Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 337025 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1305 on: December 29, 2008, 07:23:45 pm »

That's rather oversimplified, though. You can certainly cut a "stronger" material with a "weaker" one. It depends on a lot of things, like sharpness, thickness, how the force is applied, and whatever else.

For instance, here's a rather extreme example to illustrate the point: A 50-pound copper axe blade, sharpened extremely fine, should be able to penetrate a millimeter of good steel. I know that's ridiculous to use as an example, but it's just to show that there are more factors involved than a direct comparison of the materials, and saying "that's impossible!" just because one material is less inherently "strong" than the other.

And a thick, fleshy finger can poke through thin aluminum foil.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 29, 2008, 10:12:22 pm »

If it works we could even see them being allowed for different uses. Dragon fang/walrus tusk spears, anyone?

I guess this is an ideal time to strike a cautious note -- depending on what I have time for, workshops possibilities might not be expanded in certain ways initially.  For instance, bone is generally the realm of the craftsdwarf, but the craftshop doesn't do weapons aside from the sharpenable stone ones.  There are lots of different things to handle, so I could miss quite a bit (or not even attempt lots of them as I'm pressed for time for this release).  We can patch things up after that, but it's something to be aware of.  This goes for knocking out some gigantic tooth or horn and making floodgate out of it or whatever as well.  The new corpse piece would make it one step away from being the floodgate through an appropriate job, but those need to be added to the interface for you to get at them.  It probably is best done with some sort of complete reworking of how shops function and which jobs are available, which sticks me between instant and delayed gratification yet again.

You could handle it in the item interaction rather than a workshop option. Basically you could have a dragon corpse and interact with it through the k menu. In that menu you choose the corpse and open its item page. On its item page you get a list of what parts are still attached to the corpse. You can choose each part and have options to sever it or perform some gruesome task otherwise.

The corpse would generate a dissection task and a butchery enabled dwarf would take it to a butcher's shop and remove the limb. Then you could interact with the limb and have options like "Mount on Plaque" or if one of the creature's attacks was linked to it "Turn into weapon". The type of weapon could depend on the damage that the creature's attack did. Currently the only weapon from a dragon this would allow would be the mouth though so you would just end up mounting the head on a stick and biting enemies with it, which would be weird.

All that would require in the craftsdwarf shop is a "Weaponize Corpse Piece" task like the melting task at the Smelter.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1307 on: December 30, 2008, 01:04:36 am »

...a "Weaponize Corpse Piece" task...
Which is probably amoungst the best combination of words ever.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 30, 2008, 02:38:33 am »

I need more room in my signature.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 30, 2008, 04:24:32 am »

I need more room in my signature.

I don't know... when your posts are shorter then your signature... you know there are problems.

Come to think of it... I should erase my signature... I doubt I am going to be playing Spore that much in the future (Dang constant glitches)... and if I do I can always put it back.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 30, 2008, 05:26:34 am »

Quote from: Toady
Yeah, exploding gas-ball creature thingies are quite popular.

Pokemon as a creature with a multitude of castes...

Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 30, 2008, 05:38:21 am »

In the games they do. In the cartoon...

Mind you I have not seen them all, but I would imagine it would be a very emotional episode where the damn thing explodes. Then again, it seems death is only for drama and not for, you know, death.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 30, 2008, 09:03:57 am »

I uhhh, never watched the cartoon but heard from a reliable source that if a pokemon in the cartoon uses explode, it glows and goes boom. The pokemon doesn't actually self-destruct, but just damages itself to knock itself out.
I uhh, overheard something like that (A)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 30, 2008, 09:11:37 am »

Only Voltorbs and the other ones can do that.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 30, 2008, 09:16:52 am »

Come to think of it... I should erase my signature... I doubt I am going to be playing Spore that much in the future (Dang constant glitches)... and if I do I can always put it back.

I am suprised that you kept playing with it for so long... ;D

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 30, 2008, 09:48:46 am »

In the games they do. In the cartoon...

Mind you I have not seen them all, but I would imagine it would be a very emotional episode where the damn thing explodes. Then again, it seems death is only for drama and not for, you know, death.

Only Voltorbs and the other ones can do that.

Nope, i've played the games (up to gold/silver, they started to suck after that) and recently rewatched a lot of the episodes (hey, it was part of my childhood). Both the voltorb and koffing lines can use selfdestruct and explosion. In fact, they were both tms so a whole bunch of pokemon could learn them. The move just knocks out the pokemon using it and makes a big bang around it which does lots of damage.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 30, 2008, 01:34:39 pm »

Koffing also uses Self-destruct (or explosion) in the episode where Ash is taking the Exams to bypass the badge system (He fails badly).

Though it was a different Koffing and it was used by Ash

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 31, 2008, 02:05:13 am »

Can we not do this?

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 31, 2008, 09:27:33 am »

You do realize that complaining about a discussion about Pokemon because its childish is in and of itself childish, right?
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 148