Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Interspecies breeding  (Read 49455 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interspecies breeding
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 12:44:30 pm »

If hybrids are not sterile, then what is to prevent the entire world from being composed entirely of crossbreeds?

This - [ETHIC:HALF_BREEDS:UNTHINKABLE]
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 02:21:03 pm »

Relevant for those who haven't seen it, especially the analysis section at the bottom: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_half_dwarf.html

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 02:33:54 pm »

I like the idea of crossbreed tags of some form.  Sterile is already an option (see megabeasts) so what happens in the 'stock' universe isn't really as important as the ability to put two different things together and get a third. 

Hell, you could get those crazy blue chicks from mass effect

[CREATURE:BlueChick]
[CAN_BREED_WITH:Damn Near Anything:BlueChick]

as females, or xenomorphs

[CREATURE:Facehugger]
[CAN_BREED_WITH:Damn Near Anything:Chestburster]

as males

Obviously Halfelves could be designed however the raw worker wanted.

Think, you could change it to Elf + Dwarf = Goblin, Kobold + Goblin = Human, and Human + Orc = Demon.  Not sure why you'd want to do that, but you could.... (This may be a way to make kids cool... say two dwarves breed makes a superdwarf... You'd try to raise kids...)

With the morality thing, you could do old school white wolf werewolves

[CREATURE:Werewolf]
[CAN_BREED_WITH:Human:Human:90%:Werewolf:10%]
[CAN_BREED_WITH:Werewolf:Metis]

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 05:54:37 pm »

Half-breeds come with an interesting problem. What would the tiles representing them look like? For example, 'U' and 'E' are really quite hard to mix together. One solution would be custom graphics, but with ASCII the only option would usually be something that doesn't tell anything about the creatures origin like H(alfbreed or ybrid). Other solution would be colors, but the professions rule that out.

This might not be that big of a problem, but I'd find the H's awkward.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:01:47 pm by LASD »

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 06:14:55 pm »

And this all, of course, could be yet another reason for wars. Races that have [ETHIC:HALF_BREEDS:PUNISH_CAPITAL] might ire the wrath of one of the race's species if done in large enough numbers.

And yeah, to make the Half Breeds sterile, just remove the tags in their creature entry (which I'd like to see, rather than have it generated dynamically, just for more precise control) that deal with them giving birth. Bam, instant sterilisation.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »

And this all, of course, could be yet another reason for wars. Races that have [ETHIC:HALF_BREEDS:PUNISH_CAPITAL] might ire the wrath of one of the race's species if done in large enough numbers.

And yeah, to make the Half Breeds sterile, just remove the tags in their creature entry (which I'd like to see, rather than have it generated dynamically, just for more precise control) that deal with them giving birth. Bam, instant sterilisation.

Why can't it be done both ways?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 08:00:09 pm »

I would think that creatures without breeding tags would only be able to breed with their own species, with a 100% chance of the offspring being of the same species, and have a new [STERILE] tag.

Something else I was thinking about would be having mutations. Maybe, if the breeding tags were in the [BREEDING:other creature:resulting creature:percent chance], then we could have something like this:
[CREATURE:DWARF]
[BREEDING:DWARF:DWARF:99]
[BREEDING:DWARF:DWARF_SUPER:1]
Then we could have mutations and stuff. And with some entity tags, we could make it so that these rare mutants would either be horribly oppressed, or the ruling class, or maybe even worshiped.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 08:39:24 pm »

Something else I was thinking about would be having mutations. Maybe, if the breeding tags were in the [BREEDING:other creature:resulting creature:percent chance], then we could have something like this:
[CREATURE:DWARF]
[BREEDING:DWARF:DWARF:99]
[BREEDING:DWARF:DWARF_SUPER:1]
Then we could have mutations and stuff. And with some entity tags, we could make it so that these rare mutants would either be horribly oppressed, or the ruling class, or maybe even worshiped.

I like this. I like it a lot  ;D
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 09:46:22 pm »

Its a Giant Eagle! Its a flying carp! No, its SUPER DWARF!

...Faster than a speeding wagon, more powerful than a bronze colossus!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:48:29 pm by Lord Nightmare »
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 10:10:13 pm »

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/User:JT/Token_Wishlist

Thorough, detailed, highly flexible...  Let it be noted that I approve of this page.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 12:02:57 am »

The other problem with half breeds is that you need a creature definition for every single one before you can add the tags to allow their existence.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 07:13:27 am »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 09:24:04 am »

The other problem with half breeds is that you need a creature definition for every single one before you can add the tags to allow their existence.

That would pose a challenge. But we already have mules, so that's cool.

What else do we need? Half elves, half dwarves, and dwarelves. I'm not sure if we should include goblins and kobolds in this whole mixing thing. Kobolds seem to primitive, and goblins... Maybe with elves, because elves are at least as evil as goblins. Oh, and ligers. And giant ligers.

And maybe Toady could hold a contest. He would tell us to make our most best half-breeds, and then the modding fun could begin. That would be pretty cool.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 09:26:28 am »

This would open the door for that horrible, horrible bestiality. No elfdonkeys for me.

Except that by mentioning it someone is already working furiously on implementing it in-game somehow.

...crap. >:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14