Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Question about the upcoming Presentation Arc  (Read 32510 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the upcoming Presentation Arc
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2008, 09:32:36 pm »

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

nornagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • nornagon.net
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2008, 11:22:56 pm »

I updated my little viewer to read maps from the DFMA. This is Charmglen, from Sappho.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still working on the interface to try and make it more intuitive... I'll happily post the code if anyone wants to have a look-see.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2008, 01:44:51 am »

armstrong dwarf is best

also in case you didn't know that was from lineage ii, an old crappy korean anime mmo
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2008, 06:27:56 am »

I updated my little viewer to read maps from the DFMA. This is Charmglen, from Sappho.

Still working on the interface to try and make it more intuitive... I'll happily post the code if anyone wants to have a look-see.
Please... I'm curious how you're loading/warping the tiles to make it look like that.  There's a kind of "Mode 7" feel to it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nornagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • nornagon.net
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2008, 07:24:37 am »

I'm using OpenGL to display the tiles. I'm telling my graphics card to magnify/minify the textures (e.g. due to perspective) by doing a 'nearest neighbour' interpolation--that is, rather than taking a weighted average of two adjacent texels on the texture to produce a gradient effect, it just picks the nearest texel available. That way you get the sharp edges that you can see in the screenshot.

My code's getting towards a releasable state. It now opens .fdf-map files from any of the many DFMA compressors available, and displays them in a semi-usable way. All that remains is to sucker somebody into building it on windows... and to test it out a bit more. One issue I'm having at the moment is working out a good way to remove 'sky' tiles, and the 'dot' tiles you see when looking at a lower level in-game. They're sort of redundant when you're looking at the map in 3D :p

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2008, 07:37:03 am »

I'm using OpenGL to display the tiles. I'm telling my graphics card to magnify/minify the textures (e.g. due to perspective) by doing a 'nearest neighbour' interpolation--that is, rather than taking a weighted average of two adjacent texels on the texture to produce a gradient effect, it just picks the nearest texel available. That way you get the sharp edges that you can see in the screenshot.

My code's getting towards a releasable state. It now opens .fdf-map files from any of the many DFMA compressors available, and displays them in a semi-usable way. All that remains is to sucker somebody into building it on windows... and to test it out a bit more. One issue I'm having at the moment is working out a good way to remove 'sky' tiles, and the 'dot' tiles you see when looking at a lower level in-game. They're sort of redundant when you're looking at the map in 3D :p
I'm curious because I had an idea to test and see if I could get the central view space coordinate somehow and do a mem swipe of the DF Map data in that area in memory to produce an alternate display with some kind of 3D feel to it.  I'm mainly interested in just being able to see multiple Z-levels in real time without having to wait for 3Dwarf's map_extract and loading.

Edit: took me a second to figure out what you're doing.  You're basically looking at the data from the extracts... though any info you have I think will assist me in my experiment. ;)  Seeing as Toady doesn't have any interest in working with others making any kind of interface adjustments, I figured I'd go about it the "hacker" method.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:40:05 am by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nornagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • nornagon.net
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2008, 08:09:04 am »

I'm curious because I had an idea to test and see if I could get the central view space coordinate somehow and do a mem swipe of the DF Map data in that area in memory to produce an alternate display with some kind of 3D feel to it.  I'm mainly interested in just being able to see multiple Z-levels in real time without having to wait for 3Dwarf's map_extract and loading.

Edit: took me a second to figure out what you're doing.  You're basically looking at the data from the extracts... though any info you have I think will assist me in my experiment. ;)  Seeing as Toady doesn't have any interest in working with others making any kind of interface adjustments, I figured I'd go about it the "hacker" method.

Yeah, that'd be neat. Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about memory hacking... but I will be realeasing the source to this when I do make a release. So you'll be able to hack it up to your heart's content :)

geggis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2008, 07:35:21 am »

There's definitely some shape to the landscape with the 'faded depths' applied.

Would you be able to select things on lower z levels? I don't see why not. That would make outdoor navigation really simple especially for selecting the pesky cliff climbing dwarves.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:38:27 am by geggis »

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2008, 07:46:36 am »

Just for the record, quite a while ago (I think even before the introduction of the z-coordinate), there was a discussion about possibly displaying lower levels darkened. I think Toady meant that it could lead to some confusion with things that simply are more darker themselves.

I think we would have to think of a way of how to make the distinction between levels as clear as possible... I guess one would have to see your version in game to get a feeling for it.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2008, 08:06:16 am »

That could happen if the default fading color was black (obsidian stuff would be really hard to see), but I think that if the filter was a lighter, unusual color (purple, maybe?), it wouldn't be so bad. Since the background color and foreground character of a tile would both be filtered the same, it would just show up as faded as everything else in that layer. Might make it a bit more difficult to see, but just being able to see the terrain shapes and notice those little g's a couple levels down would do wonders to situational awareness.

There's a bit of trial and error to finding the right color and fading levels, but I believe this concept's got great potential.  ;D
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2008, 09:26:28 am »

Oh, look what Ive found. Something like this would be perfect in DF regarding isometric view.

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2008, 11:24:44 am »

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2008, 11:28:59 am »

You know what we need before even considering isometric or 3d or any kind of major graphical overhaul? We need to figure out whether we want each and every little action and detail displayed on-screen. I mean, could we really animate different colored socks on 200 dwarves?
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2008, 11:56:42 am »

You know what we need before even considering isometric or 3d or any kind of major graphical overhaul? We need to figure out whether we want each and every little action and detail displayed on-screen. I mean, could we really animate different colored socks on 200 dwarves?

It'd be an artists nightmare if everything was graphically represented.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2008, 12:09:52 pm »

i would like zoomability as well as maybe suport for more textures over time. But I would love to keep it abstract, if it would get to detailed I would put more work into the Abstaract Code Fortress Mod.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13