Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Terragen + New Map Export Options  (Read 25890 times)

Blue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Terragen + New Map Export Options
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 08:50:30 am »

Is there any way to export the heightmap from DF without all the blue waterways crossing it?

Angellus

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2009, 09:15:27 am »

Go for it.

Terragen 2 looks amazing from the screenshots.
Woa, I'm downing the shizzle now ^^

Angellus

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2009, 09:28:06 am »

Go for it.

Terragen 2 looks amazing from the screenshots.
Woa, I'm downing the shizzle now ^^
Ok, importing seems to be only going to add terrain and then add heightmap (load file) and just select .bmp in the lower selection field.

I am currently trying out the generate stuff and movemens/colors etcetera.
Also, I needed not to resize my 2000x2000 heightmap!

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2009, 10:00:57 pm »

Now if I did have the full version of terragen, and chose to render a df heightmap in it, it would probably look something like this (rough sketch in paint)

It took like 2 hours to render (in paint).  My next one is looking very promising.

:edit: 2nd render, the mountains look nice, but I want to work on getting rid of that "stair" look.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:42:41 pm by Sir Finkus »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 12:57:27 am »

Is there any way to export the heightmap from DF without all the blue waterways crossing it?

Yes.  There are two export options on heightmaps, one respects water height, the other does not.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 08:38:27 am »

As a preliminary to me doing the TG2 thing, I'll just note that the best way is to wrap to the sphere. I have to find some settings that make this look really really good, still, but effectively you'll need a heightmap load -> heightmap resize -> heightmap adjust vertical. The last of these will proceed to wrap it to the sphere. It also allows you to change the epicness of the vertical range, and the displacement.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 05:29:46 pm »

As a preliminary to me doing the TG2 thing, I'll just note that the best way is to wrap to the sphere. I have to find some settings that make this look really really good, still, but effectively you'll need a heightmap load -> heightmap resize -> heightmap adjust vertical. The last of these will proceed to wrap it to the sphere. It also allows you to change the epicness of the vertical range, and the displacement.

Do you happen to know if there is a way to get the exact elevation of a point in df?  It'd be nice to be able to have everything perfectly accurate scale-wise.

:edit: and just to be thorough, anyone know roughly how large a df map is by default?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:34:19 am by Sir Finkus »

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2009, 01:01:35 pm »

Do you happen to know if there is a way to get the exact elevation of a point in df?  It'd be nice to be able to have everything perfectly accurate scale-wise.

:edit: and just to be thorough, anyone know roughly how large a df map is by default?

Unfortunately the actual elevation seems to be a bit iffy when exporting to TG2. Just gotta try to rule-of-thumb it. As for how large a map in DF is, a Large map is 1/8 of a planet's surface.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2009, 10:44:02 pm »

I'm currently finalising a pdf document which is a guide on how to use Terragen2 for these purposes.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 09:00:30 am »

This is a sample of what I'm putting in the guide. The clouds here suck pretty bad, though, and I'm going to redo the section. Still, this is not bad for a preview.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2009, 09:21:02 am »

Looks awesome.

Just noticed there's a sample of vegetation on the Terragen 2 website, so I'm going to try that out and see how it looks as well.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2009, 05:21:04 pm »

Very nice.  I look forward to the guide.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2009, 09:43:29 pm »

some teasers that I made whilst doing the guide:

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2009, 10:49:08 pm »

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2009, 09:35:49 am »

Anybody interested in a free, lightweight image converter

here's the one I use.  It's a bit quicker to start up than a full-featured program like Paint.Net, and has loads of file compatabilities and quality levels.  If I ever post screenshots, know that they were saved and compressed in XnView.

As far as Terragen, you could say I have some experience...

(Terragen 2 is a little harder to work with, partly because I don't have a computer that breathes fire and makes the Monolith from 2001 look obsolete.)

(Also, it really is time for me to make some more wallpapers, all the ones I have are over a year old.)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:37:38 am by Volfram »
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5