Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 337090 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1095 on: December 19, 2008, 11:40:51 am »

1) Are you going to expand out the maximum number of reactions we can mod in?

What's limiting it now?  Something about screen real estate?  I'm not sure what you are referring to.

2) Are you going to modify the alloy reactions to make them more in line with real life in some way? For example, bronze is actually 10% tin and 90% copper.

It's planned, but only when the bars can handle it.  I don't want to introduce further stacking problems until stacking is handled.  There are various ways to deal with this special case (using workshop storage or however), but ideally the game would be able to handle general stacks of little metal bars so that your dwarves and adventurer can pitch them at people and make little treasure stores in their houses and dominos and stuff.  But coins are already enough trouble.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

B0013

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 19, 2008, 11:52:47 am »

How will the scars modify the combat text?
Will it be more detailed or the scars will only be visible in the descriptions?
>{) >(> })o)  Fishes!

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 19, 2008, 11:55:10 am »

I'm not really sure how to phrase this question except using graph terminology.

If we represent each body part as a vertex of a graph and each indication of proximity as an edge, can we have bodies with this that are not trees?  If wanted to make an upper body that was composed of four parts, a front, a back, and two sides, but all those parts were connected like the complete graph on four vertices, is there some way to do that using the AROUND:BY parts of the body detail raw?

Or, are bodies still represented as trees in structure, but there's now a second sort of ephemeral connection between them using that AROUND:BY stuff?  Kind of like "fuzzy" edges that don't supply any connection with the center?

Also, is AROUND:BY symmetric?  If the index finger has a strong degree of proximity to the thumb, does the thumb have a strong degree of proximity to the index finger?  Or, do we have to specify it in each case (which could lead to some strange effects if we start mixing up numbers)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:57:10 am by LumenPlacidum »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1098 on: December 19, 2008, 12:03:11 pm »

The uncertain holiday plans I mentioned last time have been cancelled due to snow-related unsafe driving conditions. I'll probably be working straight through the 23rd.
Too bad, man. I'm getting the same storm system and not one flake of snow.

CRANK A CARNIE'S CRACKPIPE! Female dwarves have no (official) beards!!

Code: [Select]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
The gender tag lets it know how breeding works.
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
To add beards, put square brackets around the following:
BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]

On a side note, one could make a third gender that is [FEMALE] but has a littersize tag, so that some dwarven women have few children, while others produce hordes. And that there are twice as many as there are males.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:24:09 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 19, 2008, 12:17:02 pm »

1) Are you going to expand out the maximum number of reactions we can mod in?

What's limiting it now?  Something about screen real estate?  I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Well, right now you can only add in 15 new reactions before it starts ignoring stuff at the top of the list. So if you add in a 16th, you can no longer make coke from bituminous coal.

2) Are you going to modify the alloy reactions to make them more in line with real life in some way? For example, bronze is actually 10% tin and 90% copper.

It's planned, but only when the bars can handle it.  I don't want to introduce further stacking problems until stacking is handled.  There are various ways to deal with this special case (using workshop storage or however), but ideally the game would be able to handle general stacks of little metal bars so that your dwarves and adventurer can pitch them at people and make little treasure stores in their houses and dominos and stuff.  But coins are already enough trouble.
[/quote]

Ok. Not a big deal right now, of course. And the idea of making metal dominos just makes me laugh. :)

Since I'm still thinking about metals, is there any plan to expand out the METAL_PREF tag in entities a bit more? By that I mean allowing us to change around the games assumptions on who gets to use what in the raws. Right now, if we don't have METAL_PREF the game says "Ah, we should use average materials for everything!" and if we have METAL_PREF it says "Use the best!". But a lot of my modded metals are in between iron and steel, and I'd like to have races that use them instead of either iron or steel, while keeping races that use iron, and others that use steel.

That might be too difficult right now, but it's on my wish list. :)

And that you so much for all these replies! We're getting a kick out of all the new stuff!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: December 19, 2008, 12:24:05 pm »

This is the new format for making specific unit names for a creature.  Any unit token can be used.

:D Does this mean we can rename any of the professions?

Code: [Select]
[PROFESSION_NAME:MINER:Digger:Diggers]
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 19, 2008, 12:27:17 pm »

Hmm.... What will the new version be called i wonder?

Also can some one just post a summary of what will be coming out next release.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: December 19, 2008, 12:35:09 pm »

On the dev log on the fourth he said:

250 worth of wounds and health care concerns, 29 on descriptions and some skill/att stuff, 65 on venom, 165 for map features, 260 for entity positions, 195 for squads, and 75 for random crap and tests. The squad and entity changes run together a bit as they both involve the military.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: December 19, 2008, 12:39:15 pm »

Dev_Next is probably the best summary we can give right now. Along with the dev notes themselves.

A lot of the specifics haven't been hammered out yet, so I'm not sure even Toady knows everything that's going to actually make it into the next release.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: December 19, 2008, 12:47:07 pm »

which reminds me

elves eat everything they kill

what happens when they wage war against a civ of magma-men ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: December 19, 2008, 12:52:24 pm »

On a side note, one could make a third gender that is [FEMALE] but has a littersize tag, so that some dwarven women have few children, while others produce hordes.
Catholic Dwarves....

Things I noticed:

Fillies vs Foals and correctly named.  Awesome.
Possibility for a race of critters that is either really really tall or really really short and very very few in between.
Job tags by gender.  AKA no more valkeries with babe in arms.  (See the above, and you could have 'butch' or 'liberated' women that don't breed (by choice) and still serve in the military. 

Questions:
Gender ratios:  What's the gradation on these?  for creatures with 2 sexes, a difference of as much as 1% can cause huge effects on the population balance

Thicknesses:  How much does this (skin thickness) actually matter in terms of combat?  Will there be things that daggers can't cut through?

Surrounds.  Right now, the cheeks 100 surround the teeth, but ribs 5 surround the heart.  What kind of scale do we have, and is it additive?  Does bludgeoning damage transfer?  (AKA is unlikely to do damage to skin or fat but will bruise muscle and break bone)  A knife is likely to cut the cheek but only scrape the teeth.  A hammer will bust a lip but shatter teeth.  Conversly a hammer will break ribs but not likely damage the heart but a knife will either bounce of ribs OR cut the heart.  Mostly how to just the 'surrounds' protection.

Looks like it's easy to make creatures grow as they get older.  Can we shrink them back down? (use negative values?)  Will it be possible to make dragons that get bigger and bigger for all time?

Job tags by caste:  How will the fort handle this?  A different jobs list depending on the dwarf? 

Caste Changes: I think you said this was impossible?  (So a dwarfette couldn't decide she was done fighting and settle down as above?)  Would it be possible to age change them?   (Dwarf chicks spend years 12-30 as breeders and won't fight but then stop breeding and go fight, or less sexist, Older dwarves decide they aren't going to carry stuff anymore but retire to work in the forge)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: December 19, 2008, 01:06:04 pm »

Whoa, the generic material templates ("wood," "stone") are in the raws now?  Does that mean we can add new material categories, like a "gloop" from which we can then create a specific "green gloop" or whatever?  The answer is pretty obviously yes, but damn that rules.

In the tissue raws, is MUSCULAR just to indicate a rippled texture?

I really like how you can load a material template and then override only specific aspects of it.  It's like CSS or something.

How close were you to giving plants actual body definitions?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 05:32:41 am by Footkerchief »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 19, 2008, 01:30:16 pm »

oooh,  and baby heads could get better proportioned.

And attractiveness should be the aggregate of how close your features are to average!

Edit: And it could explain how some critters are considered (by humans) to be 'prettier' than the average human.  Just have a lower variation centered at just north of human normal.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:36:18 pm by Granite26 »

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 19, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

Damn. I disagree with Granite26 on a lot. I think what is considered attractive should vary from culture to culture (which has some support in Power Goals as well - see "magical idiot peeper"). And I love the dwarven warriors carrying their babies into battle. I think male dwarves should do it too.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 19, 2008, 02:02:55 pm »

Yeah, attractiveness is a funny thing. I remember reading about some experiments, where in humans males are best if they are about average in 'maleness' characteristics (jawline, muscle mass, etc) after which it starts getting more brutish and less attractive. But female characteristics, especially facial ones, make women more attractive the farther along that spectrum they get. And then you have the cultural aspects, where in one culture fat is attractive and in another it's considered gross, and so on.

I guess for game purposes, it'd be useful to have it follow Granite's suggestion in general, but then have it pick some random set of characteristics which are considered specifically attractive for that civ. Things like long hair, wide-set eyes, height, or whatever. And let those specific characteristics be allowed to other then average. I'd probably have it pick different things for males and females, as well.

Which could have some interesting effects. For example, a human culture that really likes shorter women might find dwarves more attractive then other human civs do, which could in turn aid in diplomatic relations between the two.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 148