Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Terragen + New Map Export Options  (Read 25875 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Terragen + New Map Export Options
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2009, 10:36:06 pm »

Sure would love to see some feedback...
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2009, 07:47:06 am »

Great tutorial.

I was playing around with it the other night, but I don't have any screenshots yet, Now that it is my weekend I'll see what I can do. ;)

Angellus

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2009, 02:50:52 pm »

Sure would love to see some feedback...
Lovely guide, although I personally got stuck very early:

When I zoom out I do not get the sphere you have at a certain moment, could you help me with this?

Also, the sqr.root(diameter of planet/*) is rather... hard to decipher.
Where can I find this diameter? Should I have selected somewhere that I wanted a planet?

Here is a screenshot of the problem:

Thanks for the tutorial :)
Hopefully you'll want to help me with this problem.

greetings,

Nicolas.

EDIT:
The low values were a test I did, with the higher value's it did not make any difference.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:53:39 pm by Angellus »

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2009, 10:11:41 pm »

the radius of the planet can be located by double clicking on Planet 01.
All the nodes should tend to lead there anyway.
I increased the size of the planet to compensate for the weird horizon curvature that you'd get without doing so.

That particular formula is about finding the resize dimensions to make the amount of land correct, given the size of the planet.

Angellus

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2009, 03:11:23 am »

the radius of the planet can be located by double clicking on Planet 01.
All the nodes should tend to lead there anyway.
I increased the size of the planet to compensate for the weird horizon curvature that you'd get without doing so.

That particular formula is about finding the resize dimensions to make the amount of land correct, given the size of the planet.
Thanks, I'll try it out soon. Maybe I can find more hard to understand things and you could make a version 1.1 with changes?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2009, 03:20:24 am »

Sure.

Angellus

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2009, 07:45:30 am »

Ok, I'm working on this right now and was thinking, maybe you could add small windows to the pdf in the corners, explaining how you do stuff like finding the planet radius or inverting your picture (I did it in paint, with the negative command) in step-by-step method.

Angellus

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2009, 03:01:38 pm »

Ok, I'm working on this right now and was thinking, maybe you could add small windows to the pdf in the corners, explaining how you do stuff like finding the planet radius or inverting your picture (I did it in paint, with the negative command) in step-by-step method.
Ok, I'm going to put this on hold for now, I'll try this with Vue, I have experience with that program, so it might go better that way.
sorry mayday.

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
  • You do the voodoo that you do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2009, 02:13:26 pm »

Does anyone know of a program I can use to turn it into a 24-Bit Uncompressed TGA? Gimp can't seem to do it, I can turn it into a TGA but Terragen won't take it.

Gimp can't do the 24-bit uncompressed tga, but it can do the 8-bit sgi that Terragen also accepts.

Granted, this may just be a feature in the 64-bit version of Gimp, but that's exactly how I got a 24-bit uncompressed TGA file. Gimp. I just scaled the image to 513*513, then when I went to save it, I changed the file format to the readily available TGA, and when it asked if I wanted to compress it, I said no. And that's that.
The voodoo that I do in this case is run down children with a helicopter, swinging away at them with a gigantic ball menacing with spikes of magnetite.

"And you can get moose silk naturally or through a botched smelter reaction." - Kagus

"Dwarf Fortress: Using waterwheels to power your pumps to power the waterwheels." - kernel

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2009, 05:48:55 pm »

(Terragen 2 is a little harder to work with, partly because I don't have a computer that breathes fire and makes the Monolith from 2001 look obsolete.)

(Also, it really is time for me to make some more wallpapers, all the ones I have are over a year old.)

Hey, I own that thing, it has no screen.
okay, I downloaded this thing, but I can't even generate the simple stuff(peaks that go up forever)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:28:20 pm by jaked122 »

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2009, 07:04:40 pm »

TG 1 or 2?

1 is easier to work with.  I can give you a tutorial that'll have you generating terrain images in 2 minutes from running the program to saving the rendered image.  Probably 15-30 minutes for some of the prettier stuff I've done.

For 2, you'll probably want to read the Captain's tutorial.(I'll be doing that, too.)
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2010, 09:00:57 pm »

I'd love a new tutorial that's a bit more clear and for the updated version of Terragen 2. I tried to follow it best I could, but I got really mixed up at the resize portion...nothing was looking like I expected it to
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]