Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Embark Anywhere (2013.1.25.1)  (Read 57216 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Embark Anywhere
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 03:44:42 am »

Does that mean that i can take some tiles of an abandoned Fortress? Does it work with 39D

Both valid queries, which I am too damn sleepy to figure out, since it's literally almost 5:00. If nobody else does, I'll figure it out for ya tomorrow.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 07:01:28 am »

It works. Tried it.

Thing is, any tunnels that you mined out fill themselves back in if you mine any of the surrounding tiles connecting them. It's very strange. However, this allows you to get the resources again.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 08:01:39 am »

Does that mean that i can take some tiles of an abandoned Fortress? Does it work with 39D

I think so, it would mean you wouldnt have to reclaim, just move back in.

Also i want to make an epic mountain gatehouse that guards the roads

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 08:46:02 pm »

...But if you build road out onto a pure water square, then reembark onto that square... Does it send you there? And if not, can you just tweak yourself a landing island from the beach?

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 12:44:29 pm »

So, the devious plan:

1) have a fortress with magma and ocean/lake.
2) pump magma with an aqueduct to make an isolated obsidian island;
3) abandon
4) embark anywhere on the small island that has water all around, no new immigrants, no traders, no sieges/ambushes
5) dwarven incest fortress!

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 06:18:21 am »

Bug report!

When embarking on part of a previously abandoned fortress, soon after you unpause the game constructions (and not only constructions) disappear and dwarf fortress crashes. Plus, you can't embark on only part of the fortress, if you select just a part, arriving you see the entire fortress. Save available.

edit: the same thing (selecting all former site) happens when you embark on part of a worldgen dwarf fortress.

edit2: this appears to be the fault of DF itself, as resizing happens without using embark anywhere as well.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:33:24 am by Bask »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 08:00:20 am »

I think it's possible. Now you can embark with 7 non-military dwarves and desired gear atop of your old fortress. Great!
But does it leave previous items?

P.S. How will it treat fortress names? Will we have double-named fortress then? o_O
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:02:36 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 08:29:29 pm »

This plus viewing tunnels makes us that much closer to starting fortresses inside them.

That would be pretty awesome.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 07:10:06 am »

40c compatible.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

mythmonster2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 01:42:09 pm »

Maybe I did something wrong, but I put this in a folder (Not DF folder. Were you supposed to do that?) and started DF, then this. When I started this up, a message came up asking "Unpatch Dwarf Fortress?" and Yes or No. I didn't know what it meant, so I did no.I have 40c, so can someone help me here?
Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
And neither can I...

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 01:52:50 pm »

When it asks, "Unpatch Dwarf Fortress?" it means that it found the code it had patched in DF, instead of the code it needed to patch, so it's asking if you really want to remove the code change that Embark Anywhere made.

Embark Anywhere doesn't care where it's, it just expects Dwarf Fortress to be running.

mythmonster2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 04:27:39 pm »

So that means press yes, right?
Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
And neither can I...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 05:20:53 pm »

If you run Embark Anywhere and it asks "unpatch?" and you say "yes" then you're playing vanilla again: embark of 2x2 and larger.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 10:27:45 am »

Is there any possible fix for when your mining gets completely undone when you mine on top of an old fortress?
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 01:03:31 pm »

As far as i know from one or two (provoked) Crashes of DF is that the area in which you embark gets "created/generated", then (if you save) shoved in an file and at last DF marks the area on the mainmap as not embarkable.

If you use "Embark anywhere", DF gets asured that the certain area is embarkable. This means that an new fortressfile is created with an blank area if you hit embark.

So to be true that the fortress is undone isnt the failure of "Embark Anywhere". It is the "Failure" of DF which does safe the fortresses separately from the main map which is totally reasonable to me cause it does save very much discspace.

Maybe it is possible to rewrite embark anywhere so an Previous Fortress would be counted like an regular settlement of the Race which did build it. This way you would get your old fortress maybe.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 01:10:09 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7