Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 336986 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 06:32:47 pm »

Another idea is to go to what I consider the authority in creating languages.

Language Construction Kit

Zompist has the most detailed description in how to create a realistic language I've ever seen. He makes Tolkien look like  2 year old with a crayon.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 06:45:41 pm »

Also linked to on the above reference, this guy's page has lots of exhaustive information on making languages listed in the right column.  Fascinating reading even if you're note into linguistics, with four different examples of language making, each quite enlightening.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 06:56:41 pm »

To have evolving languages, you'd need to restructure the raws so that you have base words and conjugations listed separately.  So, for example, "Slow" would be a base word, and "Ed" would be a simple modifier to get "Slowed".  Then you could do easy language shifts by simulating vowel changes along with conjugation alterations.  Other modifiers could be for politeness, for negation (ie, hook and unhook), repetition (hook and rehook), and so forth.  All those prefixes and suffixes.

And you'd want to make it so that these word modifiers aren't restricted to pre/suffixes, but could also alter vowels, rearrange words, and so forth.  So you'd want to restructure the raws more so that base words are made up of phoneme groups, like the standard CVC kind of thing.  That way, a modifier could make CVC CRC, or CVCVC, or anything else.

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2008, 03:17:14 am »

Zompist has the most detailed description in how to create a realistic language I've ever seen. He makes Tolkien look like  2 year old with a crayon.

While the link provided was interesting, that's a dumb thing to say. As an example, someone might be able to translate the DF elven vocabulatory to more or less match this. Many common words could be given quenyan meanings, and less common words such as bunion, wallow, parity and broil could be constructed following the word-building rules Tolkien made up. They wouldn't actually be quenyan, but they could sound like it.
Janne )`*

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2008, 03:43:55 am »

While the link provided was interesting, that's a dumb thing to say. As an example, someone might be able to translate the DF elven vocabulatory to more or less match this. Many common words could be given quenyan meanings, and less common words such as bunion, wallow, parity and broil could be constructed following the word-building rules Tolkien made up. They wouldn't actually be quenyan, but they could sound like it.

This being a made-up langauge, who says they wouldn't?  All you need is to get a few people to adopt your made up words and voila, they're quenyan, or at the very least a new dialect!
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 12:07:43 am »

*bumping to help kill old FotF thread*

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 01:18:55 pm »

As far as I know, this is discussion about the new dev_next page, not about DF development in general.
If not, rename the title future of the fortress 5 please.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 03:00:17 pm »

It would be so funny if you were tunnelling and...

"Horror! Your miners have struck a Dragon Nursery!"

and then

"Oh no! The Eggs are Hatching!"

and then

"Your civilisation has crumbled to its end."

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 03:06:24 pm »

As far as I know, this is discussion about the new dev_next page, not about DF development in general.
If not, rename the title future of the fortress 5 please.

Why? Does it really matters that much? Basically dev_next = development in general.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 12:17:32 am »

I'm hoping there might be a couple days in the schedule sometime not too far away of looking at interface improvements.

Here are three smallish fixes near the top of my list: The 'q', 'k', 't' (and, in adventure-mode, 'k' and 'l') merge would be nice, if perhaps slightly non-trivial.  Trying to get consistent about using arrows versus +/- would be nice too, if tedious.  And then wrestling could use a hierarchical selection UI, probably pretty easy (select left hand, then select third head, rather than having to scroll through *everything*; as it is I barely ever bother gouging out anything's eyes, and I never break limbs).

I *love* the 'd'esignate -> 'b'wahuh? -> 'd'ump and undump and so on interface; very useful (though I can never remember why 'b', it doesn't really matter).  Now I have a make-work program for everyone: clear out the stones from the entire mine and put them next to the smelter and masonry shops.  Muscle memory still tries to 'd'esignate 'f'orbid, but that will fade.  I hope.

sidew

• Bay Watcher
  • Mighty Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 02:35:44 am »

And then wrestling could use a hierarchical selection UI, probably pretty easy (select left hand, then select third head, rather than having to scroll through *everything*; as it is I barely ever bother gouging out anything's eyes, and I never break limbs).

IPod docet.
"I am Urist Threepwood, mighty engraver!"

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 04:29:10 am »

What's going to be funny with the groups traveling over land, is the fact that they will run into groups of wild beasts. I can picture it now.. A group of my immigrants runs into a pack of wolfs. With no military dwarf, and no commander (I.E. player), they will be slaughtered! Yay for dead immigrants AND not cleaning up their cloths!

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 09:08:34 am »

Hmmm, is this FotF 5? Seems like it's getting shorter every time. ::)

Anywho. Toady, what future development, of all of them, are you most excited about implementing?  :P

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 04:42:04 pm »

I didn't really see the old massive FotF 4 before I made this.  I had just seen the dev next and wanted to post about it.  I remember the original FotF and also Toady's dev pages are named as such and wanted to name mine after them.  Wasn't trying to usurp the other thread.

August 1st is tomorrow.  Gonna be an exciting month.

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 05:01:34 pm »

It would be so funny if you were tunnelling and...

"Horror! Your miners have struck a Dragon Nursery!"

and then

"Oh no! The Eggs are Hatching!"

and then

"Your civilisation has crumbled to its end."

I think thats what cage traps were made for.

A dragon farm would be freakin sweet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 148