Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 127392 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #555 on: February 12, 2009, 08:25:42 pm »

i dont know if its been posted yet but:

that is all
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 12, 2009, 08:29:15 pm »

Or you could use a machete.
For ANYTHING!

Oh, look, survivors. Wait, we dont have enough food!(Proceeds to kill them) Woops my hand slipped......... alot.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 12, 2009, 08:36:31 pm »

Oh please. Like you could really have so little morality that you would slaughter a group of FEW AND FAR survivors. In fact, even without enough food, more people means more foragers. Means more food. In fact, if you have a secure location to hold out in, randomly killing groups of refugees is stupid. Really stupid.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 12, 2009, 08:55:20 pm »

Mebbeh theyz in 'nutha klan.
Da boyz need allz da fud wee kan geht

Weed yelll WAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! an' run throu' em with r' choppas

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 12, 2009, 10:11:07 pm »

My personal favorite is the blunt long sword I ha two so duel weilding for massive face crush and sword reach.
It takes someone special to put the laughter back in slaughter.

What did you all go and order a dead guy for?

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 13, 2009, 12:27:40 am »

I think zombies would be easily to beat with proper weaponry. Machine guns and the like run out of ammo so modern military weapons would be useless.

If there were around a hundred survivors kit them all out in tower shields (scavenge riot shields somewhere?) and short swords. Roman style. The Romans were especially good at fighting against massive numbers of lightly armed targets.

They would stand in a rectangle with the first row fighting. In a narrow alley in modern settings as there aren't enough fighters to cover an entire field. The enemy charged and were bashed back with the shield and then killed with the sword. Repeat. After a short while the first row would get tired and would retreat to the back and be replaced by the second row.

With some training the survivors could easily take zombie hordes. At least outnumbered 10 to 1 or more.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 13, 2009, 12:36:48 am »

Run out of ammo? Do you know how many .22 rounds I could carry just in my cargo pockets right now? At least four twenty round blocks. If one would be smart enough to aim (sorry if you're in a movie) you could do fine with firearms.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 13, 2009, 12:47:49 am »

Why does everyone insist guns would be useless against the zombies? Are you all mad? It's far easier to acquire and maintain an ammo supply than some of you think. Ever hear about reloading bullets? Or even just taking more than what fits in the gun?

God, some people.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 13, 2009, 12:56:19 am »

Why does everyone insist guns would be useless against the zombies?
You'd have to kill the zombies faster than they charge at you. The point of zombies is that they attack in massive numbers. Guns don't function well at close range and are very easy to remove from you once they close in. With a gun you're basically dead the moment they close in.

Edit1: I forgot to mention that with sub-machine guns you don't have this problem as much. But they do run out of ammo fast. And don't have such common ammo which is lying around everywhere.

Edit2: Formatting.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:59:33 am by Martian »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 13, 2009, 01:03:55 am »

Martian: click his spoiler.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 13, 2009, 01:06:03 am »

Yeah, but you forgot the most important part...

The whole idea of having a weapon is to fight if you have no other choice every weapon in existence save for really powerful explosives will be useless if you get surrounded as you suggested. And those explosives would kill you too. No single person can fight a horde off in open combat, the idea is to get to a defensive position and hold till you absolutely need more supply's or to retreat to another safe house.

And 4-5 trained people armed with decent weaponry should be able to hold off the stereotypical slow lumbering zombie off indefinitely with simple barricades and cover given enough supply's.

Honestly though I'm getting too much into this zombie fuckery I think.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 13, 2009, 01:09:50 am »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 13, 2009, 02:34:46 pm »

My big problem with zombies is that the math just doesn't add up.  Sure 30 days later is scary, cause it's england which is tiny, crowded, and unarmed, and the zombies are fast.

1 small team of about 5 equipped people could kill hundreds of zombies an hour.  That's the army for you.  How is an outbreak ever going to reach critical mass (the point where society breaks down) if the SWAT team in a city is capable of dealing with the initial infection in that area?  (It's worth noting that the original NotLD was pretty much over by dawn).  I really feel like the whole mythos is overestimating the 'oh shit, zombies' factor.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 13, 2009, 05:06:31 pm »

It really depends on the cause of the zombies. If it's a virus, especially a contagious one, you're done, but at least the zombie's aren't too strong.

If it's some kind of creepy voodoo curse the zombies will be few, but hard to deal with.

Lessee, the only other cause of zombie's I can think of is an annoyed necromancer. That one depends on how good he is. Mass undeadification of every graveyard in a city/country/continent is trouble, as he will have both numbers and difficult to destroy zombies (they'd be puppets, so only total dismemberment/incineration would work).

Option one is still the worst, as survivors would rapidly become infected unless they had some kind of immunity. Three comes a close second, but if you kill the necromancer it's problem solved. Number 2 = minor annoyance.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 13, 2009, 05:27:29 pm »

I think zombies would be easily to beat with proper weaponry. Machine guns and the like run out of ammo so modern military weapons would be useless.

If there were around a hundred survivors kit them all out in tower shields (scavenge riot shields somewhere?) and short swords. Roman style. The Romans were especially good at fighting against massive numbers of lightly armed targets.

They would stand in a rectangle with the first row fighting. In a narrow alley in modern settings as there aren't enough fighters to cover an entire field. The enemy charged and were bashed back with the shield and then killed with the sword. Repeat. After a short while the first row would get tired and would retreat to the back and be replaced by the second row.

With some training the survivors could easily take zombie hordes. At least outnumbered 10 to 1 or more.

remember the no-slashing/stabbing rule in a zombie infected zone? replace the swords with maces and your good to go.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 101