this might fit into some of the legend ideas -- a combat log could be kept between whichever combatants get involved over a period of time.  For important fights, these could be saved and then processed for the legends.  The announcements themselves could be generated for dwarf mode from the same info.  Then it could start giving certain fights names and so on.

Curiousepic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »

WHat I really really want is to report what causes an "interrupted by combat" message... there are times when I get spammed by my fisherdwarves getting interrupted and I can't for the life of me find out why... flies perhaps?  But yeah, that would be extremely useful, as well as a button press to zoom to the message.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 12:56:00 pm »

Yeah, most of the time it's just those annoying deer and things.  It should happen less in 19b/c, but it'll still happen.  A very simple thing I could do in the short term is just say "Interrupted by deer." or some such thing.  "Interrupted by troll."  "Interrupted by dragon."  That kind of thing.

Curiousepic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »

Even taht would be preferable.  but the thing is, on my unit screen, I actually have no wildlife (except for a crocidile that I can't locate, perhaps he's hiding below water and peeking his head up to scare the fisher every so often  :D) where i am... very bizzare.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 02:22:00 pm »

quote:
Yeah, most of the time it's just those annoying deer and things.

Its not just "annoying deer", its a killing machine with sharp horns for piercing innocent dwarves, and heavy hooves for trampling innocent dwarves, and small fluffy tails for hypnotizing innocent dwarves..and...and...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 02:30:00 pm »

You can zoom to the crocodile from the unit screen, and then set a bunch of bare-fisted wrestlers after it.

XLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »

Making the "interrupted by combat" message more precise is a good idea too.
It wouldnt clog up the screen more than it already does and is way more informative.

As to the "blow-by-blow" description I think that it should depend on the dwarf.

Some dwarves might be more important and will do most of the fighting anyway, other just add  in a few blows into the party and shouldnt be watched in such detail.

So there should be some setting somewhere in the dwarfs individual menu.