Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Terragen + New Map Export Options  (Read 25762 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Terragen + New Map Export Options
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 03:42:13 pm »

It's not polite to discuss such things here =).

I don't see why piracy is such a taboo thing to speak about in public, unless the person(s) you are talking to happen to own a multi-million dollar company which loses business because of it. Hell, I could say that I own (counting ones long-deleted) over 100 pirated games (which I do), and the companies couldn't do anything to me because I'm anonymous. And I'm not stupid enough to give out my address in public.

Also, I'm pretty sure I sent a PM to IWM, I think. It's not showing up on the 'sent messages' part of 'my messages'.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 05:28:04 pm »

Nay, I'm just asking about the Torrent hypothetical of acquiring things, because everyone said it would be bad for mah system. It would be bad!!!

Hypothetically I would use a torrent tracker website that has user ratings of the downloads, such as www.isohunt.com.  If you want to be super careful, check the rating and the comments on the torrent download link to see if anyone encountered a virus.  I recently had a nasty run in while trying to avoid a torrent hypothetical download.  FireFox is dead in the water for some reason.  I've been having other minor issues with Windows recently and the machine is over 3.5 years old, so if reinstalling !!Fox!! doesn't work I'll be reinstalling Windows.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 05:32:09 pm »

Hypothetically I would use a torrent tracker website that has user ratings of the downloads, such as www.isohunt.com.  If you want to be super careful, check the rating and the comments on the torrent download link to see if anyone encountered a virus.  I recently had a nasty run in while trying to avoid a torrent hypothetical download.  FireFox is dead in the water for some reason.  I've been having other minor issues with Windows recently and the machine is over 3.5 years old, so if reinstalling !!Fox!! doesn't work I'll be reinstalling Windows.

www.demonoid.com Is the best tracker, because they actually moderate their torrents instead of it being a cesspool of viruses. Just the other day a torrent that ended up being a huge system fryer was deleted about 3 minutes after it was submitted. Great moderation.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 06:13:12 pm »

I'm not sure why this "hypothetical" discussion has arisen here.

When I clicked on the Terragen link in the first post, and went to the "download for Windows" section, I saw this:

Terragen is free for personal non-commercial use. In this case registration is optional, but it entitles you to additional benefits and removes the restriction on image size.

PS: shhh!  You never know who will be listening...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:16:43 pm by pickupsticks »

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 08:07:26 pm »

Here's a render I did looking west from my current fort. The largest human civ with about 35 cities to the right of the ocean, straight ahead, on top of the closest mountain is a goblin nation, to the left in the bumpy parts live the elves that didn't get killed by the humans.

Cool program btw, free alternative to maya and you can set your boundaries and skybox effortlessly, compared to most height-map editors. I used to use old 0.1 terragen for GTK radiant, glad to see they got a little less constricted.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:52:47 am by Dasqoot »

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 06:53:21 am »

Cool image, Dasqoot.

Yeah, I can use Maya to look at the height map, but if you want to render it out it takes a lot of tweaking to get it looking realistic, plus you usually need a plane with thousands of subdivisions to get it looking anywhere as detailed as a program like Terragen.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

Hey Davion, do you know how to import something like the vegetation map from DF into Terragen? I read the guide, and downloaded a separate addon that was supposed to let me use textures in the freeware version, it was the right version of both, but I got a message on startup that "Terragen will not be using xxxxx-program".

I basically want to export all the options from DF and use them as alpha layers to control the look of vegetation and clouds.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 07:48:11 pm »

Does anyone know of a program I can use to turn it into a 24-Bit Uncompressed TGA? Gimp can't seem to do it, I can turn it into a TGA but Terragen won't take it.
Shoes...

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 08:03:11 pm »

Hey Davion, do you know how to import something like the vegetation map from DF into Terragen? I read the guide, and downloaded a separate addon that was supposed to let me use textures in the freeware version, it was the right version of both, but I got a message on startup that "Terragen will not be using xxxxx-program".

I basically want to export all the options from DF and use them as alpha layers to control the look of vegetation and clouds.

I am not really sure, I was trying to play with vegetation awhile back, but I couldn't find any way to import a fractal to generate where vegetation was. It will let you import textures but that doesn't really manage where stuff should be growing.

I've just sort of been eyeballing it.

Does anyone know of a program I can use to turn it into a 24-Bit Uncompressed TGA? Gimp can't seem to do it, I can turn it into a TGA but Terragen won't take it.

Maybe this

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 08:18:15 pm »

Epic Engrish in there.  I'm not going to get viruses from it am I?
Shoes...

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 08:32:11 pm »

I have no idea I was too scared to download it

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 08:35:33 pm »

Virus or not, don't use it.  It places a huge rectangle on like a quarter of the image, that says it was made in the trial version.  You render the terrain and there's a mile-high wall in the middle of the map.
Shoes...

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 08:41:21 pm »

I figured it was a trial version, seems like you can't get file converters without paying out the ass first.

Angellus

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 03:10:05 pm »

I'm not sure why this "hypothetical" discussion has arisen here.

When I clicked on the Terragen link in the first post, and went to the "download for Windows" section, I saw this:

Terragen is free for personal non-commercial use. In this case registration is optional, but it entitles you to additional benefits and removes the restriction on image size.

PS: shhh!  You never know who will be listening...
what he said.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 11:11:14 am »

Gimp can't do the 24-bit uncompressed tga, but it can do the 8-bit sgi that Terragen also accepts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5