Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Zero Punctuation- DF.  (Read 16803 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Punctuation- DF.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 02:58:39 am »

There's a difference between people who really just don't have a very good grasp of the language...

And people who just don't put any effort into it.

It's that second group which annoys me, not the first.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 03:32:10 am »

Somehow the idea of elitism appeals to me. Then again it's against my principles. Frustrating if personal philosophy conflicts with the sad state of affairs in reality. I guess we'll have to wipe everyone else out, then we won't be elitist. Who's with me?

I'm not a native English speaker, but mommy showed me how to use a spellchecker. But seriously, I make 20+ grammar mistakes per A4 in ANY language I can write in, so without a spellchecker to ease my natural disabilities my posts would be a horrid sight indeed. I sometimes wonder how I made it through the educational system. I guess I had spellchecking pens or something. Besides, you can't really blame the outlanders whose fascist-conservative governments forbid Firefox with it's fabulous spellchecker.

I have to admit, the thread title scared the sh*t out of me. Having ZP do DF is NOT a good idea. Yathzee is into fast-based story-driven adventure games, RPGs and FPSes. He probably did SimCity Societies only because he was told to. DF is none of these, its a slow RTS with randomized worlds. Besides, he seems to be more of a console player and It would be an advertisement to the wrong crowd.
DF is a part of something that seems to be a larger phenomenon. Intellectual indie games and remakes are prospering in the depths of the cyberspace and new communities are forming. This might just be the end of the intellectual downfall of interactive games. Give it some time, we don't need to endanger these saplings by being brash and fertilizing their soil with random garbage.

Hmm, seems that I wrote the paragraphs in the wrong order. I guess you have to read them again from the bottom-up, but don't read this paragraph again unless you like paradoxical loops that fry your brain.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 04:50:58 am »

Not a native english speaker either. Nor mexican by the way ;)

And yep, it's probably a bad idea. Admitting Yahtzee does something with DF, he would spend 15 minutes telling how your eyes will bleed and you'll kill your entire neighbourhood in an ASCII killing spree, then 1 minute talking about how awesome the game can be, except for those 400 little bugs such as blah blah blah *8-meters-long list of bugs*.

He wouldn't understand. He's used to follow a clear, well-explained storyline. He probably wouldn't stand to play a game without scenario, less to make up his own.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 05:09:01 am »

I thought this guy only put out negative reviews?

Sure they're funny, but why would you want him to pick apart your game? A game that's not even out of alpha?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:11:36 am by Red Jackard »
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Lord Byte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lordbyte.be
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 06:37:30 am »

I for one wouldn't mind him doing the review... Seems a lot of people misunderstand Yahtzee's reviews, they're meant to be over the top negative!  As far as I can tell he'd love this game, sure he'd pick at glaring bugs, the lack of graphics and so on, but you'll feel the love in the end!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 06:49:41 am »

you'll feel the love in the end!

i'd rather not
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 09:26:51 am »

you'll feel the love in the end!

i'd rather not

Uh, I was listening a lecture about Freud when I was reading this. Childhood traumas much?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 10:00:30 am »

I for one wouldn't mind him doing the review... Seems a lot of people misunderstand Yahtzee's reviews, they're meant to be over the top negative!  As far as I can tell he'd love this game, sure he'd pick at glaring bugs, the lack of graphics and so on, but you'll feel the love in the end!

What sort of strange mood has overtaken you to make you think he'd love Dwarf Fortress.  It's pretty much the antithesis of everything he likes in games.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 10:01:22 am »

He doesn't only do negative reviews.  Listen to his portal review.
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 10:02:22 am »

I thought this guy only put out negative reviews?

Sure they're funny, but why would you want him to pick apart your game? A game that's not even out of alpha?

I've read some interviews with game developers, where they basically say, "You've made it to the big leagues if you're getting ripped apart by Yahtzee."

He's like the Weird Al of game reviews, in that respect.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 12:22:10 pm »

He doesn't only do negative reviews.  Listen to his portal review.

But that's portal. And just about his only completely positive review. He has some half-good half-bad reviews, but as far as I can remember all his reviews are negative.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »

Portal is a special case, because it's just that awesome.  Besides, ZP would have a field day on DF, since there are so many bugs right now.  Give DF a couple years, then get ZP to review it.  If you just want him to play it, go ask him if he's ever played it, that might pique his interest without spamming him.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

arekusu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 06:03:52 pm »

Just avoid the spam.
It's a bad tone and not very nice idea to swarm a man with dozens of letters. If someone points him at DF he can look at it and may like it, but don't try to thrust your opinion.

But that would be elitist... Wouldn't it?

Well, we are elite, so we can be elitist if we want.

In other news, has anyone noticed a sudden influx of new, less-English-skilled persons on the forum? Not to say that they're, well, idiots; they just don't seem to be native English speakers.
Elite, really? Ew, I didn't know a lot about myself then.
And I'm not an english speaker and I am here for a while already (since the releace of 38a I guess). I hope I don't annoy you as well ( :)?).
I don't think that a person who makes mistakes or misspells some words should be called an "idiot", maybe he just had a bad english teacher is school.

What he means is he hates people that post things like "d00d, leik, wutz uP?" or are just generally obnoxious, and don't really try to formulate decent posts.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 07:12:34 pm »

Besides, anyone who uses the phrase "less-English-skilled persons" can't complain too loudly about the language skills of others. 8)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 08:12:19 pm »

dunno who this reviewer named after a dicegame is, so personally I'd say wrong crowd, wrong medium maybe even.

You want to reach selftought computer geeks who remember what to be ElitE really means:
(6400+ kills) ;)

plus those with aspirations to programming and modding themselves.
(these know some of the effort that goes into coding)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9