Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damned Lands, new geology  (Read 1051 times)

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
Damned Lands, new geology
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:16:46 pm »

I've had the idea of crafting an entirely new set of stone, metal ores etc for dwarf fortress as an alternative geology for a while now.

I will point out that I am still working with 38c at the moment.

http://www.geocities.com/loonypaladin/damned_lands_soil.zip

This is just the start of it, but it sets the theme I had in mind. I am still in the process of planning out how I'm going to do all of this, but I decided to have some fun by starting with the soil layers. I intended this file to be a replacement to the normal soil layers, and I have discovered it very simple to keep a modded and unmodded version of DF in seperate folders.

I am going to try and keep it on par(ish) with the normal DF in the case of relative strength and availability, but as I'm going to let my mind wander in terms of the stone, metal ores etc it will probably be wildly different. I'm going to do my best to balance it.

Anyway, this is the beginning. Twenty soil layers, with the same number of aquifiers and six sand-usable layers, which is one more than the normal DF. In other words this bit of fun is mostly cosmetic, but it might be more interesting settling on crawling flesh than peat or clay.

They are :

Crushed Bone, Mangled Bone, Clotted Blood, Torn Battlefield, Ancient Battlefield, Blighted Ash, Rotten Slime, Blooded Battlefield, Acidic Slime, Powdered Rubble, Tainted Earth, Aether Dust, Forgotten Battlefield, Crawling Flesh, Festering Mould, Shrieking Mould, Horrible Mould, Vile Ooze, Poisonous Ooze, Sunken Battlefield

Later will come stone layers, and ore, which will probably be largely from scratch. Gems will be simpler, as the sheer maddening variety in color and wealth will mean any changes I make won't be obvious anyway beyond the names. I might change the color etc of some of the really valuble ones though.

More to come later I guess.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?