Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 336626 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2190 on: May 25, 2009, 07:53:56 pm »

Hello, my OCD friend. You don't need to ctrl-alt-del. Press Esc and then abort the game, it'll take you back to the title screen.
That doesn't work because then you abandon your fort.

We're talking about pre-embark setup aren't we?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: May 25, 2009, 08:10:51 pm »

Hello, my OCD friend. You don't need to ctrl-alt-del. Press Esc and then abort the game, it'll take you back to the title screen.
That doesn't work because then you abandon your fort.

We're talking about pre-embark setup aren't we?

My bad, didn't realize that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: May 26, 2009, 03:28:30 pm »

In the future...you will be able to build and conquer the whole world.  Zoom in and out on the whole region map, build strategic outposts inbetween mountain ranges, fluid camera control.  Have huge battles in late-game against the last greatest force that stops you from taking the whole world over (smaller regions will be easier for this).  2000 populations will be possible with better code, flaming catapults litter the worn battlefield as dwarves fight with others.  Once you are finished with one base you'll be able to get any number of guys and make them travel over the world map (eating and sleeping) and watch their progress, then settle down when you find the perfect spot.  World features will be more involved, volcanos will blast lava all the time, earthquakes will shake tower to rubble, tornados will throw cattle across the hills, lightning will play a much bigger part with fire and shocking and what not.  Much later near the end game weird sh** will start happening.  This will happen when you own the entire world (if you can get that far congratz)  demons will pour out of the ground and even Armok might get involved, you will have to be unstoppable to win this game.  Which you shouldn't be able when Armok comes.  Instant lose or something.  You can't just win can you?  You have to lose GLORISOUSLY.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: May 26, 2009, 03:33:12 pm »

Why does there have to be an instant loss? Why can't we continue to put down brush fires created by having so many mandate-making people until the world collapses into fire and dark ages under its own bureaucracy? :'( (At which point we get to try and conquer the same world again, only fighting against people we helped arm in the first place! ;D)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: May 26, 2009, 03:36:30 pm »

What about the demons!?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: May 26, 2009, 03:58:27 pm »

What about the demons!?

Oddly I have a feeling the most of the work on demons is waiting for Version 2

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: May 26, 2009, 04:22:29 pm »

You forgot random critters, usefull breeding, magic, decent social simulation and artefacts of doom. Oh and nice little Poems XD.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: May 26, 2009, 04:28:48 pm »

You forgot random critters, usefull breeding, magic, decent social simulation and artefacts of doom. Oh and nice little Poems XD.

Except some of those arn't actually that far away.

Random Critters for example

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: May 26, 2009, 04:29:49 pm »

I DIDN'T FORGET ANYTHING I WAS JUST AFRAID YOUR BRAIN COULDN'T TAKE TOO MUCH.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: May 26, 2009, 05:11:34 pm »

ToonyMan, you and I are going to have words...

What about the demons!?

Oddly I have a feeling the most of the work on demons is waiting for Version 2

I was under the impression that Toady had already done some work with demons, by virtue of having to update them to the new body system.  Judging by the devlog, he just hasn't changed their behavior yet.  Like the bodies, he'll probably have to change the demon the demon behaviors, just because he needs to completely rewrite them anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: May 26, 2009, 05:28:48 pm »

XD imagine that: Altruistic Demon-lords. Anyway i hope the demons get really some more meaning and motivations in their lives. Maybe even some sort of "culture". I would like to see a demon relaxing to Wagners "Die Walküre" (The Valkyrie).

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:16 pm »

XD imagine that: Altruistic Demon-lords.

Well, in a sense, they are. Setting our dwarves free from our sadistic minds might be their fondamental motive for slaying each and every living thing.
Also, as for culture, I'd picture them as playing said song with the cries of the tortured ones.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: May 26, 2009, 09:10:02 pm »

Nobody ever acts to be the bad guy. I highly doubt demons act purely out of malice since that type of personality doesn't make any logical sense. It would mean demons are insane, and I find it hard to believe that an insane being can lead a fortress full of clearly logical and sane creatures.

I'm sure you guys realize it too, but goblins are no more barbaric as a dwarf is. In fact, it's quite possible that they're more civilized.

Furthermore, you can't lead if you don't have a purpose. So demon lords must clearly have some sort of goal to reach... if not, what's the point of them being lords?

You know what I would find a lot more interesting? If you started talking to the demon lords and he asks you why you refer to him as a "demon". It's racism. :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: May 26, 2009, 09:14:09 pm »

I always imagined goblins have a massive fetish for pain in others. The demon lords just wish to keep the goblins happy.

Also, I have disengaged and engaged the U thing at the same time!
 Scratch that, I'm going full-out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 09:16:05 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: May 26, 2009, 09:45:44 pm »

Nobody ever acts to be the bad guy. I highly doubt demons act purely out of malice since that type of personality doesn't make any logical sense. It would mean demons are insane, and I find it hard to believe that an insane being can lead a fortress full of clearly logical and sane creatures.

It doesn't make any sense for humans.  Demons are, by the interpretation DF seems to endorse, personifications of personality traits or material concepts.  Besides, there are certainly humans who derive visceral joy in hurting and killing people - it's not hard to imagine the same traits in immortal creatures not bound by the normal need to maintain a self-sustaining society.

Damn me for making this the avatar battleground.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148