Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 334860 times)

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
The NEW Future of the Fortress
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:26:46 am »

The new Future of the Fortress is EPIC.  Just staggering.

So much to look forward to, I am at a loss for words. A couple highlights that nearly offed me from my chair:

III.B.4: Ability to attack enemy armies at non-site locations on the world map/midlevel tactical views and decisions (requires III.A.1)

Wow.  Just imagine my Hammerdwarves pillaging and razing.  I'll be picking a fight with everyone.  Can't wait to see my dwarves ransacking some human village, or getting pincushioned by elves on their turf.  Hahah.

II.B.2: Way to build shelter/home and ability to save it as a permanent site

Holy hell.  From Adventure Skills Preliminaries.  I'd build the awesomest lodge/harem.  I hope I can convince that Merchant Princess to elope with me.

III.B.1: Addition of bandit groups which harass caravans

I hope this leads to more sentient adversaries in Adventure mode.  I want to stumble across a band of goblin raiders while I am adventuring around a Dark Tower.  And fighting bandits is gonna be so much fun.

II.D: Generalization of "zombie" and "skeleton" to broader curses/sphere-related alterations

The human fleshbane of stenching attacks!

Phew.

What are your favorites?  Discuss.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 10:38:43 am »

II.B.2: Way to build shelter/home and ability to save it as a permanent site
Kickass.  Hopefully it can be used to store loot without it disappearing.
And hopefully we can load it up with chests/bags/whatever else so we can hold as much loot as possible...
Maybe even a bed, but some bonus for sleeping on a bed would have to be implemented, otherwise there would be no point...

III.A.1: Replacement of generated caravans in dwarf mode with actual caravans
Preferably with artifact trading implementation.  That way, we can trade away Gathathafatha, "The Singed Battles", an adamantine mug, and then see it again later in Adventure mode.  Or any objects that we made and traded, for that matter.

I.C: Graveyards and other burial arrangements with associated fun stuff
Looks like proper ruins of olde are making a comeback!  Woo, those things added so much to Adv.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:45:27 am »

III.A.3: Improving dwarf mode sieges

If that means a million of traps won't be the most effective defence, this change alone will make the next release awesome.

#  III.D.2: Allowing conflict over succession, schisms and contested claims to entity positions in world gen
# III.D.3: Allowing such conflict in regular play
And this is truly epic.

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:50:10 am »

Wow i cant choice what is the coolest new thing yet, so many new thing that will improve dwarf fortress, lets hope that this version will come as soon as possible
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 10:52:06 am »

Wow i cant choice what is the coolest new thing yet, so many new thing that will improve dwarf fortress, lets hope that this version will come as soon as possible
Well, let's look back.
39a took 5 months to complete.  Was it worth the wait?  I think yes.
I suspect, with all the pre-reqs he has to implement, this one will probably take longer.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:58:49 am »

I.A: Appearance tags for the raws and associated data (beards, color, etc.)

Beards for everyone!

I.A. Make caves and the underground more interesting

oooo

Also, do we know that he's only going to release when ALL of this is done? The note at the top suggested otherwise to me.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:59:57 am »

Well, let's look back.
39a took 5 months to complete.  Was it worth the wait?  I think yes.
I suspect, with all the pre-reqs he has to implement, this one will probably take longer.

Toady said in the Future of the Fortress page that those aren't all requirements for a release.  It all depends on the ongoing bug fixes, interface tweaks, and whatever happens to be done and should lead to more frequent releases.

As for my picks?

Language Improvements

* I: Basic rewrite of names to support syntax trees and different, larger phrases
    * II: Grammars for each language for different realizations of stored abstract phrases

and

Wound Handling

* I: Track wounds individually and do scarring (and thereby remove phantom limb pain and unconsciousness)
    * II: Wound infection and some other diseases

Finally, finally, if my armless soldier doesn't die of a staph infection, he'll eventually stop bitching about the inconvenience and go back to hacking Goblins to bits.  It might also lead to peg legs, hook hands, and eye patches! 

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:08:02 am »

Yeah I cant wait to play with the next "big" version already. I hope it wont take so many months to complete.  :-\

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 11:15:08 am »

I'm looking forward to building stuff as an adventurer.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 11:46:16 am »

Language Improvements

* I: Basic rewrite of names to support syntax trees and different, larger phrases
    * II: Grammars for each language for different realizations of stored abstract phrases

Hehehe, this reminds me of an assignment I did for CompSci 2, a grammar assignment.  We had to create a program that made random sentences using a text file for structure.  Instead of using the default, I spent about 4 , no 6 too many hours creating a new file for it, but it was frickin' awesome.  Anyways, this should be really cool.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 01:21:04 pm »

It brings a tear thinking that we've come so far.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 01:31:14 pm »

I'll comment and ask questions about some of the yellow ones (which are forthcoming):

I: Getting migrants/armies to move over the world map again

Heh, with all the chaos surrounding cities in Adv. Mode right now I though this was already working. This will be cool. But maybe adding some restrictions to non-migrant dudes (so that they don't leave the city area) is needed. Sometimes I get tired of chasing down quest targets that wander off the city or cave area.

I: Ways to obtain food while traveling (hunt/gather)

Yay! Does this includes water? Because water is more important than food in Adv. Also. If Toady implements this I would like if he tracks down said statuses during travel mode. Otherwise nobody will bother to gather food if there's no need. The same goes with recent wounds. Even if there's no medicine implemented, they should heal over time (like in Fortress Mode) instead of instantly.

I: Store resource counts at sites, controlled by map properties and world gen professions

Caravan arc is on the way!

I: Track wounds individually and do scarring (and thereby remove phantom limb pain and unconsciousness)

I hope this extends to player adventurers and not only to worldgen characters. And like I said with food, I hope still fresh wounds are tracked down even during travel mode.

I: Creation of the adventurer's group as an entity (as with civ/religion/etc.)

Does this applies to worldgen scouts and adventurers? I would like to meet up with legendary bands of adventurers and fight them or join them. Maybe help them in their own quests.

I.C: Eggs and feathers, associated skills and objects

I was about to suggest adding dragon eggs. I hope this makes it to the raws and fortress mode to mod proper egglaying lizard civilizations.

I: Basic rewrite of names to support syntax trees and different, larger phrases

Wow, that one is gonna be a handful. Take that one easy Toady. It takes too much effort to do something decent with generative languages and it isn't as rewarding.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:33:59 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 01:41:15 pm »

#  I.C: Graveyards and other burial arrangements with associated fun stuff

"I hope this town is more interesting than the last one."
(Takes a step)
(Two pages of attack messages regarding human children and soapmakers being torn apart by zombie humans)
"HOLY SHIT!"

#  I: Creation of the adventurer's group as an entity (as with civ/religion/etc.)

The Crazy Lashes was an adventurer group from the Hills of Speaking.  Some questions still trouble historians, but the picture is fairly clear: They were a goddamn menace.
Derp.

Seth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 01:56:47 pm »

"I.B: Remove good/evil regions and add more specific associations instead"

I want to know what this one entails.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 02:02:30 pm »

"I.B: Remove good/evil regions and add more specific associations instead"

I want to know what this one entails.

It probably (and I hope so) means that previously generic good/evil regions will be tied now to powers and deities directly instead, and fantastic creatures will also spawn on them depending on their association with said powers and deities.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:05:10 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 148