Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF Performance on new AMD processors  (Read 2985 times)

Lord OOTFD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Performance on new AMD processors
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 11:15:00 pm »

Yeah I should be getting 60ish FPS, What other hardware do you have?

Does anyone know where there's a 40d16 save with about 80 dwarves? I'd like to see if I'm running so slow due to a very old fortres or if it's something else.

I'm not going to be overclocking right now, but once I have a better Heatsink and a better understanding of how to make my processor not melt I probably will be doing so. I've heard of this processor going up to 4.2 Ghz on air with stability which is one of the reasons I got this one. for most things it's only about 20% below the i7 if overclocked. (amusingly the benchmark  I saw had it hugely outperforming the i7 on file compression but I digress.)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 11:23:24 pm »

I've got a 965 at 3.4 ghz on a pretty good motherboard.
Hey, someone with actual information, awesome!  Perhaps you two should trade forts and see if it's a configuration problem or a fortress problem.  The particular conditions of a fortress can significantly affect framerate; I frequently see factor of two changes in performance between equally-large forts.

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 12:03:27 am »

<instruction sets>

While I'm reasonably certain about the truth of the above, I probably butchered the terminology somewhere...  But I digress..

You're pretty much completely wrong. The core instruction set, x86, is pretty much completely unchanged since the 80386 was released in 1985, and all PC CPUs, Intel or AMD, use identical implementations. Now, both Intel and AMD have introduced many extensions over the years, such as SSE/SSE2/SS3/etc, x86-64 (64-bit support), and while not every CPU model implements every single one of them, pretty much all of them are licensed to both companies, and there's not any sort of 'emulation' going on that makes AMD implementations of Intel extensions (or vice-versa) necessarily worse (they may even be better). Furthermore, the differences in implementations shouldn't affect DF performance at all -aside from 64-bit support, they're pretty much all focused on intensive floating point calculations, of which DF is doing few, if any.

There certainly will be differences in the performance of DF on different CPU architectures, but that will be decided not by what machine Toady uses to compile it, but by the particular strengths and weaknesses of that architecture and how they align with with what DF actually does. The only way to determine that would be scientifically measuring it, benchmarking the performance accurately on the different CPUs.
Pages: 1 [2]