Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39e Released  (Read 19410 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39e Released
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 10:23:41 pm »

Yeah, random stuff has always been on the back-burner, but it's sort of where I started with Armok 1, and I didn't want to get totally caught up in the stock stuff I've been putting in the raws.  That stuff will still be there, since it's important to have a familiar starting point, and some people prefer it, but I also want it to be able to function solely on random stuff as well.  It would take some easing in and presentation of lore and so on, even in the case where there's a single random creature, so it's not just like "The Golden Jorgagis has come!" when you are playing dwarf mode and you're like "uh...  what?", but I'd like to give it a shot anyway.  The appearance variables on the list are one of the things that's supposed to help mitigate these issues, and various other stuff...  it's a project anyway.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 07:44:04 am »

Hrm can't resist mentioning another tribute to Starflight. Guy I know from another forums has been working on recreating Starflight in a game creation system called MegaZeux. Doubt he'll finish anytime soon. More likely Dwarf Fortress will hit 1.0 first.

http://www.digitalmzx.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1387

MegaZeux was originally DOS. Got open sourced. And is now getting ported faster than people can flood their fortresses to a number of platforms (including some of the newer ones like PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS, Wii, etc).

Back on topic a bit, I like the sounds of making random creatures, plants, etc. Certainly adds more to the game like requiring experimentation to determine if something is edible, beneficial, etc. Almost like researching only without the boring-wait-for-enough-points-to-finish systems most modern games have.

Throw in random concoctions by allowing combining of multiple materials to produce various substances and you've got yourself a random tech tree. Something else I'd like to see in modern games.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:49:08 am by Frobozz »

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 02:07:52 pm »

Hm... I can see how this will be fun.  You could start digging down and find a unique rock...

You found a rock previously unknown to dwarf kind.

It's a [SHINY/DULL/ETC] [INSERT COLOR] rock with [INSERT COLOR/S] [SPECKLES/BANDS/ETC].  The string generation would be identical to artifact, except all with descriptors.  Maybe a new skill, "Prospector" under Mining profession, which uses an office and can identify the property of the stone (or the task could belong to an Alchemist in an Alchemic Workshop).  Seeing the raw file, the new stones/gems could be determined at start up and simply treated as just another stone (but maybe with a tag that mark its property as hidden).  Same thing could be done with plants.  Even underground pockets of creature or vermins previously unknown (maybe one that only attack brain).

Discovered an odd space in the rock.
Urist McMiner has died:  Brain consumed.

Now I'm getting REALLY excited.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 05:44:52 pm »

It might be cool if we got to name the new stuff we discover :D

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 07:07:35 am »

Holy Zombified Spork! I dissapear for a month and I get hit by:

1. The forum. Wow, I feel right at home here. *Looks for Nist Akath* ZOMG ITS HERE! YAY! ... *Looks at own sig* Hmf, one letter got cut off. Meh.

2. 5 or so different releases... that blew me away as I remember checking every week during the hiatus of updates of (was it?) last year.  :o

3. Extreme guilt and nostalgia of forgetting DF. Then again, my comp got fried so... still, Hurray!

I wonder what this button does...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm so happy!  ;D

*Starts running around very happily*

[Edit] Looks like I still need to work in the sig though  :)
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Skiv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 09:18:21 am »

I am unable to remove the workshops in the upper right most part of the map. 3 Crawtsdwarfs 1 mason and 1 bowyer. And i am unable to remove the 2 carpenter shops betwen the wood stockpile, anyone help? :P
Using version 0.28.181.39e

Link to save http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=349 Its only 6MB could anyone help

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2008, 03:16:58 pm »

I am unable to remove the workshops in the upper right most part of the map. 3 Crawtsdwarfs 1 mason and 1 bowyer. And i am unable to remove the 2 carpenter shops betwen the wood stockpile, anyone help? :P
Using version 0.28.181.39e

Link to save http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=349 Its only 6MB could anyone help

Post it in the bugs subforum?  ::)

Skiv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2008, 05:50:11 pm »

i could, but i though thast i would post it here, so Toady would check it faster etc. ya know :/

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2008, 07:22:09 am »

i could, but i though thast i would post it here, so Toady would check it faster etc. ya know :/

Actually I think that Toady is the most active in the bugs subforum.  ;)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2008, 01:19:52 am »

Hey toady, great work with the patches, but you should split your announcement post list into bug fixes and new features! I keep missing all the cool new stuff like lever notes! :)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 06:45:31 am »

Thanks on the Starflight links etc. this might be fun.

I had forgotten it was a disk that had the code... the manual lookup was more from the games starcontrol 2 and elite frontier.

finally a good reason to replace my dead 1541.
or try that c64-pc datacable I manufactured years ago...risk of blowing up PC. :/

also again: woot! updates galore!
randomised stuff sounds like a great ambition...one where many mainstream games fail.

edit: I DL-ed various old-time favorites from theunderdogs, to my shame I find little patience remaining in me for the games that, i now realise, had become idealised in my mind. Still they did grab my attention at the time for being as close as they could get at the time to the greatest games ever.
Maybe I should get an Amiga emulator and DL games available for that platform. I remember the games I played on that looked, sounded and played way better than the versions for DOS. Heh even C64 versions sometimes worked better. ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:52:56 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

David Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 11:10:25 am »

so I'm login into my account thinking 'huh.. maybe theres something new...' and you already released 2 new versions! 0_0 ur fast! Thanks for new bug fixes Toady  ;D

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 03:41:29 pm »

finally a good reason to replace my dead 1541.

Now there's a number that fills me with nostalgia and rage all at the same time  =->
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 05:20:24 pm »

Bug #41, trying to trade caged animals leads to the animal being released--This is annoying! I really want to try selling exotic captured creatures! Especially once the caravan arc gets put in. I can imagine a wealthy human ruler with some exotic caged fire imps or giant olms in his/her zoo, imported from a player's fort many years ago.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 01:24:14 am »

Hah! Hah hah! Silly me never thought there will be so much updates since my last visit! Seems like I always forget that this game's development differs a bit from what EA and the likes do with their projects...

Ahem, anyhow - whoa. I re-discovered DF in late May, and even posted once on this forums that time. And I checked things for a bit through May and June. Then I miraculously managed to stop with DF until few days ago...and now I come here and see that 38c is long obsolete. Whoa.
I just quickly read "ver. 39X" topics and must say as many before - great job, Toady One. I did not even try these versions but just seeing someone put so much effort... 
Anyway - I am off to try 39e. Thank you very much.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4