Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Smoke and Chimneys?  (Read 31670 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Smoke and Chimneys?
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:44:27 pm »

I've been thinking about the use of smoke as an industrial pollutant produced every time a smelter, forge, kiln, ect completes a fuel-based task. The smoke will originate at the impassable tile at the top of furnaces or left of forges.

-S-  ---
---  S--
---  ---

It will instantly attempt to rise if possible, and failing that, will spread out across the ceiling of the fortress. Smoke would not immediately dissipate; it would remain in play for quite a while and possibly begin to "reverse flood" your fortress. To prevent dwarves from becoming unhappy with a smoke-filled cavern (and possibly a fire risk as smoke and cinders reach flammable booze and fuel stockpiles) players would build their industrial sites in rooms with vaulted ceilings (two Z levels tall), add chimneys leading to the surface so smoke can escape, and wisely trap said chimneys to prevent monsters from coming in. I think this will add a new element of planning for players to enjoy, as well as be a challenge that really requires mastery of the Z axis to overcome.

Before I post it as a suggestion proper, however, I'd like to hear discussion on the subject. How does smoke currently perform in game? Will extensive changes to smoke be required for this feature, or will its generation at workshops be the only work required? Do you think this is meaningless complexity, or a novel challenge for underground fortress-planners?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke and Chimneys?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:56:02 pm »

I think it is a interesting idea, never thought of smoke paths before and it would require whole new planning strategies to your forts.

I'll give it a go, why not?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:30:10 pm »

I like this, since the smoke isn't a current-generation flow it should be able to work without sapping too many CPU cycles.  I think some people may like it if oyu can keep x amount of smoke around though, since it'd be cool to have a perpetually smoky workshops area.  For atmosphere/the lack thereof, you know?
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:34:07 pm »

Either I'm completely insane, or this has been suggested before. I whole-heartedly agree that it should be a feature, but I think it's already been discussed. Also, lag could be an issue.

EDIT: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3862.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5394.0
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 09:37:06 pm by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 10:34:26 pm »

This should be a feature for other civs - what dwarf minds waking up to the dull haze and smell of molten iron?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 12:16:36 am »

The ones who don't want to be sterile and cancerous from heavy metal poisoning?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sheezy

• Bay Watcher
  • Jon Ban Jovi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 12:23:36 am »

I'd understand that from lead and other metals, but I dont think iron can do that.
<Naze>   A baby crying in the cave!
<Naze>   Don't go in there woman!
<Naze>   Your not trained for mutant superbabies!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 02:40:42 am »

This would make magma forges very environmentally friendly.  ;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 05:33:13 am »

-chuckles- I also made a suggestion along these lines.. that fire should produce smoke.. and things like steam should rise.. (was mostly talking about ventilation of miasma, and deep mine gasses)
The New Moo!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 06:16:33 am »

that fire should produce smoke..

Fire does produce smoke. I'm pretty sure it rises too. Problem is that forges don't produce it at current.
Magma is overrated.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 07:02:49 am »

err yeah, your right.. :P id completely forgotten..
I think I was refering to fire in forges more likely.. I only vaguely recall and I cant find the post (not that i looked very hard)
The New Moo!

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 07:13:20 am »

If smoke works like miasma, then it might not prefer to rise. I've built chimneys to dissipate miasma before and they didn't do much good, I think the miasma would end up sinking almost as often as it rose up, and it wouldn't flow toward the gap particularly. I haven't seen fire enough to know if it works the same way, it might be that miasma is specifically surface-hogging and smoke isn't.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 09:07:29 am »

I've done this with fortesses cut off entirely from the outside; i rigged up a chimney above a refuse room that had an animal proof door. The miasma went up to a grill in the ceiling, some 20 z-levels up, and gassed the local wildlife.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 12:11:09 pm »

thiis feature should be there too indeed. and i allready make miasma chimneys, just make a long hallway away of ur castle, make it into a refuse pile and dig out the z-levels above it
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 12:11:42 pm »

This could be really awesome as a part of a larger ventilation concept encompassing pollution, natural poisonous gases and miasma (possibly including low levels constantly produced by dwarves). Also, kobolds coming out of the vents would be a plus.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5