Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39e Released  (Read 19411 times)

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39e Released
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 12:32:57 pm »

I'm using the Mac version and I have a question. Will I be able to use my 0.27.176.38c saved world and fortress in this version?

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 12:40:06 pm »

I was able to use mine. But it did have a brief afternoon stop in 39d-land, so YMMV.
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 01:48:05 pm »

Thanks for the new fix again, Toady! And the nice list of what's coming next. =D
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 01:53:19 pm »

But could I continue my fortress? And also what is knew in 0.28.181.39?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 02:59:38 pm »

Holy crap! Is there going to be a 39 f?

I'm not even going to bother getting a new version (I'm still on 39b) until I know for sure another ones not coming out the next day.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 03:03:49 pm »

If there is(which I doubt), it won't be done until probably the 3rd of August(Pure guess).

But again, it looks like Toady's moving on to the next stage, when he gets back to DF in August.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 06:11:12 pm »

Yes, 39d was going to be the final one for a while but Toady wanted to make a few quick bug fixes, hence this release.

Also, hooray!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 06:20:01 pm »

Toady rules!

New version out ... bugs fixed ... plenty of coffee stockpiled ... haven't played in months ... GF out of town for 2 days ... the stars are aligned ... I feel a Dwarf Fortress Marathon coming on!

See you in 48 hours ...
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 06:54:03 pm »

Perhaps we're moving towards something like Starflight's generated diversity of wildlife, which was truly awe-inspiring for existing entirely on two 5.25" floppies that contained some 800 planets.  Soon we'll have dwarven spaceships exploring other players' worlds.  :-D

You don't have a copy of that available anywhere do you?
I had it for the C=64, one of the few games i actually bought, and at the time was dissapointed with the grafix ?(they put pictures of the amiga version on the box) It did keep me occupied with exploring the vast galaxy and interesting planet topography for quite a while though.
Never found out what those spheres were, i got stuck halfway the quest.
antipiracy checks were also very annoying I remember...wootwoot this is the police look up line # on page ## of the manual or be discontinued.

anyhow.
good grief Toady!
I just dled D this morning, get back from work and fird already a new version!
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 07:29:19 pm »

The C64 had a manual lookup?  My DOS Starflight had a code-wheel.  The animals were awesome in Starflight.  I think I've said this before, but TT and I had notebooks full of drawings, and we made sure to win the game as quickly as possible to preserve as many planets as we could before they were killed off, so that we could document all the critters.  It was just a general shape + about 10 randomized word/phrase choices, but it was enough to make it interesting.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Anu Necunoscut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 08:38:31 pm »

Perhaps we're moving towards something like Starflight's generated diversity of wildlife, which was truly awe-inspiring for existing entirely on two 5.25" floppies that contained some 800 planets.  Soon we'll have dwarven spaceships exploring other players' worlds.  :-D

You don't have a copy of that available anywhere do you?
I had it for the C=64, one of the few games i actually bought, and at the time was dissapointed with the grafix ?(they put pictures of the amiga version on the box) It did keep me occupied with exploring the vast galaxy and interesting planet topography for quite a while though.
Never found out what those spheres were, i got stuck halfway the quest.
antipiracy checks were also very annoying I remember...wootwoot this is the police look up line # on page ## of the manual or be discontinued.

anyhow.
good grief Toady!
I just dled D this morning, get back from work and fird already a new version!

I love the crap out of Starflight (and its sequel), and evangelize it at every opportunity.  You can get both disks here to replace your lost ones, along with a codewheel generator and starmap.

The C64 had a manual lookup?  My DOS Starflight had a code-wheel.  The animals were awesome in Starflight.  I think I've said this before, but TT and I had notebooks full of drawings, and we made sure to win the game as quickly as possible to preserve as many planets as we could before they were killed off, so that we could document all the critters.  It was just a general shape + about 10 randomized word/phrase choices, but it was enough to make it interesting.

I was not surprised at all when I found out you were a fan!  I discovered the game only a few years ago, and found it extremely compelling.  It's true a lot of the mechanics were more or less simple from a programming perspective, but they were presented in such a smart and elegant way given the hardware limitations of the time.  It's what I really miss in today's games, as most of their processing and production budget is used up for drawing pretty triangles.  In that sense finding DF was really heartening, as it recalls Starflight's fabulous focus on freedom,  procedural generation and gameworld history.  It's great to see some of those techniques re-imagined to make use of modern processing power.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:40:45 pm by Anu Necunoscut »

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 08:57:38 pm »

Still completely off topic, but...

For those who enjoyed, Starflight, a very similar new free tribute game should soon be available:
http://starflightgame.com/wordpress/

Also, if you enjoyed Starflight but never had the privilege to play Star Control 2 after that, you owe it to yourself to try it. There's a ported and remastered version available called "The Ur-Quan Masters" (they had the right to use the source code and resources, just not the name):
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 09:10:12 pm »

I wonder if that new one does the lifeforms properly.  They eviscerated it down to ~30 preset lifeforms in Starflight 2, which was one of the great early tragedies of my game-playing experience.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 09:40:11 pm »

So yes, Toady, the game will have completely randomly generated creatures?

Because that would be awesome.

MrSmiley381

• Escaped Lunatic
  • /wooo/kie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 10:17:08 pm »

Crazy, Toady!  I just started playing D today, only to find E now!  I'll be donating soon.  You'll know it's me when you see it.

Also, I'm glad to see other Starflight fans here!  I have the Genesis version.  I prefer it just because I like console games a bit more.  I'd love to see someone with Linux on a PS3 running DF.  I would crap my pants.
/wooo/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4