Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Survival Crisis Z  (Read 49049 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Survival Crisis Z
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 09:38:58 pm »

Well, maybe it's actually a random reward.  I've never seen them turn up normally, so I assumed it was special.  Whatever the case, I don't intend on running through another dungeon if they don't have any unique and useful goodies for me.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 09:44:22 pm »

Also, if you get both Fatigue and Hunger to 20,000 each, your guy turns into Superman WITHOUT the nasty side effects.

And,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 11:45:45 pm »

This game is awesome. The arcade mode is far too addictive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 04:04:06 am »

Ooh, goodie goodie.  Got the whole drug ring thing going.  I love the way that the flag above a person's head will change when they have a new dose of stimulyte waiting for you, it makes things so much easier.

I now have two people cooking for me, both of them gypsy women (no, I'm not profiling.  They were closer than anybody else).  With their contributions, I will take over more houses.  And so on and so forth, until I won't know what to do with the stuff.

I've got a level 9 house in my drug ring, so I'll be able to use my supplies on taking over the various rebel and SWAT houses as well.  The 10 and higher houses may be problematic...  I think I'll give terrorism a try, what with my new mask.  I'll blow up the really high level ones and scare the level 10 houses into servitude.

I'm already in the third act, so I want to spread as much as I can...  I aim to own the entire city block.  At least the standing parts of it.

Heh, it's kinda funny...  I started this guy out as a doctor, and now he's using his medical skills to concoct stimulyte for people.  Sure, I went through a few phases with the appearance editor, but I keep coming back to that good ol' white coat and glasses.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 11:57:41 am »

For some reason the doctor reminds me of Gendo, sadistic but helpful. Rather creepy, too.

Included link for those of you who aren't anime nerds.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 01:07:59 pm »

So does anyone know of any zombie survival games like this but without all of the immersion-breaking metagame stuff(Ghost Crystals, potions, magic whistles, etc)
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 01:45:54 pm »

I heard someone talking once about this game Resident Evil. Kinda weird sounding, but she seemed to like it. I suppose if it's good enough they might have a sequel out, but we all know sequels aren't often as good as the originals.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 02:39:51 pm »

There's a list on Wikipedia of zombie-related games.  Unfortunately, I seem to have played most of the free ones.

Nobody ever seems to get the genre right...  It's always some linear FPS (or TPS in the case of R:E), or it's a mod for Half-Life 2 that really should've had a bit more time spent on the development front.

Do you know, I have never once seen a zombie RTS?  I've thought about the idea several times, where you have three different factions fighting over a map that's infested with computer-controlled zombies.

You'd have punks, the cult, and the army remnants.  Punks would be plentiful and good at looting, but not individually effective in a fight.  The army wouldn't be too keen on looting (at least not for weapons) and would be very good fighters, but in very few numbers.  The cult would use zombie-centric traps in order to deal with the other survivors.  I'm not saying that the zombies would ignore the cult, it's just that the cult would try to use the zombies instead of killing them off.

You could have day/night cycles, the ability to garrison buildings (although no RTS seems to have mastered the intricacies of such), and other fun stuff.  So, yeah...  That's an old idea I used to think about.

Survival Crisis Z is the closest I've seen to the kind of zombie RPG I want, but it is still a fair ways off.  I don't think that RPG exists quite yet.

I've also thought about an idea for another HL2 mod.  Singleplayer mostly, but with multiplayer co-op missions.

The game already has several animations, atmospheric designs and voice reactions for a zombie menace.  The tricky parts would be making new zombies with their own animations and skins, and adding some sort of inventory.  I imagine a singleplayer campaign that ends in a building-crowded city district that's swarming with zombies, and having a strike being called in to some orbital thingy (I suppose you'd have to fit aliens into the game somewhere along the line, or at least a top-top secret experimental military test station) whereupon a series of scripted combine mortar strikes will rain down upon the area, disintegrating the zombies and leveling nearby buildings.

Um, yeah...  Don't mind me...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 02:47:26 pm »

You don't need orbital weapons, they could just be launching cruise missiles.  They'd probably be going for a complete purge though with nuclear weapons, so you probably wouldn't survive.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 03:17:15 pm »

No, I need orbital weapons.  Have you seen the Combine mortar strikes?  I've been dreaming about seeing a large mass of people getting vaporised by that thing, their slowly disintegrating bodies floating up into the air after a fresh blast.

And they look like orbital weapons.  Can't do much about that.

Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZotpNbQNkY

Now, can't you just see a horde of zombies getting ripped apart by that thing?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 03:20:29 pm »

Eh, I'd rather play a modern game than a futuristic game, if it's zombies.

Although Half Life 2 had some cool zombie moments.  I still remember the time I crashed into the pile of cars in the tunnel and was flooring it trying to get over the car as the zombies closed in on me.  Pretty intense.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 03:37:46 pm »

Well, it doesn't have to be futuristic.  It's just that a nice wipeout would be a great way to end a zombie campaign, and an orbital bombardment (be it by aliens or super high tech military weapons testing station) would give the kind of accuracy required to let the main character live. 

Personally, I agree.  I like the gritty modern aspect in zombie scenarios.  It's just that I really want to blow something up with that gun. 

I think I remember that section of HL2...  A sort of car roadblock that was a major pain to get through.  I remember taking a slightly different approach to it though...

I stopped, got out of the car, blew away every zombie in the area, looted the two side rooms with all their goodies, and then leisurely went about clearing a path for my buggy.  Not exactly heart-pounding action, but it was effective.

Now, what sort of weapons should there be in such a game?  A shotgun is essential (and a civilian version, thank you very much.  None of this funky-looking army grade stuff), but what kind of pistol(s)?  Chainsaw goes without saying.

Heh...  I remember doing a little comparison between DooM (original) and Half-Life 2 (I never played the first one).  DooM:  Pistol goes *POW* and has a nice flare, but the back end looks a bit like a monkey.  HL2:  Pistol goes *paf*, and looks a bit like a child's toy.  DooM:  CHAINSAW.  vvvRRRAAAM*chgrrkchr*.  HL2:  Crowbar.  Thwack thwack thwack thwack thwack...

DooM had a melee weapon you could be proud of, HL2 had a crate smasher.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 04:06:19 pm »

Nay, this is a melee weapon to be proud of.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 06:42:06 pm »

You don't need orbital weapons, they could just be launching cruise missiles.  They'd probably be going for a complete purge though with nuclear weapons, so you probably wouldn't survive.

All the zombies would have hidden in leaded refrigerators.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 06:57:45 pm »

Oh no.  They didn't do that in the Indiana Jones movie did they?  That was one of the things he did in The Fourth Indiana Jones Movie That Never Materialized Movie, and I was like "Wow, good thing that never saw the light of day."
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14