Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 95

Author Topic: The Eternal Halls - An Endless Succession Game  (Read 203996 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
The Eternal Halls - An Endless Succession Game
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:29:11 pm »

I've seen a number of succession games peter out due to lack of interest, end in some cataclysmic tantrum spiral, or just achieve their objective and stop.

I don't want that.

I like to think of a fortress as the last hope of the dwarven civilization.  The mountain halls are exhausted of minerals and food, and expansion is a do-or-die situation.  Thus, I propose a different kind of succession game:

We don't quit.  No objectives, no purpose, and above all, no quitting.  What do I mean?

If the magma overflows and floods half the fort, we dig again elsewhere in the same plot and rebuild.  If the river floods, same thing.  If we release demons, we fight them back.  If there's a massive fatal tantrum spiral that kills all the dwarves, we reclaim the place.  This location MUST be held. 

It's a bit harder to guard against lack of interest, but any time I can't contact any of the players, I'll run a year and keep the thread updated.  I'll maintain the fort even if no one reads it.  Ha!

Of course, this isn't saying we can't keep the place interesting.  No overarching, definitive objective does not mean you can't build your own silly projects, or even build half of one and wait for your next turn.  Just nothing to say "Ok,fort's done".  Because it won't ever be done.  It's the new capital for the civilization.

Who's with me?  I've already got a spot with cave river, magma pipe, chasm, and adamantine.  Year long turns into eternity!

1. Dadamh (done)
2. Run Comrades (done)
3. ChJees (done early)
4. Aqizzar (Rewound and Done Again)
5. Cave King(Done)
6. Iluogo (Postponed)
7. Antila (Skipped)
8. PTTG (Done)
8a. Iluogo (Done)
9. Immortal (Skipped)
10. Umiman (skipped)
11. Drunken (Skipped for no response)
12. Marine King (Done (twice))
13. Dogman (Done)
14. Kishmond (Spore)
15. Penguinofhonor (FPS Problems)
16. Sizik (Done)
17. Dadamh (Done)
18. Run Comrades (Skipped)
19. CHJees (Skipped)
20. Aqizzar (Done)
21. Cave King (Skipped, No Response)
22. ChazzyBurger (Skipped, No Response)
23. TheSpaceMan (Skipped)
     23a. ChazzyBurger (Skipped)
24. Possessed(Skipped)
25. Katsuun (Skipped)
26. Antlia (Skipped)
27. Eita (Done)
28. Chaoticag (Skipped)
29. Blake Koris(Skipped)
30. Iluogo (Skipped, No Response)
31. Balor Kartain (Skipped, No Response)
32. Maggarg (Skipped)
33. MC Dirty  (Skipped)
34. Jamini (No Response to PM)
35. Sukasa (Skipped)
36. nahkh (Done)
37.Thuellai (No Response to PM)
38.Hoborobo234 (No Response to PM)
39.Sizik (Done)
40.Qloos (Skipped)
41.RuckSackJack (No Response to PM)
42. PTTG (Done)
43. Dadamh (Done)
44.inaluct (Current, going rather slowly)
45. Barbarossa the Seal God
46. Lucifer
47. Aqizzar
48. Viprince
49. ChazzyBurger
50. The V Man (Reproducing)
51. shackleton
52. Solarn
53. Katsuun
54. obscurequote
55. Kai
56. Skelodwarf
57. Maggarg - Eater of chicke
58. nahkh
59. kotekzot
60. Sizik
61. PTTG?
62. Dadamh
63. Redgaia
64. Criptfeind
65. TobiasF
66. SeanTucker
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:52:59 pm by Dadamh »

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
Re: The Eternal Halls - An Endless Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:42:23 pm »

Sign me up!  :D

I'm on another bloodline game now, so if they ever clash, I'll just skip my turn on this one.  But I'd be in it for the long-haul, no worries there! :D  Oh, but I might have to drop out much later in the game if we get a really high population, like more than 150, because I think my comp is too slow, but we'll see!

Dwarf Characteristics
Male, if possible.  Name: Omer.  Occupation: Broker/Manager, and all related skills (but not treasurer!).  How about a few points to weaponcrafting too, just in case I get moody!  Pick a character that is more reclusive, and male if possible.  If not give the recluse favor, so even if female go recluse! Oh, and give him/her any other skills needed as well. Preferably an indoor job like mining or farming.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:55:53 pm by Run Comrades »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:15:01 pm »

Count me in.  I was thinking about proposing a succession game where we start with the Primative challenge - just seven peasants, an empty wagon, and our dwarven guts.

At any rate, I just genned up a world with a dwarven civ that got wiped out by goblins and is still at war with them, yet can still be embarked with.  There's no magma in the useful area, but it adds a nice dramatic impetus.  There's still other dwarf civs in the world though, so it's not as good as a world where our fort would be the last dwarven stronghold.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:17:17 pm »

Sounds good ;P. Im in.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:55:28 pm »

Dwarf Characteristics
Male, if possible.  Name: Omer.  Occupation: Broker/Manager, and all related skills (but not treasurer!).  How about a few points to weaponcrafting too, just in case I get moody!  Pick a character that is more reclusive, and male if possible.  If not give the recluse favor, so even if female go recluse! Oh, and give him/her any other skills needed as well. Preferably an indoor job like mining or farming.

Setting up a dwarf with those skills is easy, but making sure they are reclusive and male isn't.  But I'll give a dwarf those skills and name them "Omer" anyway.

There's still other dwarf civs in the world though, so it's not as good as a world where our fort would be the last dwarven stronghold.

Heh.  Well, I don't think we need world history that matches the game concept per se.  I mean, after all, we're going to get trade caravans from the mountainhomes anyway.  I've got a spot picked out on a world that has magma, chasm, cave river, and adamantine, so it should be sufficient for a long-term fort.  Of course, I dunno if bauxite is available from the mountainhomes/embark screen.  I'll check.

OK!  We've got a few people, so I'll regen the world tomorrow and embark.  Expect a report probably friday and we'll kick this off.  Anyone else wants to play, say so and I'll add you to the list.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 11:16:32 pm »

Bauxite was available for me at embark for my last fort. But it was reclaim so I dunno.

Re:Reclusive male, just thought I'd try and maybe get lucky! :p

Cave King

• Bay Watcher
  • "I leave from where the apostle arrived."
    • View Profile
    • Firefox
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 11:50:05 pm »

;D Sign me up for turn 5 please.
CPU: AMD 64 Athlon @ 2.6GHz
Ram: 2GB DDR2 600
Video Card: 8800GT
I can handle a moderate population with a medium map at 60+ fps.
I also have a ton of free time.
2012 Losing is fun!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 02:35:39 am »

When I tried asking the dwarven liaison for bauxite Angel of Wards it wasn't listed.  I think it depends on what the home civ has access to.

You might want to switch me and ChJees.  I won't be able to take a turn until Monday at the earliest.

And are we embarking with ourselves as the starting seven?  Very cool.
Aqizzar - Male preferably (I never seem to get a good male dwarf)
5 Carpenter, 3 Axedwarf, 2 Bowyer
No nonsense personality if possible, if not then just anything not cheery.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cave King

• Bay Watcher
  • "I leave from where the apostle arrived."
    • View Profile
    • Firefox
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 03:42:46 am »

Do we get to choose the starting guys?
If so here is mine
Nickname: Calvin
Profession: Mechanic
9 Mason - 9 Mechanic - 7 Building Designer
2012 Losing is fun!

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 05:42:57 am »

You might want to switch me and ChJees.  I won't be able to take a turn until Monday at the earliest.

And are we embarking with ourselves as the starting seven?  Very cool.

Ok, you are switched.  Also, yes, to starting ourselves, I suppose, since Run Comrades sort of suggested it.  But not as all seven, since I'm embarking in a few minutes and I've only got five players.

Also:  Can't really set personality or gender without cheating, and I don't want to cheat given the instability it causes.  So I'll make a person with those skills and hope it turns up well.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 06:06:16 am »

Well, a slight problem.  No bauxite from either of the dwarf civilizations in this world.

Bauxite is important if you feel the need to make any magma-handling devices.  It's fairly unlikely we'll find any on the embark site, because there's not much of a sedimentary layer there.

A poll among players and non-players, in a very informal way.  Responses will be read at 11:30 or so today (lunch hour), defaulting to "Stay here anyway" if no votes.

Should we stay or should we go?  Meaning:  Should I make worlds until I find a site that has all the required features as well as bauxite available, or just deal with the lack of magma playing?

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 06:57:41 am »

i'd like to join to if possible
and about the bauxite i think you should look for another location because a sedimentary layer is really nice to have because you can then make a good metal industry and without you only really have bronze to work with

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 07:04:36 am »

I say stay. 

If it's not available from the mountainhomes, what are the chances that we can get it in trading?  Probably not good, I assume.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 10:47:27 am »

I say stay. 

If it's not available from the mountainhomes, what are the chances that we can get it in trading?  Probably not good, I assume.

Chances are actually zero on that, I think.  The caravans have access to what the starting civ has access to, which doesn't include it.  I'll make a bunch of new worlds till I find a useful site.  Shouldn't take too long.

I wouldn't normally bother so much with finding a 'perfect' site, but any fort that is supposed to last 'forever' needs to have all the amenities.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:00:15 am by Dadamh »

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 11:00:37 am »

And by the way, make use of the new Note system in the new version :P. Label levers so we know what they are used for.

Oh and add Notes to specific areas.

Mini tutorial on how to use Notes:

N to access Note Mode.
/ * - + To Change Symbol and Color.
c To toggle between changing: Symbol, Foreground Color & Background Color.

The rest is quite self explanatory :P.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 95