Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95

Author Topic: The Eternal Halls - An Endless Succession Game  (Read 203958 times)

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
Re: The Eternal Halls - An Endless Succession Game
« Reply #1395 on: January 15, 2022, 07:36:44 pm »

who would've expected a succession game from 2008 with the promise of never ending would still be alive here in 2022
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 15, 2022, 08:34:05 pm »

"That is not dead which can Eternal lie..."
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 15, 2022, 09:15:41 pm »

I shall take a turn!

My contribution to history!

Exa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 16, 2022, 10:29:37 pm »

1st Hematite, 125
Dorfed (I also took requests off-site)

9th Hematite, 125

Ah, whoops - I didn't know this when I installed those levers, but deactivating a gear assembly which is supporting a waterwheel or axle causes that waterwheel or axle to collapse. So we're now missing two waterwheels and the axle that connects the waterwheels to... some screw pumps that go from the river to a statue garden. Is this for mist? Cleaning? I'll see if I can reinstall the waterwheels and axle and change which gear assemblies the levers turn off.

11th Hematite, 125
Human caravan, time to trade off more narrow clothing.

16th Hematite, 125

Three squads of goblins.
(Okay, how does the military work... m to go to the military screen, v to view each squad, t to set the squad to on duty. After setting squads to on duty, go back to world view, x for squads, plus and minus to scroll through squads and s to station. And then when the siege is over go back with m->v->t to set them back to standing down)

Most dwarves were busy hauling goods to the depot, so there's not a lot outside. I told everyone to get indoors (o->i) as fast as they can.

I think Monom was the only one still outside, they came in through a side entrance I'd forgotten existed and have now forbidden.

I want to get this over with quickly so I don't run out of time on the caravan, so I'm sending out squads proactively rather than waiting for the goblins to come to us.

20th Hematite, 125
Siege is broken with zero casualties. Everyone get back to hauling.

21st Hematite, 125
Traded the caravan some trash for all their food, all their barrels (with or without contents), all their metal bars, and a bunch of iron bolts just because they were expensive, and sent them off with a 150% profit margin.

18th Malachite, 125

Reconstructed this axle, but the gear assembly that connects it to the screw pumps is disengaged, and I don't know where that lever is. I've also disassembled the two levers that caused waterwheels to collapse, and am rebuilding the waterwheels.

28th Malachite, 125

Repairs completed.

8th Limestone, 125

Turned out that glassmaking was stalled for lack of dwarves assigned to potash making. Marineking's new desk is done.

15th Limestone, 125
Dwarven caravan is here. Six wagons. Traded for a bunch of steel gear. We've almost run through the unbinned nonmetal narrow clothing at this point (by a combination of trading and making more bins) but there's plenty more in the finished goods bins.

24th Sandstone, 125
Two dwarves died. I don't know who, when, or how - but the census shows that we dropped from 147 to 145. Possibly relatedly, no migrants came this season.

On checking the census more carefully, it appears that Mond, the carpenter, was one of the ones who died for unknown reasons. I am now feeling rather paranoid.

15th Moonstone, 125

Small goblin ambush.

Seriously? A champion fell to that? Pathetic.

19th Opal, 125

We're running very low on free coffins - I've ordered an additional 40 tombs carved out, and ordered 11 coffins which combined with the ones already in stock should suffice to fill them

1st Granite, 126

save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15822

relevant dwarf therapist version: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14657

Oh, and the relevant DF version is DF 0.28.181.40d which can be found here https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

Next turn: This is first-come-first-serve - if you announce dibs on the next turn, let's say... 28 days until dibs expires if you haven't played a turn and posted a save?
I'll be PMing people off of this list https://docs.google.com/document/d/19XtJWBjIVdXX0Df3KOvlLLVtqMpvcmNpGoNWfoZ8ZEQ/edit?usp=sharing at a rate of one per day until someone calls dibs or I run out of names - you do not need to have been PMed to take a turn, nor do you need to be on this list.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:28:26 am by Exa »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 17, 2022, 09:24:35 am »

I shall be going next!

I look forward to carving a new generation's history alongside many other years of hard labor!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: January 21, 2022, 10:35:01 am »

Wow I never imagined 08 version would be so different!
I have that same feeling I had when I first started dwarf fortress and was learning it!

Going in my idea was to do something ambitious and grand, but likely for this turn I'll have to do something modest and reasonable alongside with learning the controls and keeping the dwarves alive!
I'm excited!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: January 28, 2022, 02:37:11 pm »

I went into this year with the mindset that it might be interesting for everyone if I played without reading the previous entries. throw me to the wolves

This instead produced a great amount of anxiety and nearly led to a fell mood. I spent most of the hours I put into this one year with the game paused as I agonized over the controls and with whether or not my actions might besmirch the efforts of those who came before.

2008 dwarf fortress really is like its own prequel game lol

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The iron road is beautiful. The majesty of this fort is both overwhelming and inspiring.  I can not tell you the function of half of the rooms here.
My only complaint is everything being made of rough stone. Even though you can't see the difference in my head I know its there. Also the iron road being made of bars instead of blocks made my stockpile work difficult

Long short. ITS A MESS.
There's virtually no military right now and we are constantly being ambushed by goblins.
As much as I find the sight of naked dwarven wrestlers covered in vomit, piss and blood twirling around the battlefield it simply shall not do.
Dwarves have been drafted
I do not know if the previous overseer had plans for the candy other than coins, but the candy we already have I've converted into armor, and when that ran out I did bismuth bronze and then iron. (I did NOT mine more candy out of respect for the fact that there might be other plans)
Fortunately, with the humans coming I bought a plethora of iron toys and steel ones from the dwarves.
The fact that both had exclusively steel toys or iron toys leads me to believe previous overseers relied on this trade too although for non-military projects!

Oh joy the heir to our kingdom's throne has been kidnapped! This is the first time in my years of playing I've ever lost a dwarf to a snatcher. I fully expect him to return 30 years from now to violently reclaim his throne

We will not tell the monarchs until I've had time to flee.
Dwarves keep dying. This is before there was a burrow function so everyone feels content to suicidality charge to claim ragged pairs of socks at the edge of the map AND the military is still new and training and mostly naked

Simple solution that my fellow dwarves might find reprehensible: Cage traps.
Not fair I know, but we're not ready. I spread them out across the western half of the map and around the major thoroughfares and caught around 20 goblins.
I do not know where the garbage dump is here all I can do is dearly hope that it is a pool of magma as I had every goblin disposed of
Good. More meat for the grinder

The dwarven caravan dealt with a goblin ambush for us. I find that the goblins are exceptionally well-armed and skilled as well! No wonder they have no problem killing naked wrestlers. Fortunately, that means the gear sells well!

I would note that our duchess has a lot of dead children.

I propose we convert one of the countless statue gardens into an arena, although I had no time to prepare this I suggest it for my future overseer as it will likely be the place of my death for allowing the royal heir to be taken.

For the winter the goblins came in force. Many were caught in traps thankfully. The real problem came with our populace having a suicidal urge to go and loot items from the wilderness at the same time. Frankly, after a year of stress I was done and so I made little effort to save them.
8 dwarves died before the military arrived and quite handily dealt with the enemy, if I do say so myself!

I can say I mostly finished rebuilding a military, although I had to start many new graves and fill them this year!

Bright side! Queen gave birth to another child! So the bloodline is secure and hopefully my head

I don't know what caught fire on this bridge here and I don't want to know! I am changing my identity!

Here is a video of me leaving the scene of this fort at the end of the year while ignoring all the problems that occurred during my tenure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QWnCDYeYH0&ab_channel=Bacon_

I've changed my name back from Maloy to a new identity! Hopefully no one in the fort will know it is me thanks to how many are dead and all the new faces.

here is the save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15834
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 04:29:13 pm by Maloy »

Exa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 28, 2022, 07:15:49 pm »

A note, which will hopefully be useful to others if they do not also decide not to read anything that came before. This is before burrows, but you can still order dwarves to stay indoors (o->i).

(also, end-of-turn note: this fort is currently operating on a first-come-first-serve basis. If you want to play a turn, announce as such and you then have 28 days to play and post a save before dibs expires. I'm PMing people to see if someone who had some existing interest wants to take a turn, but you don't have to have been PMed to take a turn)
(relevant DT version: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14657)
(relevant DF version: 0.28.181.40d)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 08:27:26 am by Exa »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 07, 2022, 07:33:51 am »

Shit, this is still going? I wouldn't have time to even touch it forthe next week, so since I'm apparently on the list you can skip me.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 18, 2022, 07:26:18 pm »

I like the concept and I should read it sometimes, but 0.28 is too old-school for me. No Legends Viewer, no DF Hack, Space instead of Escape, you can't even minimize the thing without wonking out? Good luck to people playing the game, the stories should be good after being played for such a long time.

A note, which will hopefully be useful to others if they do not also decide not to read anything that came before. This is before burrows, but you can still order dwarves to stay indoors (o->i).

(also, end-of-turn note: this fort is currently operating on a first-come-first-serve basis. If you want to play a turn, announce as such and you then have 28 days to play and post a save before dibs expires. I'm PMing people to see if someone who had some existing interest wants to take a turn, but you don't have to have been PMed to take a turn)
(relevant DT version: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14657)
(relevant DF version: 0.28.181.40d)

OP has logged in just last month, which is something. Maybe they'll update the turn list and such, otherwise the readers could do some improv themselves or ask the mods to modify OP's post (but if he can be contacted to retake the reigns of the thread, hopefully it won't be necessary).

By the way, I found the thread via Hall of Legends, Bralbaard mentioning its revival there, in case anyone was wondering.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 07:35:03 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 13, 2022, 11:49:53 am »

What, it’s only been four months? Works for me, time to dust off the ol’ key-punchy-make-dwarf-do-thing and get to work. Who needs to learn an old system when you never learned the new one. DF2#? Pah. I remember when all this was fields.

As I am unfortunately a functional adult now my first step is scheduling fortress time between all of those important life-y parts. But I might be able to tweak some hours here and there over the weekend. Watch this space.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 14, 2022, 08:39:22 am »

So we begin, although the earth is long since struck. Returning to my throne of power, my garden of migranes, a mere thirteen years later.
That's right, I last ran this exact fortress in 2009. A thrill to read, although it is curious how reading my literature from those times makes my insides hurt and eyes water.
I am pretty sure I was the one who built the road of iron. I might do some block-work to fix up the summary screen.

Yep... let's turn the resolution down a tad.
Ah, feels like nothing has changed.
Goals for this year:
1. A new source of iron
2. Using all of this cyan tumbleweed for something productive
3. Bin and Barrel replenishment (I hope I don't create an FPS monster with this)

Nevermind- the new year started with a siege. A quick dip into military mechanics and I've sent out the champions
Obsidian swords and steel armor make short work of these.
One champion appears to have taken a knock to the head, or maybe just too much light- but he was slaughtering just fine regardless.

A new siege comes quickly afterwards, and three mobs of goblins disappear as quickly as a blinky mob of smiling faces can approach and then dismember them

Working on part 2. I've got strands being extracted but I'm unsure how this stuff worked in 40d. If I recall even the damage system was different. Cloaks were godlike, but wore out quite quickly, whereas things like platemail weren't really worth the cost.
I'm tempted to start on chainmail, as I believe blunt damage is a bit washy in this version. I'll have a look though.
Now, how would a person smelt this stuff into weapons and armor without it being immediately claimed by the civilian population? For sure I have no idea.

New news interrupts me, I have a fey mood craftsman who has claimed a workshop... somewhere. Cannot for the life of me find them.
However, that draws my attention to something else. Seems a noble's mandate must have expired as I'm viewing an altercation here.
That right there... is a champion beating a guard unconscious with his fists.
Sometimes the law needs to take a second and evaluate.

A new hammer arrives with a migrant wave the next day. We'll see what he has to say about this.

And our prodigy has completed their work. It's a child!
Leaving this here so we know who to make a stonecrafter when they come of age.

Interesting note, I have learned that if dwarves are Activated but not 'On Duty', that is when they will spar in the barracks.
So far, the champions are becoming more proficient. Also, we have three fortress guard out of commission, one missing an arm, one with a spinal injury and one with a heavy lung injury.
These two things may be related. Perhaps I should find somewhere to store training equipment.

Till next season!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 10:00:33 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 15, 2022, 12:45:53 am »

1st Hematite.
... I probably need to deal with the amount of cats.

A peasant has been struck down. No idea where, but it's my first fatality of the year.

Glassmaker threw a tantrum. He has destroyed a floor hatch... somewhere. Some downsides to the now wild 40FPS I appear to be pulling.
He then swiftly became my second casualty. The hammerer is equipped with... a masterwork steel warhammer. That could be problematic.
Guess he's no longer complaining about job security.

A new siege occurred, and I got to send out my new squad of crossbowdwarves to deal with them.
Not sure what kind of crossbows they're using but they can really beat the tar out of goblin with them.

Some...
Cleanup. Got to keep on top of this. I forgot about 40d.

There looks like a good kill-pit outside, but the bottom is inaccessible. Following the stairs up...
Ah, the mystery shack. Hopefully this mystery is as simple as 'It makes the big pit work'.
... It did not. I have ordered the lever re-pulled in the hope that it will forestall whatever disaster I have set loose upon the fortress.

there is also this lever... but...
I think I'm done with pulling levers for now.

There is a lever, somewhere:
which operates this floodgate and reopens the kill pit for use.
I invite anyone to try and find it.
(Hint. Possibly avoid the FELMOOD lever)

Our Duchess has given birth to another boy. The royal line is secure due only to fecundity in the face of ridiculous odds.
Meanwhile, the king recently has thrown multiple tantrums.
Either the Queen Consort or the Astronomer's bedroom is a wee bit too hardcore.
Or the glass pane I put in might be so much less value than the ≡engraving≡ it will have defaced.

His fault for mandating it. I've dropped an artifact cabinet in his room to see if that will shut him up.
Our Armorsmithing as a whole is subpar. I'm feeling it's not worth using our cyan superproduct with people who are less than proficient.
That being said, strand extraction is proceeding smoothly. No idea where they're being stored but I assume it's safe-ish.

See you in Autumn!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 16, 2022, 05:15:24 am »

1st Limestone

Trade! The human caravans have arrived! I've managed to offload another set of narrow equipment, but unfortunately having a guard as your broker isn't exactly useful for getting them to show up to the depot.
Nonetheless, I got some cheeses and some steel equipment. If I'd had more time I could have emptied them out, but unfortunately haulers are hard to find sometimes.

In other news, I managed to gather all of this nonsense into one place
and organise for it to be melted. Problem solved until the next siege.

Two guards have recovered from their (probably not deserved) injuries, so now it's only three invalids in the common bedroom.
This is also the inaugral opening of the 'target practice hall' seen on the right. Get some experience at the expense of those recently caged creatures!
A little 40d oopsie, maybe. Ammunition will not be re-stacked. It's either melt it down, or someone somewhere sometime has a quiver of 1.

Let's recover from this with another fun fact. Reports aren't on 'R' this long ago. 'R' finds rooms! Or any built object really.
Helpful when you need to find a single inexplicable farmer's workshop or tanner. That's right- one. Running the fortress.
I've built a couple more of these. Now I just need to massacre more animals. Thankfully there are other cages.

Now just to stay ahead of ridiculous mandates for bronze items and greaves.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 05:21:41 am by Tack »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 16, 2022, 06:14:35 am »

1st Moonstone

Winter has arrived with little fanfare. Leather items have begun to be processed, and there is an assortment of greaves flying from the furnaces.

Kogan Swimpulley finally hit a fortress guard, and bounced. That's some rough damage to his leg. Pre-DF2012, there's no medicine so it's mostly going to be the work of time and water while he gets back up. Plus, maybe soap? Can't remember if soap was in that yet, or just a great trade good.

I've found what might be the result of the 'item inaccessible' prompts. This vault- packed with a ridiculous maze and filled with a single coin stockpile
Economy in 40d... well, existed, but has never not been in a broken state. Essentially, it was better to have zero coins, ever. Dwarves are able to do the mental gymnastics of their own account just fine, and it's preferable to the constant rushing back and forth from the mint to accumulate their precise wealth in coins. Hence, an empty coin stockpile in a locked room at the end of the world. Smart.
I've deleted the stockpile and I'm gonna see if that clears stuff up, just in case some goblins dropped some coins somewhere at some point.

Edit: It didn't.

Kogan One-Leg is slowly starving and dehydrating on the floor of the training room, so I might strip a few hauling jobs off a peasant, see if he can be convinced to do some more intensive health care.

My final act of trying to clean up before I leave, the king is still tragically struck by the bedroom conditions of his lessers. He's sitting on some extra real-estate which his room isn't actually reaching, so I'm going to see if I can extend it into that stockpile.
Stone (I think) is a teeny negative value, but it's far outstripped by the ridiculously high value of the engravings underneath, so that shouldn't be a problem at all. We'll have to see next year if his thoughts recover from his tragic ignomy.
The butt.

Well, I daresay I've done what I can here. There are a gaggle of dogs being born and I have no idea where the animal trainer's workshop is, so that's probably a future problem.
Also, decent progress has been made on updating the Iron Road, but that's not a one-year job at this point. Everyone is busy as heck. The good news is that Kogan is on a bed now. It would be pretty ridiculous to lose a champion withering away on the floor.

Here's the save:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16003
Here's the version:
https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28_181_40d.zip
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95