Author Topic: NERO  (Read 2538 times)

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
NERO
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:43:39 pm »

Short for neuro-evolving robotic operatives.
It's a game with a surprisingly small/nonexistent fan base which revolves around teaching the artificial intelligence to maneuver around and defeat teams of robots similar to themselves through evolution and step by step training plan.
I think this game might be interesting to DF players since it's a pretty innovative idea that in the same time works.
It is also rather time consuming like DF, but it pays off once you have an army of robotic operatives that can act without running in circles and hitting the wall(which for the new players is pretty difficult.)
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Re: NERO
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 02:25:02 pm »

Sounds great. I'll try it when I get back.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 02:53:30 pm »

I dunno, I played it a while back and it felt like it needed work. There was just something about the whole system that seemed like it just didn't work very well.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 12:45:37 am »

I remember playing it a long while back, then returning to find out that 2.0 was released, and then forgetting about it shortly afterwards. I just don't find the concept of training a group of neuro operatives from scratch particularly rewarding.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 03:24:51 am »

sounds very cool
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 06:59:16 am »

On the other hand, I suppose if I had to train a group of robotic killing machines with axes and chainsaws that I constructed by hand, I would be more interested in it. Or maybe if I had to train just ONE. Think something like Robot Arena 2 meets RoboCup. Maybe I should relate the idea to the creators...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 08:23:21 am »

Search for RoboForge.  That might be what you're looking for.  I think that's what it's called.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 08:41:45 am »

I played that a long time ago.  I bought it for ten dollars at the worthless old games section of the local super-store, and found out later it had gone Freeware.  Even Freeware, I saw barely any people playing, and I wasn't good enough to make a robot I felt comfortable doing any tournaments with, maybe if I tried it again, but not now!
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 08:52:56 am »

There's no point in Roboforge, even constructing robots there is no fun, let alone programming them. For one, there are no physics. If you had to make a walking robot by actually making legs that walk, and make the robot keep its balance - that would rock. As it is, I'd much rather play Robot Arena and make a barrel-roller of doom.