Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Okay, seriously, how long does it take for two dwarves to get married  (Read 7293 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, seriously, how long does it take for two dwarves to get married
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 08:49:02 pm »

I think this will be my final update on this because I probably have to start again.  Something is screwy here.  All of the dwarfs in the second seven are now married.  Hah!  Success, you think.  Well, no...  At the beginning, 2 pairs were married (i.e., 4 dwarfs out of seven).  Then I noticed that one of the other dwarfs in the second seven was married to a dwarf outside of the second seven.  I figured I had just made a mistake because it shows them having 4 kids outside of the fortress.  OK, second seven becomes second 8 -- 6 of which are married to each other.  Now, I've just checked and the remaining two are now married -- not to each other, but to dwarfs outside of the fortress.  WTH???

I've got to think that there is something wrong with this world. I admit to having played this world quite a bit before starting this fortress -- and it might have even created in 43.03.  Oh well, I learned something anyway.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 12:24:16 am »

Well, I'm still getting my current fortress to work, because mega project, and also wanting to breed up to actually being the mountainhome (migrant limit: 60, up to 68 from kids because we have reproduction, finally).

My honeymoon suites have produced 2 married couples after *8* years, and 3 lover couples who don't seem to want to get married.  (Only 2 suites, so it's two couples at a time, and I'm not quite sure when to give up - it's taking over a year to go from lover to married on average).

I'm now out of dwarves who are friends with age-appropriate members of the other gender (at least according to my spreadsheet), which means its now time for some guess work.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 03:47:11 am »

Sorry to hear your work has turned into a mess, mikekchar: I think this is useful research.

Lover -> married usually takes a month or so for me (assuming the candidates do not have traits to slow it down). Since I use DFHack screening, I don't try to match up dorfs that won't marry at all. So Squirrelloid, how did you manage to get them to take such a long time but still reach the nuptial finish line? It might shed some additional light on the murky process.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 05:58:21 pm »

Had a busy week and didn't get to play as much.  But one year has passed, with six new migrants bringing the total fortress pop to 29.  The new migrants arrived in early spring, and this is a snapshot near the beginning of the following year so they had nearly a total year to socialize.  Here are the new average stats:

Year/dwarves - Friendly Terms or better, Friends (or better)
Yr1/7 - 18.7 FT+, 8.7 F+
Yr2/4 - 18.8 FT+, 7 F
Yr3/4 - 22.5 FT+, 3.5 F
Yr4/4 - 20 FT+, 1 F
Yr5/4 - 14.3 FT, no F
Yr6/6 - 12.2 FT+, .7 F

Some interesting points:
- It looks like the newest dwarves are generally friendlier than the year before, already making some friends and meeting more dwarves.
- A year 3 dwarf knows 25 of the other 28, having 8 F and 17 FT.
- A year 2 dwarf has 11 F.
- One year 6 dwarf has 17 FT, while another has 5 FT.  Their enabled labors aren't significantly different.
- None of the three lover pairs have married yet
- The one married pair have no friends (they're year 5)
- There is one "Passing Acquaintance" pair in the entire fort.  Didn't think that was worth stats.

The previous year average stats:
The first seven dwarfs average 16.7 "friendly terms" or better, and 8.1 "friends" or better.
The year two dwarfs average 16.5 "friendly terms" or better, and 6.3 "friends".
The year three dwarfs average 18.5 "friendly terms" or better, and 2.3 "friends".
The year four dwarfs average 16.3 "friendly terms", with no "friends".
The year five dwarfs average 8.3 "friendly terms".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2017, 06:10:11 pm »

Make sure to check if any of the lover pairs have one or both members not interested in marriage with the relevant sex

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 11:28:10 pm »

Make sure to check if any of the lover pairs have one or both members not interested in marriage with the relevant sex

Is there a way to check this without using DFHack or Dwarf Therapist.  (Ie, in a vanilla install?)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 11:31:25 pm »

I am not sure, some experimenting would be done for sure, but one way to check might involve checking for arousal in a dwarf's reaction to poetry/singing. This only applies if the reaction actually takes into account dwarven sexuality, though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 03:52:03 am »

I'm not aware of any way to check either sexual orientation nor refusals to marry in vanilla. The personal traits that ought to indicate such things seem to be completely disconnected from the orientation things. Thus, it's not uncommon with dorfs who both dream of creating a family and at the same time refuse to marry (and complain about being away from family for too long).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 03:58:23 am »

I am not sure, some experimenting would be done for sure, but one way to check might involve checking for arousal in a dwarf's reaction to poetry/singing. This only applies if the reaction actually takes into account dwarven sexuality, though.

That's probably a LUST_PROPENSITY thing. Best test for attraction to sexes would be gaydar with DFHack.

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At the risk of doing a miniature necro, I think it's reasonable in this case: I have made a fort with low specialization, a single meeting area that is a dining room (no temple or tavern or anything else they could do instead of "No job"), and military training one month out of six. I tried to have plenty of idling time in-between doing things, but have made no special effort to get specific dwarves to interact. The fort had roughly 50-55 adult dwarves within two years of its creation; some of those did know each other to some extent from previous forts.

The fort has been running for 15 years and just had its first marriage. There are 3 other pairs of lovers that formed here, and a good number of other dwarves with 15+ friends.

It's taken some time, but I think it's decent results for making little special effort, especially considering it's a fort that's kinda-aboveground-but-not-really, so my dwarves did spend a good chunk of time building walls and floors. I'm operating on the hypothesis that dwarves that are busy praying and meditating aren't busy socializing, but I don't have a control fort to compare results with. Just thought the info might be relevant here.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.

This is anecdotal, but I had my only hetero couple marry within two months of arriving at my last fortress. They were basically idling by the wagon waiting on the miners to finish digging, and got hitched. Never had kids though (but a migrant couple had two before being incinerated by a caterpillar).

So it's not necessarily a tavern requirement as a meeting area. I also had a couple marriages occur in a large statue garden constructed to house artifact furniture, slabs,  and carvings of historical events. Relaxing dwarves liked wandering in there.

I don't allow visitors anymore since they're more a pain than a benefit right now. If I could evict them at will, maybe I'll start letting them in.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

(but a migrant couple had two before being incinerated by a caterpillar).

This game. This sodding bloody beautiful game.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: 1 2 [3]