Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 128501 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2008, 09:50:39 am »

Yeah, but now you'll get bored of just plump helmets, and you forgot to bring along cave wheat!

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2008, 11:47:58 am »

Yeah, but now you'll get bored of just plump helmets, and you forgot to bring along cave wheat!
That's what wine roasts, wine biscuits, and wine stew are for.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »

If there's a zombie attack, we should all meet up.  We'll store a year's worth of food, weapons, water, batteries, and other essentials in a clearly marked barn, and then meet up in the middle of the zombie horde.
Shoes...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2008, 02:29:49 pm »

Here is a list of my solutions, depending on what game...

Team fortress 2:
Get a few engineer buddies and make a ring of at least 5 sentries.
They will be unable to make it close enough to even damage them without guns.

Dwarf Fortress:
Huge magma moat, single pillar, only bridge covered with automated drawbridge squisher traps. Farm plump helmets and kittens.

Blockand(alpha with RTB):
Build a floating base. Unfortunately, you have very few good weapons, but the rifle should be able to hold them off.

Blockland(retail):
Build a web to support your base off the ground, and make sure the pillars that actally support it are plentiful and far enough away that you can't see them. Apply guns.

Portal:
turrets and lots of them, you stand on a high point and fire the blue portal under their feet. red portal FAR away.

Gmod:
floating base, many explosives on ground linked to numpad .
Also some deadly moving parts and turrets.

Starcraft:
bunker of ghosts on elevated, no-ramp land.

All of these assume that the zombies do not have ranged weapons, and cannot fly.

real life:
.... um.....
I guess living in a giant orbital cannon would work well enough...
Eh?
Eh!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2008, 02:41:29 pm »

Game?  This is real life!  And there are no giant orbital cannons in real life.
Shoes...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2008, 02:51:24 pm »

Well, then, I would probably flee to the small bunch of trees behind my house and hide in one of them...
Eh?
Eh!

openget

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2008, 10:39:49 pm »

If zombies are walkers, I turn on the TV and watch as they get gunned down en masse.  If they're runners? Suicide.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2008, 10:49:31 pm »

Game?  This is real life!  And there are no giant orbital cannons in real life.
See that thing in the sky at night? That's not Mars or the Northern Light my friend.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2008, 11:39:07 am »

Okay, so you'll ideally want a gun but a melee weapon for when you run out of ammo or your gun is damaged or whatever.

I tire of people arguing over which assault rifle is better. So I'm not even going to go there. Just pick something that has plentiful ammo and is easily maintained.

As for the melee weapon, it must be something that can be wielded in confined spaces, won't get stuck in a zombie, and won't break. Preferably usable as a tool as well. I've heard people suggest the crowbar for the tool reason. You'd strike with the flat end rather than the hook end. And it's short, and can be used as a bludgeoning or piercing weapon. Light enough that you won't get super tired and heavy enough to cause some damage. I like the crowbar idea. Remember that you're mainly using the melee weapon to buy you time to escape.

As for competing with other survivors, I think the best strategy would be to go where few are likely to go. So don't go to big box stores like Costco and such. Especially since zombies will invariably infiltrate through the many entrances, there are lots of places for zombies to hide, and in the confusion infected survivors will slip through. A better bet would be a distribution warehouse. They're usually more secure, since the public never sees them, and so there would be a few (probably metal) exterior doors and a few roll-up metal shipping doors.

The warehouse would likely have some workers in it who transformed into zombies, right? But at least it wouldn't be as bad as the mall. Again, no public, so all you're dealing with are the handful of worker zombies.

At this point you'd want to go out to gather select survivors. Don't go for the group with two people who have kitchen knives and six old ladies. Preferably you'd take people with you who are already surviving and look like their chances are good. Mentally stable is important. But with a secure warehouse with the entrances blocked by shipping containers, you don't need an army to keep watch. This was the benefit of medieval castle design - few can defend against many.

Now if the military is going to come in and kill everything, you might not want to advertise your presence. But if you want rescuers to know where you are, you could paint the roof of the warehouse where people on the ground won't see it. That way you don't get uninvited human guests but you can still get a helicopter rescue. I'd probably want to sit tight for a bit and see what happens before putting out any welcome signs. After all, we don't know just how smart these zombies are.

Definitely canned food and bottled water.

Once you have a small group, preferably friends who you already know, begin picking off the zombies around your warehouse. You don't want to worry about being mobbed every time you open a door. You should have a second-story entrance with a rope ladder or something, and whoever keeps watch does it there. This way you can look out and see if the zombies are massing nearby, and people above can help pull you up faster by the ropes if you've got zombies clawing at your feet. Like someone said earlier, zombies won't reproduce, so however many zombies there are now are the numbers you'll deal with in total.

You're probably in a kind of industrial area because of the warehouse site. So you have more tools, materials, and industrial vehicles around while you have less food, clothes, gas stations, and shops. But you also have fewer people around.
A side benefit is that unlike typically open commercial and residential areas, industrial zones tend to be compartmentalized by sturdy fences and walls. What discourages a burglar is probably pretty good at keeping uninterested zombies from wandering around. This means if you go next door to a plastics manufacturer, the parking lot probably has a fence around it and so you won't get zombies coming in from all sides. And the joint is probably just as secure as your warehouse (a couple strong doors and a shipping door or two, no large floor-level windows). If you wanted to, you could clear out the areas immediately around you and lock them up, so you know the only zombies around are the ones in the street.

Then again, that's a lot of work and risk for a little security. You'd probably be just fine living in the warehouse for a while.

By the way, gasoline from a gas tank wouldn't be good anymore after a couple months. Gas stations have more sophisticated storage systems, and their gas could be good for years. But unless you get the oil refineries going again your car will be useless in a couple years. Electrics are viable if you have a house-roof sized solar array and two cars. Charge one while the other is in use, and in emergencies you have two. Actually, it would probably be better to have a few sitting around charged up :P

But in the long run, if people aren't making bullets and cars and gasoline and solar panels, we're pretty much screwed. So it's important that the zombie threat be taken care of within a year or two, otherwise our ability to fight it would be so diminished that we might never win.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2008, 12:03:19 pm »

Leo: Nice post man. Never considered going for the warehouse approach. I think the big question is how to get there in the first place as warehouses aren't located nearby where you'd most likely be in the onset of sudden zombie infestation, your house while all the other options are closer.

Also, if the military launches a rescue operation, I think one of the last places they care to look would be in industrial districts. That kinda bodes ill too.

And what if you don't live in a place with an industrial district? Like a town or a farm? Suppose you're on vacation in Hawaii when the outbreak happens. What's the contingency plan?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2008, 01:22:23 pm »

Great post.
And now my list of things that I will probably never do includes a DF-like zombie survival game...
Eh?
Eh!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2008, 01:43:38 pm »

And what if you don't live in a place with an industrial district? Like a town or a farm? Suppose you're on vacation in Hawaii when the outbreak happens. What's the contingency plan?

If in a rural area I'd go for the police station or fire station. It's easier to gather resources in a secure place than to secure a general store. Plus being found is a lot more important because your resources are limited - you're not trying to keep others away from your huge wealth of goodies, so you want people to find you. And they're going to check out the emergency facilities especially when they read the notes you left in the empty stores :P

Side note: fire stations are a great source of medical supplies when you know the hospitals will be full of zombies, and they have goodies like tools, a generator, fuel in the fire truck, etc. And are generally fire-safe and not built to be open to the public (so no huge picture windows on the first floor).

Stranded in Hawaii during the outbreak? Same thing I think. Just try to find a place that's defensible and gather some resources. I'm thinking a hotel would be nice but they tend to have weird back entrances for supplies and such, and it's bound to be full of stranded travelers-turned-zombies.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2008, 04:52:49 pm »

Oh I was thinking about umiman and how you'd actually see a zombie plague spread.

1: The survivors are immune naturally, and so zombie infection isn't an issue even if they get bitten.

2: Survivors have a strong resistance, such that the airborne and waterborne strains of the virus don't affect them. The blood-borne version, though, has a strong chance of infection.

3: The virus attack vector was a chemical spill or something that caused the virus to go crazy and spread all over in a few weeks. This airborne/waterborne strain infects and then mutates within the host to become a blood-borne pathogen. A week or so after infection in a host the blood strain causes zombification. But the airborne/waterborne strain mutates after a couple weeks and goes dormant. The bloodborne strain can't be transmitted any way but through a bite. And the original air/water virus can't do anything anymore.

Combine #3 with #1 or #2, and say that the natural resistance or immunity was to the original airborne/waterborne strain. It doesn't apply to the mutated bloodborne strain.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2008, 05:01:35 pm »

Well, I know where I'm going in the event of an outbreak.  Leo's house.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2008, 01:19:43 am »

Oh I was thinking about umiman

Kagus: Lucky you, I can't go there now for fear of backdoor penetration.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 101