Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Nobles  (Read 1759 times)

Quixotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human Nobles
« on: January 03, 2019, 04:52:11 pm »

Human civilizations have the site-dependent nobles, meaning that positions vary greatly. What are some of these? I rarely interacts with humans in game, so my knowledge is pretty limited to warlord and (I think king?)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Human Nobles
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 04:43:54 am »

Humans appear to have varying positions - sometimes they have them, sometimes they don't. Same goes for Goblins who I'll also touch on.

Leaders are usually monarchs (King or Queen,) or alternatively the Law-Giver. The positions may or may not be hereditary, more intensive investigation needed there, probably with Legends viewer to determine the relations between human rulers. Goblin equivalents would be their Masters, either a demon or whoever managed to depose or replace him following his or her death.

Lesser nobles will almost without fail be Lords and Ladies if they have lesser nobles, and these positions appear to be hereditary (It's not unusual for human residents to suddenly assume the position of Lord of some human site or another in a dwarven Fortress during gameplay.) They have no actual room requirements by the look of things. Goblins might also have these lesser nobles, but it seems to be less often than Humans.

Military command rests in either a Warlord or General. Functionally the same, but I've seen both, though never in the same civ. Varies from civ to civ what the position will be named between these two. Goblins also sometimes have a General or Warlord in addition to their Masters.

There's also of course various religious leaders, but they aren't civ-level nobles.

They don't seem to have any other positions - no diplomats because the leader acts in this capacity, no mayors, no militia commanders, law enforcement, or anything. This is likely because they are, without modding, unplayable outside adventure mode.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 06:06:20 am »

Splint's observations are correct, though I myself have never seen the Lawgiver referred to as anything else but Lawgiver(even though it does seem hereditary for some civs). You can see this reflected in the nobles map. Dwarf sites are interconnected because their nobles are hashed out, but the other civs just have a capital.

That said, we should see a big upgrade next release, because apparently the nobles needed to scheme more, and the other civs also need some defence mechanisms against villains.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 06:20:55 am »

Splint's observations are correct, though I myself have never seen the Lawgiver referred to as anything else but Lawgiver(even though it does seem hereditary for some civs). You can see this reflected in the nobles map. Dwarf sites are interconnected because their nobles are hashed out, but the other civs just have a capital.

I've seen it only very rarely. The last time I saw it was... Six, seven months ago I think, and even then that was a gen on an older version. It's probably there, but only rarely seen for one reason or another, possibly to help humans feel more distinct from dwarves and elves (who are ruled by a monarch with a proper royal title,) and goblins who are usually lead by Masters.

I'll also add at least in 31.25 and 34.11 I've also seen "Law-Speaker" as a title for a human leader. Might still be in there.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 07:01:04 am »

All types of generated nobles can be lured out like the Dwarven monarch can by using [POSITION:MONARCH] which is the hardcoded leader, whether they are a demon leader of the civ or otherwise at the start on the usual monarch triggers but will obey what you've written in for the monarch, allowing flexibility.

Some other interesting generated positions are as follows, and these can be referenced and the game is hardcoded to know what you're talking about.

[MONARCH] called in when your fort reaches mountainhome status via the hardcoded way of doing so in dwarf fortress mode irregardless of race.
^
[GENERAL] - highest direct military unit in status, when/if they arrive they usually bring the best equipment.
^
(self/pre-supplied intermediary role like Lieutenant, higher in status or has alternative duties like patrolling/attacking enemies rather, any prescidence you like though usually in the middle or pretty bad)
^
[CAPTAIN] - generic army controller squads not to be mistake with militia captain, worst equipment, their function might be hardcoded or connected to [ATTACK_ENEMIES] responsibility.

I found out interestingly enough that mistakenly using [MILITIA_CAPTAIN] (or whatever you were using for that role) when put in command for the army controllers will actually visibly drain historical site population defenders before a siege happens because it pulls the population into the ranks. This can be very useful if applied properly and it took me a while before i understood what was going on.

Related: I don't know what the generated position name is for the guild associate that spawns with the input of MERCHANT_NOBILITY, but id like to get my hands on it. Also im quite interested with what kinds of new generated positions i can play with for next release.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:12:24 am by FantasticDorf »