Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 80135 times)

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 10:03:00 am »

What about Nist Akath.
That's longer than the old topic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

Don't you people think you're dwelling on irrelevant things?  No one is going to die because someone started a new FotF.  If you really want to keep the old one, just ignore this one.  The fact that everyone's using this one and the old one is sinking shows that the old one's time is up.
Shoes...

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Don't you people think you're dwelling on irrelevant things?  No one is going to die because someone started a new FotF.  If you really want to keep the old one, just ignore this one.  The fact that everyone's using this one and the old one is sinking shows that the old one's time is up.</STRONG>

Hear, hear. As much as it's fun to get a really really long thread, they get unmanageable.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

It's just annoying to see someone jump the gun so they can have the "popular" topic.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »

FotF 3 will die out in due time; what keeps it going is the few remaining threads of conversation that don't have to do with the actual future of the Fortress. Once those die out, conversation will naturally migrate over here.

Patience.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

Thread buggyness (which I haven't yet experienced) won't even be an issue anyway, since the forums will be upgraded in a few weeks.

heck, by then we can merge all the topics together and have one FotF thread epic beyond our imaginations.

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sindai:
<STRONG>
Yeah, I think you'll see the playerbase explode if you just threw together a halfway decent mouse-and-button interface for fortress mode instead of the current roguelike one. RTS and strategy game players are used to puzzling out interfaces with a lot of buttons, as long as they can click on them.

I can't see that not being priority #1 for the presentation arc. No point doing tutorials or help until the interface they're for is done.</STRONG>

I'll mention it again, just because I want to make sure someone sees it, but a simple "New to the Fortress?" link on the homepage with links to the DF Wiki and the Gameplay Questions board should help retain new players that would otherwise get scared away by the sheer options, even prior to embarking.

This requires about two minutes of time, does not require a new release of the game, and will have a noticeable impact on the number of new players (and, it stands to reason, donations).

(As a side note to the posters complaining about the new thread, I'd rather have someone make a new thread at the thousand-comment mark than lose posts.)

Derp.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 03:34:00 am »

I responded to a few things, including a few things that came up again here, at the end of the now-closed FotF 3.

Right now, only the pantheon people can accept new gods, and there's no intermediate territory, since I didn't have a race for it.  I can add more tags as people request them, but I can't promise anything for this release.

Worshippers don't care right now if the megabeast dies.  I imagine that could cut all kind of ways.  Something should happen anyway, probably all sorts of things.

The blank spot in General Discussion (or in any other of the forums) is caused whenever I delete a post.  Just another UBB quirk.  The blank spot usually goes away the next time somebody posts in that forum.

The only issue with fast-forwarding (and it would be roughly the same process used after you abandon and start a little later on) is that more of the world is fleshed out after world generation, so it needs to handle things like actual armies being present on the map and so on.  Release 2 is partially about reconciling some of these things, but it's an ongoing process and I'm not sure if/when it would be able to support something like an arbitrary fast-forward.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sindai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 07:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>The only issue with fast-forwarding (and it would be roughly the same process used after you abandon and start a little later on) is that more of the world is fleshed out after world generation, so it needs to handle things like actual armies being present on the map and so on.  Release 2 is partially about reconciling some of these things, but it's an ongoing process and I'm not sure if/when it would be able to support something like an arbitrary fast-forward.</STRONG>

Sounds like you need a clean conversion process for going from a "being built" world to a "being played" world. Once you have that, reversing it should be comparatively simple. I can imagine all kinds of nice things just falling out of this, the most obvious being he ability to stop world gen, play a game, then go back to worldgen and hear legends about your exploits hundreds of years after the fact.

Unfortunately, if the code already in place contains assumptions working against this, like using data structures during worldgen that are deleted for play, or, as you mentioned, details that are added after world gen is over, it could be very difficult to add in the first place.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 10:12:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Right now, only the pantheon people can accept new gods, and there's no intermediate territory, since I didn't have a race for it.  I can add more tags as people request them, but I can't promise anything for this release.</STRONG>

No pressure. At the rate I'm actually working on this mod, army arc may be completely finished before I reach an even playable version. (total conversion + procrastination is never really a good mix) Though the tag would be awesome whenever you get a chance.

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Adding an option to make all legends visible is on to-do for Stage 10. It isn't really in the overall spirit of the game, but since we don't have books or many other ways to expose legends, having them visible will allow people to see what I've been working on.</STRONG>

Sweet, I can see where a few days of my life are going.  I imagine in the Community area there'll be threads for making whole narratives out of worlds.  I love this game.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2008, 03:01:00 am »

Not long now precious, no...

Owait  :p

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

Yea, whit luck we might even have an update this week.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 07:20:00 am »

I know a certain date when the new release would be appropriate. June 13th. Or if you don't believe that Friday the 13th is a lucky date, 14th. We will need to do something while the current forums are down for data transfer to new forums.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

Thats brilliant, he finishes the army arc release so he doesn't have to worry about that AND the forums when he decides to make the migration.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 64