Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 127355 times)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2008, 09:15:10 pm »

In any zombie movie, you see huge hoards of Zs running around willy nilly, and hardly any corpses.  How likely is it that that many people are going to be bitten, but survive long enough to change?  Seems to me like a zombie thing would burn itself out very quickly.
That's what makes the bite infection so dangerous.  If you die within a month of being bitten, you get reanimated as a zombie.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2008, 09:33:13 pm »

-Pocket knife. With as many fold out tools as possible for the sake of a tool.
-Hatchet as a tool
-Water containers
-Food containers
-General easily portable container
-A .22 rifle, preferably bolt action (as it is less complex, less likely to break down, easier to repair)
-A scope for your .22 (with lens covers, and NOT nightvision etc. If it needs batteries, it will eventually be useless)
-Bricks of .22 ammo
-NEVER get into melee, and ALWAYS avoid a situation that may include melee.
-Compound bow for silent take-outs
-The skill to make half-decent arrows and guts to recover your arrows
-A bicycle. Motorized is too noisy, prone to break downs, requires fuel, and has limited off-road.

Any other firearms are too noisy, rare, hard to find ammo for, etc.
Possibly a .22 handgun for short lived close-encounters.

Get a boat, and go from un-inhabited (but always remain wary) island to un-inhabited island for water/food. Always be ready to stay onshore to wait out a storm. Plant new food on the islands as you go.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2008, 09:43:37 pm »

Best way to survive a zombie apocalypse is to steal a pickup truck, fill up the back with as much food as possible, preferably with a cover so nothing blows away, one of those big Suburban thingies would be even better.  Then you drive to a large lake or major river, find a houseboat(They're not too hard to find around lakes, people rent them out) and float it out into the water.  You have all the food you'll need, worse comes to worse you might be able to fish for food, but only if you're Larry the Cable Guy, and if you're Larry the Cable Guy during a zombie apocalypse, I've already killed you, so you don't have to worry.  Those things are loaded too.  While everyone else is building hideouts and then screwing up, leading to a rapid everything-falls-apart sequence a la Shaun of the Dead right after Brian is mutilated, you're playing Halo(If you're a loser), or Gears of War(Still probably loser-y, but I love the idea of alien[or robot] butchers, so it can stay, still never had a chance to play it), or if the internet has survived the apocalypse, Dwarf Fortress.
Shoes...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2008, 09:52:17 pm »

You NEED a shotgun. They're probably the most common type of firearm, usually relatively simple, and increase the chances of a headshot, which is especially important if you aren't a marksman.

Tasers (the type that fire darts) could be invaluable, so long as the zombies are still dependent on electrical impulses to control their muscles.

Gasoline and other flammable materials aren't exactly useful, except as fuel, since most zombies are impervious to pain, and don't seem to have any sort of need to keep their temperature at a certain level. The only reason you might use them as a weapon is if the zombies depend on oxygen, which a flame would quickly deprive them of.

MRE's are always a good idea: they include many useful items, and are practically indestructible.

A clean source of water will be invaluable, if the Z-virus turns out to be waterborne. Thank goodness for the inventor of bottled water.

Constant vigilance is impossible, so it is vital that you find at least one person to watch your back when you're asleep. If you do form a group of more than two people, however, a clear chain of command is vital.

Zombies tend to be rather sneaky, for no particular reason, so a system of detection will be vital. Still, do not depend on it exclusively- doing so will dull your senses and leave you vulnerable.

EDIT: Cthulhu, you don't know if the zombies can swim. And if they don't need to breath, they could sneak up on your boat, completely submerged. Not cool.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:54:19 pm by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2008, 10:13:15 pm »

-Pocket knife. With as many fold out tools as possible for the sake of a tool.
-Hatchet as a tool
-Water containers
-Food containers
-General easily portable container
-A .22 rifle, preferably bolt action (as it is less complex, less likely to break down, easier to repair)
-A scope for your .22 (with lens covers, and NOT nightvision etc. If it needs batteries, it will eventually be useless)
-Bricks of .22 ammo
-NEVER get into melee, and ALWAYS avoid a situation that may include melee.
-Compound bow for silent take-outs
-The skill to make half-decent arrows and guts to recover your arrows
-A bicycle. Motorized is too noisy, prone to break downs, requires fuel, and has limited off-road.

Any other firearms are too noisy, rare, hard to find ammo for, etc.
Possibly a .22 handgun for short lived close-encounters.

Get a boat, and go from un-inhabited (but always remain wary) island to un-inhabited island for water/food. Always be ready to stay onshore to wait out a storm. Plant new food on the islands as you go.
Despite everything else on this site, it took a zombie thread for me to join up. This amuses me.

My only problem with the above is your insistence on a .22 caliber rifle. 5.56 (US military standard) rifle ammo is one of the most plentiful around (assuming you live in the US, Europeans would probably have to rely on surplus 7.62 AK ammo), has better penetration, and is more likely to critically injure the brain, or knock down the target even if you don't get the kill shot. The recoil isn't particularly bad either.

Unless you're Rambo, a bow isn't going to be of much use to you, unless you're hunting for food with it. If the Zombies don't know you're there, why the hell take the risk of alerting them to your presence by attacking them with something that may not kill them on the first shot, is going to take a fair amount of time to load, fire, reload, and fire again, and requires that you maintain a reasonably close range if you really intend on getting that one-hit kill? Sure, it sounds cool, but give me a semi-automatic, high caliber rifle/assault rifle any day.

Like my firearms instructor father is wont to say, when it comes to guns, make lots of holes, make big holes, make lots of big holes.

Oh, and Dwarf Fortress rocks.

Hi.  ;D

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2008, 10:17:27 pm »

I doubt zombies could swim.  The ones that wouldn't need to breathe lack the motor coordination to swim, they can barely walk, and the ones that could be able to swim still need air, are still human, and probably wouldn't be able to swim all the way across the lake/wouldn't have a reason to.  I'm not talking about a large pond lake, I'm talking about a real lake.  I live in Ohio, and we have some of the world's largest lakes about three or four hours away.  There are points you can reach where you can't see any shoreline in any direction.
Shoes...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2008, 10:42:48 pm »

When it comes to guns, make lots of holes, make big holes, make lots of big holes.

Oh, and Dwarf Fortress rocks.

That's a pretty awesome quote. And welcome to the forums!

You psycho.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2008, 02:21:44 am »

Most valuable item in a zombie attack= Max Brooks' The zombie survival guide. Every home should have a copy, if you don't own one go out and buy a copy before its too late.

It recommends a M1 carbine zombie killing. Uses less ammo to take down those zombies. But I think that I would have to recommend an elephant gun for the job. A powerful large caliber gun designed for big-game hunts, or more specifically elephant poaching. Designed to stop a charging elephant or rhino with one shot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2008, 03:30:05 am »

But you're not stopping a charging rhino or elephant.  You're stopping a charging human, a creature with considerably less natural protection.

Plus, elephant guns need expensive hard-to-find ammo, and also require extensive familiarity with guns and recoil in order to use properly.

But damn, it would certainly be fun to watch a shotgun slug rip through a zombie's brain tissue.  Sure, it's overkill, but it's just so damned satisfying.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2008, 04:28:34 am »

The only thing I'd take with me is a Woman and a solar powered chainsaw with energy storage capability.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2008, 04:34:51 am »

The only thing I'd take with me is a Woman and a solar powered chainsaw with energy storage capability.

Hey, let's keep this zombie thread in the realm of possibility.  Where are you going to find a woman?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2008, 04:37:35 am »

Hey, let's keep this zombie thread in the realm of possibility.  Where are you going to find a woman?

The same place that Bruce Campbell did. Right next to me.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2008, 08:52:51 am »

I thought everyone would appreciate this. Gotta love badmovies.org.
http://www.badmovies.org/sideshows/articles/zombie-plan-pt1.html

This topic came up recently on another board I frequent. One of the number one responses was, "When the zombie apocalypse hits I'm heading to [insert department store here] to get supplies and then head out of town."

Eventually somebody made note of the fact that if everyone has the same plan they're probably going to end up with a lot of panicked, violent competition for those supplies.

Oh, while I'm here. http://www.zombiegames.net/ has a bunch of nfity zombie games. The Last Stand 2 is a good time waster. Try not to read the comments from the site's regulars lest your eyes bleed.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2008, 09:25:10 am »

Well, there is always underground. If anyone has read world war z... don't believe it! underground is the best place to go, only light is powered by some easy access genertor, very few ways to escape, limited food supply... oh wait, never mind.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2008, 09:39:39 am »

Well, there is always underground. If anyone has read world war z... don't believe it! underground is the best place to go, only light is powered by some easy access genertor, very few ways to escape, limited food supply... oh wait, never mind.

What do you mean, limited food supply?  We'll grow plump helmets.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 101