Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 337024 times)

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2175 on: May 17, 2009, 10:54:20 pm »

Yeah, that's all "divine wind". It may not be the closest comparison, but works for a literal translation. This gave me an idea btw, can anyone with knowledge of Japanese make a language file using romaji? I'd expect it would be pretty fun to read.

Kinyomi and Onyomi would make things difficult and always screwed me up, but it could be fun.

(Kinyomi and Onyomi are the different pronunciations depending on whether a kanji is used as a standalone word or part of a compound word.  I don't remember which is which.)

Also, there's the difficulty of loanwords.  I estimate roughly half of the Japanese language at present is composed of phonetic loanwords from other languages.(for example, an electric shaver is a "sheeba," pronounced "shay-bah," instead of a translation for "device used to cut hair which grows on the face."  Makes sense, I guess, since the latter is a mouthful.)

This finally gives me a good reason to go buy batteries for my electronic English/Japanese dictionary.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: May 18, 2009, 10:21:57 am »

Hmmmm...

Kinyomi and Onyomi would make things difficult and always screwed me up, but it could be fun.

You mean, kunyomi right?  ;)

I estimate roughly half of the Japanese language at present is composed of phonetic loanwords from other languages.

This might actually be true if you included all the words in usage in all the various technical fields, which tend to borrow their words from English. But I think this statement might give people the wrong impression. I would say that the 'Japanese language' , as a living language, and not a database of technical terminology, is not anywhere near half foreign words. Definitely, there are a lot of foreign words in use, but you can easily listen to protracted conversations and barely hear any.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: May 18, 2009, 11:06:14 am »

You mean, kunyomi right?  ;)
Yes.  Yes, I did.  That's how badly they screwed me up.(also, it's been about 2 years since Japanese class.)

And come to think of it, most of the DF Language words will probably be native, too.  I'll try and buy batteries for my dictionary on the way home from work today.

Then I actually have to find the dictionary...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:07:50 am by Volfram »

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: May 18, 2009, 03:28:30 pm »

Threetoe's avatar is his guinea pig Faustus.  They have three toes on each back foot.  The four in the front may be toes, but they don't count as toes, because they are in the front.

I find that strangely quotable for some reason.  Maybe it's lack of sleep.
You aren't alone. As I was reading that, I was planning on putting it in as my signature, but then I realized that Toady said it, so I can't. I have this thing where I fight the power by not ever sucking up to Toady.

So your thing is to avoid toadying up to Toady? ;D
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: May 18, 2009, 04:39:13 pm »

OW. That HURT!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: May 18, 2009, 07:14:12 pm »

OW. That HURT!
You know not of what you speak.  That was actually a pretty good one.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #2181 on: May 22, 2009, 06:53:05 am »

So... you can choose your barons now? That's pretty nifty.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: May 22, 2009, 07:50:18 am »

It'll be worth making a list of who likes microcline weapon racks.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: May 22, 2009, 01:38:52 pm »

Dwavern Politics, always sticking it to the Man.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: May 22, 2009, 05:14:26 pm »

Seems brilliant that you can choose your own nobles.... to bad that I'll start micro-managing embarking dwarves to look for a suitable mayor, then ctrl-alt-del out if I don't get a perfect one =/

Oh, but you'd get random spouses...

So, you embark with one female subject, and a male subject, lock them together in a tight meeting zone for the first years of the fort, then when they get together, you release them again.... So many sick possibilities....

Also: What happens if you select your Military Champion as Baron? Not possible, or a recipe for disaster? (Don't miss thoose demands!)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: May 23, 2009, 01:20:29 am »

Exactly.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #2186 on: May 23, 2009, 01:16:32 pm »

You can also pass up the barony entirely at the cost of forming trade agreements with the homeland
You can also pass up the barony entirely
pass up the barony entirely

I don't know what to feel anymore.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: May 23, 2009, 01:22:26 pm »

I feel foolish.  Nice and soft.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: May 25, 2009, 12:22:52 am »

then ctrl-alt-del out if I don't get a perfect one =/

Hello, my OCD friend. You don't need to ctrl-alt-del. Press Esc and then abort the game, it'll take you back to the title screen.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: May 25, 2009, 01:47:36 pm »

then ctrl-alt-del out if I don't get a perfect one =/

Hello, my OCD friend. You don't need to ctrl-alt-del. Press Esc and then abort the game, it'll take you back to the title screen.

That doesn't work because then you abandon your fort.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148