Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 334814 times)

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1185 on: December 21, 2008, 03:07:07 pm »

I think if you hit something with enough bludgeoning force, it will break or fracture.  So for piercing weapons, maybe it will just 'fracture' that point in the armor, or something.  Whereas for cutting weapons like a sword edge or axe you would get a 'fracture' in the shape of a long gouge.  This would be fairly realistic imo, since 'cutting' is really just bludgeoning on a much finer point/line if you think about it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: December 21, 2008, 03:08:26 pm »

That's rather oversimplified, though. You can certainly cut a "stronger" material with a "weaker" one. It depends on a lot of things, like sharpness, thickness, how the force is applied, and whatever else.

For instance, here's a rather extreme example to illustrate the point: A 50-pound copper axe blade, sharpened extremely fine, should be able to penetrate a millimeter of good steel. I know that's ridiculous to use as an example, but it's just to show that there are more factors involved than a direct comparison of the materials, and saying "that's impossible!" just because one material is less inherently "strong" than the other.

It sounds like thickness itself probably will play a role in the calculations, certainly for tissue layers at least (Toady mentioned "a large layer of lardy rolls") and probably for armor as well.  But yeah, the particulars will be interesting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 21, 2008, 04:09:24 pm »

Toady when items finally have wounds (or if rather) and other types of damage, will that mean that armor will start to act like a layer of metal around your character that needs to be breached and torn to do damage to the soft creature inside instead of being mostly like a magnetic field? (or heck will it be that way THIS release?)

Though I could interpret what you said differently... Afterall the sword didn't break... It just warped and altered its statistics until the point of worthlessness. So when it applies to other objects the Armor may not actually break or take "Wounds" so to speak, it could just lose structural integrity and cover until it is worthless, and unwearable, as armor.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:16:54 pm by Neonivek »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: December 21, 2008, 04:11:35 pm »

this post reminds me, are you ever going to include magnetism in DF ? Probably something for the magic arc. Imagine it, A whole new kind of trap, glueing the puny goblins to the ground by their iron boots, while the marksdwarves let loose some bolts
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Serg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 21, 2008, 04:26:43 pm »

Or, checking the distance (head) from the magnet (ground) and multiplying it by the force/power of the magnet to instantly gib goblins in their own armor?

Puller of the lever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: December 21, 2008, 04:30:13 pm »

Hi everybody, I'm a new user.
I'm Italian and my english comprension isn't very good (euphemism!  :P), so maybe I misunderstood this point.

In the incoming version, will the dispatching of army out of the embark tiles and the other features of the army arc be implemented, or will be only the improvements in squad control (and wounds, and all the other things of which you are talking by many pages) ?

More generally, the next version will have all the things that are wrote in the dev_next page, or only the yellow ones?

Ps: sorry for my language, I don't dare to think how this post appear to a english speaker.  :-X

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: December 21, 2008, 04:34:43 pm »

The yellow ones are the ones he's currently working on. The others will come later.

So we'll get better squad control, and so forth, but we won't be sending troops out on the world map just yet, as far as I know.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: December 21, 2008, 04:37:08 pm »

Only the yellow bits, squad control and wounds. This is only one of the first releases focused on the Army Arc.

And your english isn't the best, but far better than many I've seen out in the internet. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: December 21, 2008, 04:37:18 pm »

Please, please, for Armok's sake please, say the "release the Berzerker!" debug-button is going to stay in for the final release.  And that hopefully what generates can be edited.  It would so damn useful for everyone else who likes to mess with the raws.

Quote from: Toady One
I hope so.  I already have the boiling material flow it uses for the molten metals and alcohols, so it shouldn't be too hard.  It would be cool to mix it with the poison effects when I get there.  I suppose powder blood should also be allowed now that I have a separate powder state.  Then you can be attacked by Time Men that have glass on the outside and sand on the inside, and I can be fired.  That might work better with a whole sand tissue layer though.

Righteous.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: December 21, 2008, 04:47:37 pm »

Dear Toady, you have created a monster dwarf!

This dwarf > Captain Ironblood  ;D

Puller of the lever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: December 21, 2008, 04:50:21 pm »

The yellow ones are the ones he's currently working on. The others will come later.

So we'll get better squad control, and so forth, but we won't be sending troops out on the world map just yet, as far as I know.
Only the yellow bits, squad control and wounds. This is only one of the first releases focused on the Army Arc.

And your english isn't the best, but far better than many I've seen out in the internet. :)
Oh, ok.
It's a pity, I hoped to send under-equipped recruits towards a glorious death around the world, but I think that I'll have to wait.  ;D

Thanks Sean.  :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: December 21, 2008, 04:53:22 pm »

Well right now Puller Toady is working almost exclusively on additions that will break save compatability, as updates that will make your save useless, so that after the next release you will be able to keep your saves for a very long time.

Also second question if I can ask it...

Do Siege weapons actually damage enemies or do they simply die if struck? Will this mean your going to change Siege weapons to go from "Instantly murder Megabeasts" to "Be effective against them"?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:28:50 pm by Neonivek »

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: December 22, 2008, 12:17:13 am »

Huh, I just noticed blood is only present in the new raws as a material template... are the "blood types" still hardcoded?

I just haven't gotten to bleeding wounds yet, so I haven't defined blood in the raws yet, as I'm not sure what I'll end up with.  I was thinking of tracking blood events on the ground with a bit more precision, as there generally aren't a zillion of them and it's currently eating up a ton of map bits, so I'm not sure if the current blood type notion will survive.  It'll take some looking at though.  Everything about blood should make it out to the raws, though that isn't something I can promise.

Hmmm... Gaseous blood...

I hope so.  I already have the boiling material flow it uses for the molten metals and alcohols, so it shouldn't be too hard.  It would be cool to mix it with the poison effects when I get there.  I suppose powder blood should also be allowed now that I have a separate powder state.  Then you can be attacked by Time Men that have glass on the outside and sand on the inside, and I can be fired.  That might work better with a whole sand tissue layer though.

Wouldn't it be as simple as having a [BLOOD] token to be placed on some layer?  Or even [BLOOD:_material_] to simplify if we're going to have many layers of blood.  The total amount of blood would be derived from the size of bodyparts and thickness of those layers, and the loss of enough of it would impair the creature.  The blood material would likely have to be a fluid or pseudo-fluid.  Also, if at any point the blood freezes so that it cannot flow any more, the creature will die.

Oh, and if we have fluid layers that do not fill the requirements of blood, can those be sprayed around when the creature is wounded enough to pierce that layer also, despite that it will do very little to adversely affect the creatures health?  Then, we can have some interesting defense mechanisms on creatures that, when wounded, release magma to discourage attack.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:52:01 am by LumenPlacidum »

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: December 22, 2008, 01:26:02 am »

I have a question regarding tissue/armour layers and damage dealing. 

If an iron sword strikes some steel plate armour and fails to penetrate it, and the damage is converted to bludgeoning (AKA the force of the blow is spread out over the plate), will bludgeoning damage be inflicted to the creature beneath the armour? 

That is, as my inexpert understanding of it goes, what tended to happen to sword strikes on chain and plate - unless the sword hit a weak point in the armour caused by poor forging, the wound inflicted would be a very serious bruise, regardless of how hard the armour material is, the force goes somewhere.  Better forged armour would, I presume, better spread the force around.

Additionally, if we're talking about a steel-skinned creature (Giant Magma Ants?) instead of a steel-armoured creature, is the force transfer handled differently?

Also, extra question I thought of while writing!  Armour quality and material strength:  Will they work as they currently do, as a multiplier of x1 to x2 (or whatever) to the strength?  Maybe there could be something more interesting, with some kind of check to see if the blow has hit a poorly-forged weak spot where the material is thinner or poorly joined or whatever, and the standard material effect happening if the check is passed?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: December 22, 2008, 01:35:39 am »

Well mind you with a layer of leather armor or some thick clothes such damage can be avoided. And if Toady programed the whole force transference thing in, such materials would work well to reduce such problems.

Still, I want to see enemies with skin made of the hardest substance known to man but bones made of toothpicks. Blunt weapons just got more fun when you can cave stuff in and break bones better.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 148