Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Zero Punctuation- DF.  (Read 16806 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Zero Punctuation- DF.
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 08:14:25 pm »

Besides, anyone who uses the phrase "less-English-skilled persons" can't complain too loudly about the language skills of others. 8)

Heeeey, I couldn't think of a decent phrase to go there. Sue me.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 08:23:49 pm »

dunno who this reviewer named after a dicegame is, so personally I'd say wrong crowd, wrong medium maybe even.

You want to reach selftought computer geeks who remember what to be ElitE really means:
(6400+ kills) ;)

plus those with aspirations to programming and modding themselves.
(these know some of the effort that goes into coding)

Which is why I'd like to see Shamus Young of DM of the Rings (if anyone remembers that) play and review it.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 08:35:13 pm »

Yes, lets have the guy who put out 95% negative reviews review a game that's not even finished and damage our game's reputation before it's even ready. Great publicity right there.

Of all people, why did you think getting Yahtzee to review DF? Anyone else to review DF, please.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:41:37 pm by Idiom »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 08:42:18 pm »

Actually, he mentions recommendations for reviews at the beginning of his CoD4 review, which just happens to be hilarious.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/24-Call-of-Duty-4

Also, we want him to review it because he's awesome.
Shoes...

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 08:51:30 pm »

So unless we can get 4000 people to e-mail him, not much will happen. I recall another episode where he got to review a retro-game, simply because there was really nothing new out.

At least wait for the presentation arc.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 08:52:22 pm »

reviews are for completed games in case you were unaware
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 08:54:33 pm »

A lot of stuff he reviewed he would/did call "incomplete", and it was a major source of criticism. There is a good probability he will give DF a favorable review. WHEN AND IF ITS READY. Before then will just ruin it.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 11:13:34 pm »

His web site is here.  He made some very good point and click adventure games in the adventure game maker program or whatever it's called.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

mport2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 12:02:01 am »

He used AGS (adventure game studio), which is a by the way very good program.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 12:11:11 am »

He doesn't only do negative reviews.  Listen to his portal review.

But that's portal. And just about his only completely positive review. He has some half-good half-bad reviews, but as far as I can remember all his reviews are negative.
His Psyconauts review was entirely positive (about the game, less so about the viewer.) This may surprise you, but Yahtzee does like games.

I hate all you elitist pricks. Using DF is not something to get elitist about. There're threads about DF on SA, Gaia, 4chan, and about a million other websites. Don't believe me? Check the Wiki. Check how many interviews Toady has given. Google "Dwarf Fortress" and read the results. Think back to how you originally found DF, or search for threads about that on these forums. DF isn't mainstream, sure, or even close to reaching the fame of, say, Nethack, but internet nerds everywhere have at least heard about it. So when a proposal of free publicity comes along, instead of wanting it and spreading a great game to some great people, you morons want to deprive people of DF just to stroke your e-penis, or whatever bullshit excuse you want to give (which is, invariably, focused on you.)

Now, all that being said, Yahtzee reviewing Df would be a pretty bad idea. As has been said, he wouldn't enjoy it but would see the good qualities. The way he would recommend it wouldn't really entice people either. The interview itself wouldn't even really be all that popular. Most people who enjoy ZP enjoy listening to Yahtzee pick apart games they already know about. However, bad publicity is still publicity.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2008, 12:20:41 am »

Wait, who's an elitist prick?

EDIT: I just realized that this could be read as a scathing retort. It is, in fact, no such thing: I just want to know who the elitist pricks were, in particular.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:57:57 am by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2008, 12:51:36 am »

I hate all you elitist pricks. Using DF is not something to get elitist about. There're threads about DF on SA, Gaia, 4chan, and about a million other websites. Don't believe me? Check the Wiki. Check how many interviews Toady has given. Google "Dwarf Fortress" and read the results. Think back to how you originally found DF, or search for threads about that on these forums. DF isn't mainstream, sure, or even close to reaching the fame of, say, Nethack, but internet nerds everywhere have at least heard about it. So when a proposal of free publicity comes along, instead of wanting it and spreading a great game to some great people, you morons want to deprive people of DF just to stroke your e-penis, or whatever bullshit excuse you want to give (which is, invariably, focused on you.)

How about you get rid of the asshole overtone and use some manners. It gets your arguments much further.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Balor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2008, 01:56:47 am »

Well, being an elitist prick is one thing, but denying publicity (which is likely to get Toady more  donations) to DF just because it is going to make you feel less "special" is an embodiment of all things asshole.
However, while IF even Yahtzee will review the game highly unfavorably (since he admitted being 'instant gratification gamer', everything Df is NOT about, it's 99.9% likely), due to the blog's popularity it WILL bring more attention to DF. Of course, most of his viewers will not like it too, but some will try it out of curiosity and may be hooked.
Anyway, I REALLY doubt that he'll bother with reviewing DF (see above).
And besides, I agree it's best to wait for presentation arc to do any serious promotions.
P.S. Yea, not a native English (namely, Russian) speaker. I do try to be coherent, though.
Sapienti Sat.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2008, 03:55:49 am »

So when a proposal of free publicity comes along, instead of wanting it and spreading a great game to some great people, you morons want to deprive people of DF just to stroke your e-penis, or whatever bullshit excuse you want to give (which is, invariably, focused on you.)

hey guys did you know it is elitism to think someone reviewing a game while it's still in alpha is a bad idea

i think someone got the word confused for preview
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:00:39 am by Red Jackard »
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2008, 04:22:22 am »

Damn you, Jackard, making me think there was a new topic.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9