Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I read your keyboard.  (Read 13867 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: I read your keyboard.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 11:41:43 pm »

Psh, not my laptop.
Shoes...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 11:43:14 pm »

Psh, not my laptop.

As in, "HA! Dust?! In MY laptop?! PSHAW!"
or "Psssssshhhh, it ain't mine. Screw Harvey. That guy's a dick."
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 11:53:29 pm »

Both of my keyboards are pristine, but there are a few smudges of orange oil pastel on my Pentium III, my brother drew on that, F7 and 8 have been drawn on with a blue permanent marker. My P4s keyboard is quite clean, no matter how many years of abuse it has stood up to. They are both white, the P4s is an off-white.

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 12:48:21 am »

This all made me laugh, until I looked down...

I quote myself, "OH S**T!"

To decribe from ESC to .

The Escape key is missing long since gone, lost in the war with the dreaded "power off" in its place is a hunk of indecript dark stuff with a tiny one inch tall grass "plant" gripping to it, moving on to the most hated and evil, and strangely pristeen key on my board the power button that mocks me with a half moon on it...every function key is coated in red "Pry your fingers off" sticky goop that tastes like cherry, dont ask how...the print screen button is worn so completely that the only way to use it and some other buttons is with a chewed pencil I never bother to replace, an awake and sleep button are directly above this and are stuck fast...beside these "where the logo would be" is a strangly set bed of lichens which also cover part of the numpad "that still works completely... the arrow keys are blackened and cracked along with that whole section of my board, the space and several letter keys are missing but have been replace with small wooden pegs that have been glued into place and the remained of the leter keys are either coated with black red or some glow-in the dark gunk that who knows where that came from...looking under neath the missing keys displays what can only be described as dirt and small bits of green can be seen here and there...turning it over is frightful because nothing falls out, except I always expect a hobo to drop out and ask me what just happened...
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 12:58:17 am »

I just wanted to add something, because some of you seem to have some really grimy keyboards!  ;D Mine used to be the same way.

However, you can - and should - give your keyboard a bath every few months. By 'bath', I mean fill up your bathtub (or sink or whatever) with lukewarm water, and fully submerge the keyboard in water, then scrub it with a toothbrush or something. Let it soak for a while, then take it out and set it in front of a fan or on top of a heater grate or whatever for a day or two (this is the hard part, since it's a pain in the butt to pick a time to stay off your computer that long sometimes).

This does NOT harm your keyboard as long as you don't plug it back in before it's completely dry - therefore you should make sure it's COMPLETELY dry, even if that means leaving it in front of the fan for longer than you want. But the result is a keyboard that doesn't accumulate any of that nasty, residual junk.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 01:00:01 am by Lord Dullard »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 01:08:30 am »

This does NOT harm your keyboard as long as you don't plug it back in before it's completely dry - therefore you should make sure it's COMPLETELY dry, even if that means leaving it in front of the fan for longer than you want. But the result is a keyboard that doesn't accumulate any of that nasty, residual junk.

Yes, the perfect way to cleanse electronics is by soaking them in water. Next time I take a bath, I'll bring my harddrive in with me. Long as it's completely dry afterwards, it should work. Right?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 01:14:51 am »

Like hell am I putting my keyboard in water.  I tried cleaning one out with a damp rag once, and even after I dried it, the thing shorted out.  Did get it working again though.

Then I tried taking it completely apart and wound up ruining something in it's center.  A radius of keys from around 'L' spreading from R/D/C to home/end stopped working.  That was an interesting few days, till I got another board.

What I'm wondering is how so many people are getting bundles of hair in their keys.  I look like a damn castaway and there's not a hair on mine.  Might be because my keyboard is halfway across my desk, so I can lay my arms on it and not screw up my wrists.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 01:31:26 am »

Yes, the perfect way to cleanse electronics is by soaking them in water. Next time I take a bath, I'll bring my harddrive in with me. Long as it's completely dry afterwards, it should work. Right?

I've done it dozens of times, with many different models of keyboards. If it shorts out, it's because you're not drying it properly first. Ditto with the damp rag, although I find it exceptionally hard to believe such a situation plausible.

http://www.43folders.com/2007/12/11/great-keyboard-bath-2007

I really don't care whether you believe me or not; after all, it's your own disgusting keyboard you have to deal with. But it's the only real way to get one clean, and it works. You just have to have the patience to let it dry. :D

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 01:58:24 am »

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Shoes...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 02:01:00 am »

I've done it dozens of times, with many different models of keyboards. If it shorts out, it's because you're not drying it properly first. Ditto with the damp rag, although I find it exceptionally hard to believe such a situation plausible.

http://www.43folders.com/2007/12/11/great-keyboard-bath-2007

I really don't care whether you believe me or not; after all, it's your own disgusting keyboard you have to deal with. But it's the only real way to get one clean, and it works. You just have to have the patience to let it dry. :D

Some keyboards, 'specially older ones, have much more sophisicated electronics. Normally, however, those sophisticated electronics are easily removed from the plastic portion of the keyboard. Just hack at it with a screwdriver until you can separate the front from the rear: most models have the keys embedded into the front half of the keyboard, meaning that the only way to remove them is to forcefully apply pressure to some sort of plastic clip. Then, on your average keyboard, you'll find a flimsy plastic sheet of sorts with a bunch of squishy rubber buttons on it. Be VERY careful with these, as they can be torn off relatively easily. Still, if one does come off, you could just glue it back on: be sure to leave the contact (little metallic area) uncovered. This flimsy plastic bit can be washed (delicately) without fear of short circuiting or rust. Then, you should notice the wire (plugged into your computer) leading to a small (possibly enormous) circuitboard with some contacts that just so happen to align with identical contacts on the flimsy plastic thingy. This might be damaged by water, and shouldn't (unless you regularly dunk your keyboard in syrup) be clean, so don't bother with it. On an average keyboard, this leaves you with a faceplate with the embedded buttons, and a rear plate with, well, a lot of different little plastic supports and what-have-you. Both of these could be put in, say, your dishwasher, and would come out fine, provided that the labels are printed properly and won't wash off. Douse em' and dry em, however you see fit. Then, reassemble your perfectly clean (and functioning, unless you're an idiot or a person with an unorthodox keyboard) typing apparatus.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
I'll read your keyboard.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 04:59:19 am »

WARNING: WALL OF TEXT APPROACHING. PUT SHIELDS ONLINE NOW.

Kagus: The deafening clacking sound has prevented you from listening to music without a headphone ever since. However, this had leaded you to gain more satisfaction with what you see and type. A possible advantage when playing ASCII games ( cough ).
Your keyboard harbours life in that brownish gunk, and you need to frequently chase off biologists to keep them from taking samples of it. This intensifies the bonds between you and the keyboard, since the keyboard is somewhat alive.
Scratching the keyboard is a sign that you still have a predatorial instinct in you. Why not try your hand on bearwrestling?
You also try to keep up with the latest news, and your F5 ( refresh ) key has had to witness this personally.
Drinking Ribena Blackcurrent is a sign that you put yourself above your virtual servants. Even if it means destroying functions ( F6 ), you shall not let yourself dehydrate. Continue the good work!
The random hairs let me believes you have either cats or very small dogs. ( I do ). This also makes me believe you rarely butcher kittens, because you are an animal friend.
The right key that frequently rebels against you might be a sign of liberal rebellion in the keyboard gunk. I recommend checking the local homeless shelter to fix this.
Also, I recommend you liberalize yourself.
No loose keys is a sign that you are do not vent frustration on your computer.
And lastly, the pristine NumPad is a sign that you don't use your PC for anything mathimetical, and that you prefer to write numbers in full.

In a few words: Visual Predatorial Liberal

Reasonableman: You tend to your keyboard, a sign of organisation and discipline.
Prying off certain keys lets me believe you can have the odd mood of perfectionism, in which you like to maximize your abilities.
The screws that are missing are a slight hint of your skill at mechanism. You regularly save ( F12 ), to ensure your hard labour doesn't goes to waste.
The fact that the sleep and power button had to go also mean your keyboard is a real power horse, being ready to be mercilessly banged on 24/7. You are not really on to environmentalism too.

In a few words: A Verily Disciplined Maximizating Mechanist.

Aqizzar: Being able to go through four years with a cheap and light keyboard means you take care of your things. The spacebar refuses to budge, but you can still work with it. A sign of being able to deal with unruly servants. The right control key is a sign that you truelly are a verily ( damn you, Reasonableman! ) liberal person.
Your other side comes in to play when you hammer it down; you can be as hard and though as any right control key.
The brown crud on the sidewalls means you do clean your keyboard, but only quickly. You do the work needed, but nothing more.
That the keys around +/=, printscreen, numpad 0, and that menu key are still covered is a sign that you do not like to use standard, round numbers. Who needs zeroes anyway? You also rarely share your game with others on the internet ( printscreen ) or are just witty enough to use another ingame key for taking screenshots. However, the covered menu key leads me to believe you do not like specially added functions.
The fact that you refer to the menu key as funny also is a sign of a bond between you and your keyboard. Go ahead, give it a hug!
The S of strangling, scubadiving and sharkfishing makes me believe you like action in your games, however bizar or extreme.
The down arrow key that is worn bald is a sign you first carefully browse through your options, even those hidden on the depths of lists. Because of that, you make good decisions.
You also like change, that is why the volume buttons are not yet conquered by the invincible dust. Do not give up the fight!
The dead musquito and filthy monitor betrays the many battles fought and that are still to be fougthen to view the screen.
This is also why you like to change the volume; the audio is a trusty friend in the constant mist of visual entertainment...

In a few words: Caretaking Action Leader of Visuals.

Pnx: You rely on sturdy, working things that are basic ( a blue colour ), but work. The things in between the keys are a sign that you leave the depths of your keyboards alone, a sign of being able to let things be tranquil. Yet another example of this is allowing your cat to act as an overlord over you. ( Just like me... )
However, leaving things tranquil leads to things becoming independent or, in the depths of your keyboard, sentient. Your spacebar and left shift have already begun to resist. End this battle before it spirals out of control.
You are a left-based person. Next to not being liberal ( comrade ), you like to focus on everything left of you. If you ever get two children, make sure they walk left of you. The grimy window logo is a sign of the oppressed individual in you. Be carefull, this and the previous sign might be a very dangerous ( Molotov ) cocktail.

Just to let you know, I charge extra for the mouse.

You prefer to use the mouse. This makes you a very direct person, who doesn't like to do more then what is necessary to achieve the goal. However, it has strained your mouse so much it is now reduced to mashed catfood. The left click button is yet another sign of direct action taking; you don't have the time to right click and see all those fancy options!
The old mousepad means attachedness to old things. Yet again, you rely on old, but well-functioning things. No new-age tinkering for you!
The rubber stoppers were blocking you, a sign that you want to go forward! This, and the fact that you take direct action might very well mean you are going towards a large change in life.

In a few words: Old-school Tranquillizer Actiontaker of Directness.

Boksi: A pristine keyboard after several years of use indicates that you have taken care of your buttony friend. The dust is just a little something to remind you of the many days you have spent together. Or perhaps, the keyboard is feeling neglected. Give it a hug. Wait for Aquizzar first.
The slanted spacebar is just another gift from the keyboard. It points towards you, and thus, it's easier for you to press it. You clearly have people who scratch your back when it's itching.
You have been having contact with your liberal side ( the right side of your spacebar ) since the left side abandoned you. You are still not very sure of what to do.
When your friends don't cooperate however, you are quick to put them in the right place. Hammer them as a penalty!
With this little information, I can already say you could very well be a maffiosi. Not a godfather yet, but maybe soon...

In a few words: Mutual, but Controlling Friend of the Mob.

Duke 2.0: A dirty spacebar is a sign of luck. However, dirt between F8 and F9 is a sign of bad luck. They negate eachother out. Do not clean the spacebar without cleaning F8 and F9.
The marker J stands for Jolly Jeepers. Since J is a very central button, it is likely that you like to rest your hands at the center, you jolly Centralist that you are.
The F, stands for F---, F----- and Fast.
You engage in many discussions, sparing not one person your battles of words. You are not only good at words, you can manage to cover up things too.
The nick on the down button is a disturbing sign. You frequently bash it to view other things among your options. Constantly holding your nail their is a sign that you have a constant urge to monitor others. Beware: you might be seen by others as a dreaded slavemaster.
However, you have another side. The sound is a sign that you actually vent the side I have already spoken about against your keyboard.
It is a necessary evil that allows you to be as "sensitive" in life as you said.
Without it, you would rival an elf at wartime.

In a few words: Elven Slavemaster of Speech.

Torak: Just like others, you do not go out of your way to work more then normally. The sleep button that has been unsuccesfully jacked out is a sign of aggressiveness that is only shown by creatures that haunt the dark pits of adamantium. However, you are in a constant battle to stop this side ( = battleground ). Be wary though; if you leave your guard down, you shall become a Hulk-like creature.
The hair from your beard, however, changes all of this. It is completely acceptable to have any of the above traits when you are a dwarf. Congratulations!

In a few words: Aggressive Tantrum Dwarf of Battles.

Seabee: You too have a predatorial self. Your urge to bite might come in handy when battling fish in the occasion that you are dragged in to a river.
That the W A S D keys are very worn is a clear sign that you are a very standard person. You rarely alter keys in games, such as RPG's and the like. You like to live the normal life.
The E and F keys are caused by outburst of your predatorial self, in which you (E)quip yourself and (F)ight whoever comes in your path. In games, that is.
The J K L keys are likely worned out because of boredness, perhaps from your very standard life, in which you alternatively type J, K, L with your fingers *kljklkjkjlkjkl*.
Although, when in a certain mood, you do increase your standard life with something special, something extraordinary. That is why you have a worned , key, a key which allows you to add something that seemed finished. Beware, sometimes, it is better to be left bored then death or in perilious danger.
The enter and tab keys are yet another addition to this. Enter can also be used in standard life, but tab is more adventurous.
Perhaps, your battles with the syntax as a programmer has left it traces.
A worned left shift key is yet another sign of a standard life ( oh dear ). Even the fact that you rarely go out of your way to work more then normal are reflected by this. It is very standardly to push the left shift key, since the right shift key is mostly awkward to use. Only adventurous people dare to go there.
The space bar that is wobbly is perhaps the predator in yourself that wants to be more rebellious. Either slam it in and keep it standard, or let it be.
The left control key is a very strange sign. Perhaps, you are more rebellious then thought, and have secret plans for a leftie revolution.
The wobbling is a sign that you are not sure about it yet. Give it a good night's sleep.
Oh dear. The S key stands for save and stay. Yet more standardization. You really should think about the revolution thing.
Maybe that oddly named fellow nextdoor with his goatie could be a better candidate.
Random keys with dust is just a sign of a good bond with your keyboard.
Ah!
The beard hairs are a hint why you have so much rebellious signs. You are a half-human ( standard ) and a half-dwarf ( rebellious )!

In a few words: Unsure but Rebellious Human-Dwarf.

Cthulhu: Ah... you have a very strange keyboard indeed, elder one. You align with the QWERTY side of life, which makes you more prone to murder and kitten slaughter. Prtscr and sysrq are old elven words for "PWned." and "Apocalypse now."
You also seem to be a very abundant person. You do not only have keys for crouching, sprinting and modification, you also actually have symbols for mathematical purpose when you very well know you can process any mathematical formula in a matter of splitseconds. Even more, you do not need a keyboard. You can use psychological waves to control your computer, and to make it run DF with over 9000 FPS on a 200 dwarf population.

In a word: Abundant Elder One of Death.

Fualkner: You are a newling in this world. Your spirit is fresh and flexable, just like your keys. The F and J keys could be a slight hint to a future in which you develop impressive speech and rebellious traits.
The crumbs could hint to the fact that you have not found your home yet. Tap your keyboard five times, then follow the crumbs towards your future.
Black and ordinary keyboards are mostly signs of people with an indeed, prosperous future ( I have one, to give you an idea ). Possibly a lot of change.
Wide and slopy keys stand for the curve of your life. Study them. You can see on them where your highest points in life will be, and where your lows will be. I would start worrying if a key is missing.

In a few words: Young Grasshopper of Adventure and Prosperity.

Bien: Smudges of orange...
Orange stands for wealth, but also for hard labour and sweat. You might become a gem trader in the desert. Blue on function keys are signs of changes in your life that might have already happened. Spell checker has been changed too something more suitably to your possibly new environment. You have changed your F8, Save mode, to something else, which might indicate bravery and a general "I'm not worried" attitude. And lastly, the keyboards are white to combat overheating in the desert during your future gem trading. Go now, Hemshi.

In a few words: Unworried Gem Trader of Wealth.

Dreadfang: Internal struggle and strife in your own has caused outbursts on your keyboard. You can no longer run away from this ( no escape key ), the grass plant that has grown instead is a sign of hope for later.
However, something in you doesn't wants to end it yet. No, it mocks you in the form of a power key. You feel uncomfortably at night, and thus hate things such as moons.
Have you had an encounter with witches before?
The red cherry liquid is a sign that you must shed blood before the struggle ends. However, as the cherry taste betrays, this is metaphorical blood. It just means someone/something must be finally defeated. In your feral battles, you have already made a chewed pencil, which shows that not all strife is bad.
The print screen button that is completely wrecked is a sign that you cannot stop and think about your life. You cannot share your battles, in life and in game, with others, and this makes it harder to fight the struggle! Keep on it!
Lichens that grow on a logo are a sign of victory for rebellious sides. You might be on the winning hand, or on the other hand, might be losing against something fighting you.
The strife has wrecked other keys, and wooden pegs are another sign of hope. One day, these might grow in to plants!
Glow in the dark gunk is a sign that you are awesome. Try to keep yourself from saying barbecuesauce too much, though.
Green stuff in your keyboard is a sign that your keyboard is almost ready to harbour civilization. Your struggle might bare the fruits of life. Fear for hoboes is an entirely rational thing.

In a few words: Struggling Person of Ferality and Cherryshedding.

Done :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 09:47:27 am by Asheron »

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 06:33:54 am »

I have heard it said that the best thing to do if you spill a drink on your key board is to run it under the tap, before whatever was in your drink messes up the connections.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 09:17:02 am »

Some more profiles are added. First, to play captain obvious, these are meant humorous, if you are offended by anything, feel free to tell me.
I'll delete them. If you like them, give this old gypsy a coin.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

Not bad Ash. I am one of the youngest members of this forum (15) I have been posting in different forums for about 2 years now. The keyboard came with the computer, and it's an okay model. Thanks fer the reading. As for a coin... I'll get back to you on that.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 01:57:37 pm »

Surprisingly accurate, I actually bought a new mouse recently(actually I got it for free from a friend but still) the old one finally broke. But the primary reason why I had that left mouse rut was because I play quite a few fpss... fpses? fps's? anyway it takes a lot of left clicking to fire that assault rifle, or shotgun (my two favorite weapon types). The shift key is probably also sticking because I do a lot of sprinting in them, when I play fps's I tend to have a suicidal mentality(in fact I fondly remember playing a medic in wolvenstein ET that sprinted towards people with a grenade in hand and blew small groups of people up, it was surprisingly effective). I frequently charge head first into situations of certain death and frequently have high kill counts... and high death counts...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4