Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Transplant updating utility  (Read 6959 times)

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Transplant updating utility
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:12:23 am »

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let people know that I've been writing a .Net application to transfer your settings from an old installation to a new installation of Dwarf Fortress.  Yes, I know one already exists, and my entire reasoning to write my own (other than I enjoy it) is that I don't want to install python :P

Just wanted to know if others would be interested in using it; I'm writing it regardless but if anyone finds it useful I'll post it later (at work right now, just want to get a feel if anyone would like it).

Currently it can do a few things, and I plan to add more on of course.
  • Copy over init.txt variables.  It takes into account that new versions may have new variables, so don't worry about losing functionality.  Don't worry about copying over discontinued variables either.
  • Copy over world_gen.txt parameter sets.  You can tell it to overwrite or append.  Might refine this later to detect and remove duplicates.
  • Copy over \data\art files.
  • Copy over \raw\graphics files.
  • Maybe something else, it was 4 AM at the time.

Future plans are also interface.txt transfer (I don't normally change binds, so that's why it's not done yet), a wizard to walk you through it, and save transfer.  No fancy "fetch latest version" stuff, not going to let you get that lazy.  Maybe a notifier to tell you that there are new init.txt variables.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:06:19 pm by Zwergner »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Transplant updating utility?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:09:00 am »

Well, I have python and .NET installed, so I guess I could use either of these.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:20:59 am »

Modbase does this, sorta. It doesn't mod (and therefore, doesn't carry over) worldgen parameters, and it doesn't (yet) mod graphics sets, but it does most of the rest flawlessy, plus quite a bit more. There're some technical problems with it though, from time to time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

baczek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:40:08 am »

partially OT, but I couldn't help myself.

1. consider learning python, since it's a great language
2. check out python for .net: IronPython
volve or face extinction

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 12:13:22 pm »

Blah blah blah... All you're getting is negativity so here's something positive.

I think what you're doing is a great idea; I considered doing something similar, but I figured if I just complained about it enough, Toady would put it in. :P

Something to add in is copying over of saved games.  Obviously, between major releases, this won't work well all the time, but it'd be nice to have for the small patches, like .38a to .38e.

I'll be a tester for you, if you'd like.

Hanuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:33:16 pm »

This sound like something worthwhile to me. I say put it out there. It can't hurt.

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:35:12 pm »

I'll put a bit more polish on it and release it when I get home ;D

I've used python a little bit (on another computer), but I've never seen a job posting in the video game industry (where I'd like to head) requiring python experience, so I haven't really given it much attention.

Almost all the postings I see require C++, or more recently some C#.  I've been doing this little program in C# (which I've used a bit more than python) while doing similar programs at work in VB, so I'm experimenting on using the same tools with a different language.  I may check it out a bit more one day.

Thanks for the feedback!

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Transplant updating utility
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 06:09:26 pm »

Sorry to double post, but wanted the bump to say that I uploaded version 1.0 to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot.  Any feedback, bug reports, or suggestions are appreciated.

Still need to put copying interface.txt in there...Want to do some rudimentary version checking, and that wizard thingy.  But it's still fairly useful in it's current state I think.  Only transfer to clean installs or backed up installs to prevent headaches please ;p Most options overwrite by default.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:35:39 pm »

After manually copying over my init settings, graphics, and so on four times since the last major release... I'm definitely going to look into using this in the future.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 07:08:13 pm »

Quote from: Zwergner
Maybe a notifier to tell you that there are new init.txt variables.
I would need this to be able to use the program. I like changing the defaults, so if there are new defaults, I would also like the chance to change them!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

pndrev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 06:37:25 am »

Sounds very good. Does this mean I can effectively install 39e and this tool will handle moving the Mayday graphic set over from 38c?

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 09:42:52 am »

Sounds very good. Does this mean I can effectively install 39e and this tool will handle moving the Mayday graphic set over from 38c?

That's actually exactly why I made it, Mike is too slow to update his pack and it's annoying to reconfigure manually :P  So, yes, it does mean that.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 10:51:12 am »

any chance someone could write one that doesn't need installing either .net or python but just works with the native files people have already? (yes I'm lazy)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

any chance someone could write one that doesn't need installing either .net or python but just works with the native files people have already? (yes I'm lazy)

If that's what people really really want, I am thinking about cutting some teeth into wxWidgets, which is not only independent of pre-installed frameworks but also platform independent.  Not making any promises though, I'd probably have to play around and see how easy it is to make pretty things in it.

It looks like they have a .Net wrapper though...wonder if I could port directly into it.  Doubt it, it's never that easy!  ;D

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 10:50:02 pm »

If that's what people really really want, I am thinking about cutting some teeth into wxWidgets, which is not only independent of pre-installed frameworks but also platform independent.  Not making any promises though, I'd probably have to play around and see how easy it is to make pretty things in it.

It looks like they have a .Net wrapper though...wonder if I could port directly into it.  Doubt it, it's never that easy!  ;D
wxWindows is unnecessary. Mono has System.Windows.Forms support.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235
Pages: [1] 2