Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 336724 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1155 on: December 20, 2008, 05:16:24 pm »

So I was going to run in here and talk about how we can have plants made of meat now, but I realized from reading Toady's post that fingernails are a material now, meaning we can have fingernail golems.

I can't wait to create hideous abominations that defy biology, like something with blood made of bones.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1156 on: December 20, 2008, 05:52:08 pm »

...I can't wait to create hideous abominations that defy biology, like something with blood made of bones.

Or Vice Versa! Herm...
Actually, your Meat Tree idea is worth a shot, there.

And, of course, Blood Golems. Beings made entirely from blood, congealed blood, and bloody blood.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 20, 2008, 06:04:30 pm »

This might be too much, but separating central and peripheral nervous tissue might make sense, especially for things like pain and regeneration. I believe peripheral nervous system tissue can regenerate much, much more than something like the brain or spine, and certainly would have more pain reception.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 20, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »

Thanks toady for all the answers and the new raw system looks great

Can the tag [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER] be used for civs too?

Other thinks i found:

Nickel silver has an meltpoint beginning from 900° C and then upward depending on the alloy says the wiki (German)

Sterlingsilver (925) has an meltpoint of arround 890°C (found here)

I am not sure but if you look here in the wiki you can math out the smeltpoints and maybe the boilpoints of your alloys.

edit: deleted
edit2: i had an mayor failure somewhere.

For the "steel man" - Problem the us military has tested "spears" from cooper on highspeed against plates of 1 Meter steelplates. Well we have not this things (that get really hot) but we can use an ballista bolts from steel.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:46:50 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 20, 2008, 07:09:53 pm »

That's now.

But in the upcoming versions where creature strength is determined by the strength of what they are made by...

Maybe a very, very big hammer.
So we get men made of things. We get Guts-Man, Ice-Man, Fire-Man, Axe-Man, Alcohol-Man...

We obviously need to create a man made of Mega and send him after them!

On topic, if there is any... Steel men should be no problem with weaker weapons as long as they are blunt force, and even sharp weapons may produce cracks//cuts if they are swung with enough force (and don't break)

Worse come to worse, <<Steel Cage>> Traps, siege their asses or atom-smash them.

Granted you're fucked if you come into contact with the legendary *<<Steel Man>>* (If I did the quality thing right >.>)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 20, 2008, 07:15:14 pm »

I can't wait to create hideous abominations that defy biology, like something with blood made of bones.

Creatures with slime blood for me.  Or maybe a Sweet Pod Man that bleeds dwarven syrup.

Huh, I just noticed blood is only present in the new raws as a material template... are the "blood types" still hardcoded?

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #1161 on: December 20, 2008, 07:39:41 pm »

Hmmm... Gaseous blood...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 20, 2008, 08:15:19 pm »

Creatures with slime blood for me.  Or maybe a Sweet Pod Man that bleeds dwarven syrup.

Huh, I just noticed blood is only present in the new raws as a material template... are the "blood types" still hardcoded?
Slime blooded creatures?
Will these creatures have actual creatures for blood? So when you make them bleed// kill them and they bleed out, you have a mass of slimes attack the dwarves?
Maybe you could make creatures that have slime for hair, or skin, that attack the dwarves along with the original creature design.

Of course that would eventually detail to the horrible siege of a fortress from a Slime Titan, built entirely out of slimes. Instead of coding it to spawn slimes when damaged, it is made entirely out of slime entities, adding extra damage and produces smaller slimes when bleeding//cut up.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 20, 2008, 08:30:51 pm »

Will these creatures have actual creatures for blood? So when you make them bleed// kill them and they bleed out, you have a mass of slimes attack the dwarves?

I don't think that anything like that will be possible to mod in..at least not in the next version.  ;)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 20, 2008, 08:44:55 pm »

I think Toady did forget it on the dwarves - it happens. The slime is there as well  ;) . And well "blood" is an "template" so changing it for your creatures so they bleed "slime" would be done by only altering the Color and the nametags iirc. Its the same thing as between the "metaltemplate" and the metals.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:50:32 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 21, 2008, 12:18:34 am »

^^^ If you're right that the blood-related stuff was simply omitted, then yeah, it would be that easy.

Unrelated: when you're overriding parts of a material template, is there any way to remove tags entirely?  Like if you wanted a special milk that's not [EDIBLE_RAW].  I know this isn't really a problem since you can always just suck it up and do a custom material definition from scratch.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 21, 2008, 03:32:02 am »

I've not looked at the new raws yet, but surely, this brings me a step closer to my goal of one day being able to milk and skin the philosopher.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 21, 2008, 03:38:23 am »

I've not looked at the new raws yet, but surely, this brings me a step closer to my goal of one day being able to milk and skin the philosopher.
Or, as this issue will crop up, milking skin from the philosopher.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 21, 2008, 05:29:51 am »

I could really use some sort of explanation about this:

[IMPACT_YIELD:5000000]
   [IMPACT_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [IMPACT_ELASTICITY:0]
   [COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:5000000]
   [COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [COMPRESSIVE_ELASTICITY:0]
   [TENSILE_YIELD:5000000]
   [TENSILE_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [TENSILE_ELASTICITY:0]
   [TORSION_YIELD:5000000]
   [TORSION_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [TORSION_ELASTICITY:0]
   [SHEAR_YIELD:5000000]
   [SHEAR_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [SHEAR_ELASTICITY:0]
   [BENDING_YIELD:5000000]
   [BENDING_FRACTURE:5000000]
   [BENDING_ELASTICITY:0]
   [MAX_EDGE:100000]

That's the adamantine example there, but I don't know what affects what. I have some idea of what each /means/ in the real world, but applying it to DF is another matter.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 21, 2008, 05:42:53 am »

I dunno.  I've scratched my eye once, but I don't remember it being particularly worse, and I have no idea about various nerve damages.  Right now the nervous tissue pain is set at zero, and I was going by the while-awake brain surgery videos I've seen.  I dunno if getting your spine cut hurts or if it's like the brain, or if I'm wrong about the brain.

Superficial eye damage causes only minor pain, but it can get to very painful or extremely painful if the eye is pierced, and the blood rushing through the wound will cause considerable pain aswell. Nerve damage pain is quite low, which is why nerve wounds are very dangerous, you can't tell if its wounded since there's only a minor pain, if any at all. A broken spine will only hurt well someone tries to get up and moves the bone away from its initial position, but otherwise he/she/it wound't feel it.
A good example is car crash victims: They think they're alright were they currently stand, they'll only feel pain if they move around or try to get up.

In short:
Eye pain: Low if only scratched, or otehrwise lightly damage, high/extreme if pierced/mangled or severely wounded.

Nerve pain: Low, if any at all, regarding spines, brain and related.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ask some0ne with sciatica how bad their nerve pain is................
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 05:48:43 am by I3erent »
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 148