Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 334762 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1230 on: December 22, 2008, 05:40:26 pm »

That's true. We'll need some way to specify litter size beyond the current system of MULTIPLE_RARE and the implied MULTIPLE_COMMON.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: December 22, 2008, 06:06:05 pm »

I just had a crazy thought.

Toady mentioned that adamantine's low weight will make for poor bludgeoning weapons.

Does this mean that simple iron will be better for hammers than steel (assuming it's an iron of higher density than whatever value for steel he uses), and that silver will be even better? I mean, silver is pretty heavy!

I'm starting to wonder if it's even all that unrealistic. I suppose it is, in the sense that a ridiculously heavy hammer would be too difficult to hold upright and swing properly, resulting in poorer damage despite being more massive. After all, there's a reason you don't make bludgeoning weapons the size of your torso.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: December 22, 2008, 06:26:28 pm »

It means Iron does more Blunt damage then Steel in most cases.

However it should be noted that Iron is softer then steel... so that could lead to other problems.

Of course there is something to be said about hardness... Its ability to keep the shock of the impact in the target is important.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:28:04 pm by Neonivek »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: December 22, 2008, 06:45:57 pm »

Hmmm, how does all of this translate as far as weapon and armor quality goes? Will they still have the same effects as before?

Also, how is this going to effect things like training bolts? How is the game going to decide what is good for training with and what isn't?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: December 22, 2008, 07:07:42 pm »

So no more one-shoting dragons with wooden spears.  ;D

You forget about the soft underbelly
hmmm not sure how this would be done... layers that only cover the back.  Is this possible?

Also, more obsessing on blood:  Sand is better bleeding out of mummies than time men... ;)

Not sure sand for blood is possible. However, if a form of [ITEMCORPSE] returns for Bronze Colossi, it may become open-ended enough that a bronze statue could be replaced with sand.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

ACE91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SECTOR91 Productions
« Reply #1235 on: December 22, 2008, 07:08:14 pm »

With all of the new material properties, will it be possible for the bones and leather of different creatures to have different properties when used as items? Would dragon hide armor be better than steel? Would certain creatures' bones make better bolts?
ACE91, Programmer cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
because there's only one reality.
Says who?

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: December 22, 2008, 07:35:09 pm »

With all of the new material properties, will it be possible for the bones and leather of different creatures to have different properties when used as items? Would dragon hide armor be better than steel? Would certain creatures' bones make better bolts?

All this is almost certainly possible.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: December 22, 2008, 09:46:06 pm »

So to make sure from people who thought about it more-

We can make an antman species with four castes: Queens who are all female, born rarely, live a long time, and are fatter than normal; Males who are male (natch), are tiny, and die quickly; and Workers and Soldiers who are no_gender.

If this is true, awesome.  If not, why not?

Oh no!  I just remembered that this won't really be possible unless something is done about the assumed monogamy of species.  In the ant colony, the queen would mate with one ant male, then the male would die and that's how it'd be until a new queen was born.  This must be changed!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: December 22, 2008, 09:59:36 pm »

Some Queeens can live a VERY long time... even without food!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: December 22, 2008, 10:07:32 pm »

We can make an antman species with four castes: Queens who are all female, born rarely, live a long time, and are fatter than normal; Males who are male (natch), are tiny, and die quickly; and Workers and Soldiers who are no_gender.

Oh no!  I just remembered that this won't really be possible unless something is done about the assumed monogamy of species.  In the ant colony, the queen would mate with one ant male, then the male would die and that's how it'd be until a new queen was born.  This must be changed!

Oh yeah, ironclad, universal monogamy.  Well then, instead of the RL appropriate boytoy drones, their function will be replaced with a more... survivable caste.  Ant King - they're gonna rock.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 22, 2008, 10:13:57 pm »

Oh yeah, ironclad, universal monogamy.  Well then, instead of the RL appropriate boytoy drones, their function will be replaced with a more... survivable caste.  Ant King - they're gonna rock.

This sounds imminently terrific.

I also like the idea of being able to assign different strengths to different leathers/bones/etc. If it works we could even see them being allowed for different uses. Dragon fang/walrus tusk spears, anyone?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 23, 2008, 01:35:12 am »

I just had a thought.  Would it be possible if struck hard enough for a hard inner layer to pass through a soft outer layer?

I just saw an episode of mythbusters where they fired chickens out of an air cannon at a solid steel plate and they instantly de-boned the chicken.  Clearly it would be necessary for the satisfying splatsplotions we have all come to know and love.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 23, 2008, 01:41:29 am »

I loved that episode  :D
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: December 23, 2008, 03:20:55 am »

New dev_now is epic shit.

Much thanks to Baughn, Toady, and Bernard for optimizing this thing for us with slow ass computers.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 23, 2008, 03:55:11 am »

Wait, does this apply for non-sentient creatures too?  I didn't think animals formed relationships or even selected their mates per se.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 148