Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Rivers more than one z-level deep

(1/3) > >>

Fossaman:
One thing that has always bothered me is that all of the rivers in DF are the same depth. Sure, brooks simulate being shallow by being filled with gravel. But I'd like to see more than one z-level of water in a river, with all of it moving. Even better would be rivers that change the width of their banks, and the depth/speed of the water flowing through them at the same time. Broad, deep ponds at the base of waterfalls, canyons with four or five z-levels of water flowing through them at terrifying and dwarf mashing speeds, lazy deltas on the plains...you get the idea. More realistic rivers would be lots and lots of fun.

Jamuk:
...and ramped edges instead of all the vertical drops.

Fossaman:
Of course. But only through soil.

That's another thing that might be interesting; flood plains. Not sure exactly how a body would make those work, though.

winner:
this has been bothering me for awhile, watercourses don't shape the land right, I had one embark where there was a stream perched precariously on top of a ridge.

a way to fix it might be to gouge out the land for several widths to either side.

Neskiairti:
stone gets cliffs.. soil gets ramps (in the water)

give a river a 'weight' in generation..
a heavier weighted river.. will carve X number of tiles through stone.. (Z and X/Y) so a river in stone is as deep as it is wide maybe.. possibly dependant upon the type of stone..

however when it goes through a path of soil it becomes half as deep and twice as wide..

then the merging point where a river goes from soil to stone.. it may split in to two channels (same depth, but tapering to just as wide as the depth) OR it creates a lake.. then the river is continued through the stone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version