Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding a Magma Pipe.  (Read 2189 times)

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding a Magma Pipe.
« on: January 13, 2010, 10:37:51 am »

I picked a terrain that said it had one but I haven't for the life of me been able to find that magma pipe I really want to give magma smithing a try :( Any suggestions on how I can find it ? Ive tryed digging under the red ^ that I found. but so far no luck..
On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a Magma Pipe.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:44:48 am »

You could use the site finder or go into your init options and set [SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS] or [SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:ALWAYS].

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:46:39 am »

I picked a terrain that said it had one but I haven't for the life of me been able to find that magma pipe I really want to give magma smithing a try :( Any suggestions on how I can find it ? Ive tryed digging under the red ^ that I found. but so far no luck..
I take it that you noted that the "fourth square across in the fifth row down" was a ^ and still you didn't find anything when looking in the equivalent position?  Sounds like it should have worked.

You may have miscounted, or not done that.  In which case if there aren't any visible signs on the surface (a hot pipe close to the surface often makes grass go brown and dead-looking in an otherwise healthy landscape, gives you bare rocky ground in a contrast to the surroundings, or melts snowfall if your local climate provides any) then the best bet is usually to dig down the centre (or possibly by working in a grid at the bottom-most level) of all the 'squares' of your terrain.  Which I think are supposed to be 48x48, but I forget.  Then you should either break into the pipe (when working from above) or encounter the hot rock.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:31:43 am »

Don't bother learning how to find them.

In a few weeks there will be a new version of DF and magma pipes will be obselete.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:40:13 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:21:18 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:44:44 am »

In a few weeks there will be a new version of DF and magma pipes will be obselete.

huh? Magma pipes are still in, maybe a bit changed, but they are still going to be there. Magma pools I'm not so sure about.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:45:03 am »

Yeah, but what's he going to do during the few weeks till a new version? Might as well give it a shot.

If you're willing to, you could always try reveal.exe to show what all tiles on the map are. That'll reveal the magma pipe.
[/quote

Could go for a walk, take up cycling, play FFVII, go on holiday in spain, start writing a novel, or maybe read about half this thread http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30026.0
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

tigger89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 05:48:07 pm »

What's going to change with the magma?  :o

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 05:53:46 pm »

The physics of it and stuff won't change, its just that with the caverns, we are almost always guaranteed access to magma, but it won't always be as easily accessable as magma pipes are.

Think of it as bieng able to tap into the mantle of the planet, but you have to fight some stuff and establish a base down there. It isn't suppoused to be hard to get to, just have to work for it.