Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What determines when you get attacked?  (Read 499 times)

DrJonez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What determines when you get attacked?
« on: September 08, 2007, 11:30:00 pm »

So, I've figured out or read up on the various situations that trigger various events in the game, but I can't seem to find out anything about what determines when you're attacked.

What I mean is, for instance, what conditions have to be met before the game will throw your first siege at you? What about when it starts sending kobolds and baby thieves? And what about when things start coming out of the river or chasm? I've played probably 10 fortresses at least, never gotten more than 30 dwarves or so, but I've only ever once seen enemies come out of the well, and never from the river or chasm. Yet I thought drinking/fishing from the river was supposed to provoke attacks?

You can see why I'm confused  :)

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What determines when you get attacked?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »

Political map: Like 'terrifying'.

The value of your fortress.

Thats all I know.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 11:49:00 pm »

You need the mayor or the trade minister to get goblin sieges, maybe both (wiki says only 1, but I've never gotten a siege till I had both). More valuable fortress seems to trigger them more, and bigger.

River and lava attacks seem pretty random and rare to me. I've had 2 river attacks and 3 lava attacks in the ~12 years of my current fort. drinking from the river makes river attacks more likely, as does drinking from wells (they will jump out from the well).

Chasm attacks - small groups seem to be rarely and randomly triggered. chasming large amounts of things seems to trigger a large attack within a year or so. I've seen over 100 ratmen at a time after chasming like 400 things.

kobold thieves and goblin snatchers seem to be triggered by caravans arriving, I get 2 or 3 of them every time a caravan shows up. They are pretty pathetic and run from any military unit, the caravan guards usually mash them for me.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 11:49:00 pm »

Wiki says you need a mayor to get sieges. Other stuff? not so sure.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:10:00 am »

In an older version (from around Christmas) I used to get attacked from the river and wells fairly regularly (mainly lizardmen) but then I got the current version and I think in total since then I've seen about 2 Injured Croc's from the river.