Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Question about the upcoming Presentation Arc  (Read 32660 times)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the upcoming Presentation Arc
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2008, 02:31:47 pm »

It's not like the dwarf or the kitten occupies the ENTIRE tile. But I don't think most people here would want a "realistic" representation of a 2x2 pixel @ for dwarf vs a 16 x 16 pixel D for dragon. They're all big for readability's sake.

I am talking about scalability in terms of isometric graphics. If they were all big for readability sake, even in an isometric environment, then it doesn't seem like there would be much of a point in having isometric graphics, other than for z-levels and elevation you wouldn't even see as much.

Maybe as a minimap or view that just shows the elevation and construction going on, but if creatures weren't to some kind of scale you might as well just be playing top-down.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 02:36:25 pm by Davion »

nornagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • nornagon.net
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2008, 04:15:12 pm »

With an isometric view, all the tiles would have to be cubic in dimension... or else how would the dwarves fit into them when they dig?

An isometric view also has the problems of: a) occlusion -- stuff will get hidden behind the landscape (especially when you have cubic tiles), and b) displaying tunnels/caves/other concave structures is tricky.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2008, 05:56:57 pm »

I think the side bar could still be there because that's the easiest way to show the information, since there are usually so many options. That, or have it in a floating menu that pops up, but until something is done about window sizes and number of tiles on screen it'd probably obstruct too much.
Hmm... My expertise in this is tapped out now, but y'all can figure out some nice suggestions for the display issues.  I'm a fan of keeping it visually similar to the current.  I want the user interface to be better, don't care so much about it being prettier.

I am not sure about the best way to start a community interface flow chart, maybe using something like Dia to map it all out, it can export many different file types.  I am not sure how practical having a flow chart would be since the data would just consist of stuff like "Designation (d) ------> Designate menu ----> List of options", etc., but it'd probably help point out areas that take too many keystrokes to access or whatever.

If it's just going to be command1 -> command2, then we can use graphviz which has a truly human-readable file format (as in, you just write command1 -> command2 and a tiny bit of boilerplate at the top).  I'm just wondering what other information would be useful.  For instance, figuring out the +/- and up/down schizophrenia would please me, but wouldn't be easy to analyze with just that graph.

In the end, the goals I see for this flowchart-or-whatever project are twofold: (a) something to hand to Toady to help him improve the UI, (b) something to hand to newbies to help them figure out the UI.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:00:08 pm by benoit.hudson »

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2008, 06:03:59 pm »

That's true, it could help a lot of new people get comfortable with the interface because they could see all the commands and input as well as output.

Checking out Graphvis right now.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2008, 06:21:35 pm »

Here's a start:

Code: [Select]
digraph DF {
  main -> "[d]esignate"
  "[d]esignate" -> "[m]ine"
  "[d]esignate" -> "[b] properties"
  "[b] properties" -> "[d]ump"
  main -> "[m]ilitary"
  main -> "[x] control squads"
}

Save that into df.graph, then run dot -Tpdf < df.graph > df.pdf, then open up df.pdf

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2008, 06:38:21 pm »

Is it just me or is the scrolling for the Set Building/Item Properties broken?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2008, 06:46:55 pm »

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2008, 06:55:20 pm »

Here's a start:

Code: [Select]
digraph DF {
  main -> "[d]esignate"
  "[d]esignate" -> "[m]ine"
  "[d]esignate" -> "[b] properties"
  "[b] properties" -> "[d]ump"
  main -> "[m]ilitary"
  main -> "[x] control squads"
}

Save that into df.graph, then run dot -Tpdf < df.graph > df.pdf, then open up df.pdf

I've got most of the designation area done, going circo is probably the easiest way to view everything from test renders.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2008, 07:06:56 pm »

anime-styled dwarf tiles

I think the first picture is a better representation.

It also looks cooler and less like a midget who rapes overdeveloped children.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2008, 07:37:18 pm »

Some good lookin' dwarf lads here:

http://warhammerinfo.com/art-dwarfs.shtml

;D

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2008, 08:04:15 pm »

clearly you two are missing the point of the joke, the man mentioned anime dwarves
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2008, 08:05:02 pm »

clearly you two are missing the point of the joke, the man mentioned anime dwarves

I CONSIDER GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH TO BE THE TRUTHER.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2008, 08:06:35 pm »

I CONSIDER GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH TO BE THE TRUTHER.

Yoda says that is why you fail :(

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2008, 08:36:54 pm »

It's not like the dwarf or the kitten occupies the ENTIRE tile. But I don't think most people here would want a "realistic" representation of a 2x2 pixel @ for dwarf vs a 16 x 16 pixel D for dragon. They're all big for readability's sake.

I am talking about scalability in terms of isometric graphics. If they were all big for readability sake, even in an isometric environment, then it doesn't seem like there would be much of a point in having isometric graphics, other than for z-levels and elevation you wouldn't even see as much.

Maybe as a minimap or view that just shows the elevation and construction going on, but if creatures weren't to some kind of scale you might as well just be playing top-down.

Oh I agree with that. I'm not very fond of isometric myself.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2008, 09:00:52 pm »

Fixed.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13