Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 334747 times)

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1770 on: January 21, 2009, 12:21:04 pm »

I don't know if this has been answered yet. If i have several castes of different sizes, some size 4, some size 9, and some size 10. How will armor and clothing be handled? What sizes will be considered small, large, and narrow? Will i be able to specify a specific size when i am making it?
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: January 21, 2009, 06:58:55 pm »

I can answer one bit- at least presently, narrow is a creature tag separate from size. (So is stout.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: January 21, 2009, 07:37:44 pm »

I would like to say that this stuff is looking really sweet.

Yesterday I caught myself thinking, "I sure wish I had more precise control of X" or "I wish I could schedule Y seasonally", and today I came here, to discover that these features are already on the way.

It's enough to make me wish I wasn't a penniless bum, so I could give you money.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1773 on: January 21, 2009, 07:58:19 pm »

Quote from: Rockphed
What happens if the Civ leader position does not have any possible candidates?  So, taking my mad scheme, what happens if there aren't any Dwarves with Beards of Gold when the last king dies?

I think as of now, it leaves it open and then it's empty.  In world gen it'll periodically evaluate it, and I haven't handled it yet for dwarf mode, but it would probably handle it in much the same way.  Actually handling succession and schism and such problems is up on dev_next, after armies can actually do stuff.

Quote from: Osmosis Jones
Toady, will these new genetics changes mean that the dwarves/elves/etc. will select among the populations without any player interaction? I.e. will a dwarf who likes brown be more likely to marry/friend/etc dwarves with brown hair and eyes, without the need for the player to lock the two in a tower together?
If so, how far would this selection go (just friendships, or anything up to potential wars)?

It's one of those things that it needs to be explicitly taught to handle, and I haven't done it yet.  I think there are some dev items related to those issues of preference and discrimination.

Quote from: Mondark
I am curious about how the game tracks 'fear'.  I know small critters like groundhogs, etc. will flee from an adventurer, but just about anything larger will attack you.  Is there an actual mechanism for determining when even a weak creature will attack you?  So, if you're lying down bleeding to death, creatures that normally would avoid you will come out and finish you off?

Nah, there's nothing like that at this point.  Nothing really fights for any reason right now, so there hasn't been much of a rationale to drive it.  If things ate their kills or the sieges had purpose behind them, it would be easier to handle, and things are very slowly moving there.

Quote from: Heph
Toady, i know i am a bit nitpicky about that but please dont forget that some genes for traits can only be found on X or the Y chromosom rendering some at an woman rezessiv genes at an male as dominant. If such an Gene is on the Y Chromosom it only affects male breedinglines. Also there are intermediate and kodominant effects on genes that affect the traits of an individual.

Indeed, you can't do a monarchy properly without sex-linked inherited disorders, but I'm not sure when I'll be doing that.  At some point there will definitely be abstract genes, and I'll probably remember at that point.

Quote from: Footkerchief
does "redefined natural attacks to allow multiple parts (mainly for claws and biting) though it's limited in some ways" mean that attacks can have multiple damage types now too?
Quote from: bjlong
does that mean that there are multiple attacks, or one simultaneous attack with two parts, or are there two separate attacks that can come simultaneously? Or am I just over thinking things?

It's a simultaneous attack with multiple parts (for things like clawing with all your claws or biting with all your teeth), but its implementation is quite gutter right now.  I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to improve it this time around.  I was really just going for getting claw/bite attacks to work properly.

Quote from: Patarak
So will we be able to slice open people's torsos and rip out their hearts?

Nah, the contents under pressure wrestling only applies to popped out stuff, not at this time to body parts that can be reached through a tissue hole (though strikes can hit those).  Eventually it should be able to recognize those as well, but it's not as straightforward an addition so I've put it off for now.

Quote from: hactar1
Couldn't it just allow [ I ] -> Gain posession of small intestine, then [ A ] -> Grab neck with small intestine?

That would be the general idea, yeah, but the implementation is harder, as there are three body parts involved (the neck, the intestine, and the hand gripping the intestine) and there's no framework for that right now.

Toady are you doing different kinds of bone Fractures? Like debris Fracture hairfractures etc. maybe even with spliters ricocheing throught the surrounding tissues?

Right now it tracks angles and percentages for fractures, but I'll need some more material information before I can do anything really interesting there.  The compound fracture item in the remaining list should cover things like skull chips or broken ribs penetrating organs they are supposed to protect in addition to the standard bone penetration of surrounding skin.

Quote from: Aqizzar
What changes (if any) are you planning for the fighting AI (what there is) to account for the new bodies and all the new ways to kill things?

I think anything I've added comes for free from just wacking things, and the wrestling commands are still the same (although the target lists can expand slightly from pop-outs), so I don't think there will be changes.  Of course, the AI is trashy and needs to be updated, but that's more Combat Arcish.

Quote from: Mephansteras
Hmm...speaking of wrestling, will the new squad equipment orders make wrestlers put back on all the cloths that they take off each other eventually?

There's a notion on the remaining list of them sorting their equipment out, and this was one of the possibilities, though I'm not able to guarantee this particular one.

Quote from: Ampersand
Question for future creature polymorphism. Will it be capable of changing the morph of a creature at a given trigger?

Once it can handle the transition from, say, a tadpole to a toad, then there wouldn't be as many restrictions, but I'm not handling that for a while.  It'll need to tie in to hybridization, weird minotaur/centaurization stuff, and polymorph wound/inv retention, that kind of thing.  Probably an extension of the body part categories or something.

Toady with new raws and all do we get the chance to set things on fire? I mean on will and without firebreath, Fire-imp-remains or magma.

Also ,since i am at fire, i didnt check with the raws but do we have an "Thermal conductivity" for materials?

I don't understand the first part.  You can set an ignition point.

I don't have thermal conductivity at this point, so I think it mostly just ends up using specific heat for any transition questions.  Might need to add it later, but I don't really want to complicate temperature further at this point, since it's already a huge bottleneck.

agility

As far as 'running fast' goes, that's now equally a strength question -- it's not a strict agility property now.  In general, part of the problem is that attributes aren't assigned by body part, so you have to work with global properties.  I'm not sure if something else like flexibility would also be needed...  they are all under the same umbrella right now.  As far as aiming and so on, I'm not sure what the physical property should be -- and it needs to be a physical property to split agility, something completely independent of souls being revolved in and out of the body.  Raw strength and flexibility I kind of have a handle on as purely physical properties, but not the physical property of being able to move precisely, if there is such a link that doesn't involve the mental attributes 'kinesthetic sense' and possibly 'focus', so I just have agility there to handle that half of these questions.  I'm open to changes, but I don't understand the physical/mental distinctions well enough yet to make any.

Are we able to see the genetic informations on the legends screens?

I haven't done descriptive paragraphs yet, but I'm not planning on showing specific genomes.  I might entertain requests along those lines if people want to mess around with genetic studies of their critters and so on, but only as some buried init thing or default-off world gen option.

Also do you have anything on the list noone would guess you have on the List (new HFS etc.)?

Not very much this time around.  There's enough to do already.

Quote from: Tormy
[The equipment] system will work like what I've suggested? Can you post some details about your plans regarding the equipping method/system?

I don't have details yet.  I don't think assigning each dwarf a specific item is the way to go necessarily, as it's irritating and also invades on their autonomy somewhat.  I'm not strictly against it though, as you should be expected to be able to intrude on them a bit when it comes to military matters.  Certainly just saying "axe + chain" for each dwarf can be improved to some squad level + material settings, with options for individuals to override them, but it's not completely settled at this point.  It'll also have to merge in with the familiarity stuff on the list, which will somewhat replace not having settings for the elite ones at all.

Also, for questions specifically about the list...  they'll probably work better over there.  I'm not sure how I'm going to handle having two threads like this, since there's already some answering that needs to be double posted or something.

Quote from: CobaltKobold
If i have several castes of different sizes, some size 4, some size 9, and some size 10. How will armor and clothing be handled? What sizes will be considered small, large, and narrow? Will i be able to specify a specific size when i am making it?

I haven't addressed equipment for modded fortresses with differently sized castes.  There's a lot more wiggle room now as kids and so on grow up through sizes smoothly, but I'm mostly planning to gloss over this for now as the interface would be a mess and it's not necessary for vanilla outside of figuring out how clothes will work for children.  I'm still thinking about how I want to handle it to the extent it'll be handled this time around.  These problems are lurker behind the stoutness item on the remaining items list.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: January 21, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »

On subject of giving us nifty genetic stuff from the legends screen, any chance you could also add in a legends text dump option at this point? Doesn't have to be fancy, just some way for those of us who REALLY want to dig through everything to do so.

Basically, I'd like to be able to write a parser for the Legends data so I can grab out information I want. Things like everything about a particular war, or every war that X civ has been in, or whatnot. I know you said it's a huge file, which is why I'm suggesting that it be a specific option that people have to hit in the legends screen.

XML would probably be best, but really I'm fine if it's a basic text file like the site/population files currently dumped out at world gen.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: January 21, 2009, 08:13:53 pm »

Wow. Lots of fun stuff here. Thanks again for posting the answers to all these questions.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: January 21, 2009, 08:20:07 pm »

Toady with new raws and all do we get the chance to set things on fire? I mean on will and without firebreath, Fire-imp-remains or magma.

Also ,since i am at fire, i didnt check with the raws but do we have an "Thermal conductivity" for materials?

I don't understand the first part.  You can set an ignition point.

Excuse that i was so inprecise.

I meant starting an Bushfire, making an little campfire out of logs, burning down an Barn, burn away some worn out clothes as form of garbage disposal and things like this.

Just an little option that says to an dwarf "Burn this/Set this on fire."

Right now if i want to ignite, normaly cold not burning, "normal" stuff i need an "Hot" Creature, its remains or magma.

Please play a bit Prometheus for your dwarfs.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:40:35 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: January 21, 2009, 10:13:27 pm »

Not until the Fire and Lighting arc.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: January 22, 2009, 01:30:03 am »

As long as most things are getting updated, would there be a possibility of allowing "Special" attacks to be applied in Adventure mode? Webs and stings and the like.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:19:31 am by Patarak »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: January 22, 2009, 07:43:24 am »

Quote from: Tormy
[The equipment] system will work like what I've suggested? Can you post some details about your plans regarding the equipping method/system?

I don't have details yet.  I don't think assigning each dwarf a specific item is the way to go necessarily, as it's irritating and also invades on their autonomy somewhat.  I'm not strictly against it though, as you should be expected to be able to intrude on them a bit when it comes to military matters.  Certainly just saying "axe + chain" for each dwarf can be improved to some squad level + material settings, with options for individuals to override them, but it's not completely settled at this point.  It'll also have to merge in with the familiarity stuff on the list, which will somewhat replace not having settings for the elite ones at all.

Also, for questions specifically about the list...  they'll probably work better over there.  I'm not sure how I'm going to handle having two threads like this, since there's already some answering that needs to be double posted or something.

Yeah, I think that the squad level equipping method [combined with the armor/weapon material&quality settings] could work perfectly.
Hehe, I was thinking, that where should I post this question of mine, here in the FotF topic, or in the new FotF List of Remaining Items topic. I finally ended up posting it here, but I agree, these list related questions should be posted in the new topic.
Thanks for the replies again, Toady!  :)

Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: January 22, 2009, 02:23:03 pm »

Wow. Lots of fun stuff here. Thanks again for posting the answers to all these questions.
Second'd! This next release is going to be more incredible than the transition to 3D!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: January 22, 2009, 03:06:11 pm »

Just when you think the last release is the best upgrade, a new one comes along...

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #1782 on: January 22, 2009, 07:40:03 pm »

On subject of giving us nifty genetic stuff from the legends screen, any chance you could also add in a legends text dump option at this point? Doesn't have to be fancy, just some way for those of us who REALLY want to dig through everything to do so.

Basically, I'd like to be able to write a parser for the Legends data so I can grab out information I want. Things like everything about a particular war, or every war that X civ has been in, or whatnot. I know you said it's a huge file, which is why I'm suggesting that it be a specific option that people have to hit in the legends screen.

XML would probably be best, but really I'm fine if it's a basic text file like the site/population files currently dumped out at world gen.

Oh god yes please. I don't care if DF craps a 200MB plaintext file on my hard drive, just anything that will allow me to copy-paste particular sections of information so I don't have to retype or printscreen.  For that matter, a "dump this screen to file" option for any particular Legends screen would be fantastic.
Derp.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: January 22, 2009, 08:23:29 pm »

Same here. I love the Legends mode right now but with appereance genes and stuff it would be pure Gold cause it would begin to satisfy my need for fantasyliteratur.

An plain text dumb (even Gigs of text) would be enought i can write my own app to parse and dig throught the informations.

Personally i hunger for every detail like Eyecolor, Tattooings, Weather, last breakfast and all that.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: January 22, 2009, 08:58:49 pm »

Hey guys, you would know this better then me...

Where in the Raws are Servants of gods listed?

If your wondering what I mean... Mostly refering to things like:

Valkyrie, Angels, Cerberous (sorta), Eihmarijar, Cherubs, Demigods, Minor gods, elementals, and stuff?

Is Toady ever planning on including things like these? Should I start up a suggestion thread? Seems a bit too "Bound to be in" for it not to be.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:00:22 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 148