Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coal?  (Read 848 times)

robaal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Coal?
« on: August 16, 2006, 09:11:00 am »

Hi,

I was wondering if there are some special requirements for coal to exist? I mined some tunnels to the bottom and top of the map and couldn't find any (I did find plenty silver/copper/zinc and some gems).
I didn't cross the underground river though...

Also, apparently some "small creature" can fly through walls, as one of the dwarves kept
spamming "...cancels Hunt for Small Creature: Could not find path." and standing in a corner; I noticed a lime dot appearing for a second on the other side of the wall...

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: Coal?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 09:17:00 am »

All the good stuff (and the bad stuff) is deeper to the east, across the river and the chasm and such. Build bridges to go across.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 09:23:00 am »

Is there any best way to mine for things?  Right now I'm just doing a lot of straight lines into the mountain, sometimes vertical, sometimes horizontal, offshooting from each other...

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 10:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by robaal:
<STRONG>Hi,

I was wondering if there are some special requirements for coal to exist? I mined some tunnels to the bottom and top of the map and couldn't find any (I did find plenty silver/copper/zinc and some gems).
I didn't cross the underground river though...</STRONG>

It is expensive in wood, but in a proper Furnace building you can turn wood into Charcoal, which can be used as fuel instead of coal.

Janne )`*

robaal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 02:00:00 pm »

Yeah, I knew about charcoal but I wasn't attacked or anything so there were better uses for wood.

And for some reason I thought that the map ended not far from the river... the "mini-map" suggested it, at least.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »

Definately not, heh heh. Be careful! Remember Moria.   ;)

If you wanted to be ultra-efficient about exploiting your poor mountain, you could dig out parallel lines with two tiles left alone between them.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XOOOOOOOOOOXOO ->
XOOOOOOOOOOXOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

That way you see -everything- you haven't excavated in exploration, and can get all the pretty gems. Not very friendly to expansion, though.

[ August 16, 2006: Message edited by: Eagleon ]

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 02:41:00 pm »

The mini-map lies. This is a feature, not a bug.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »

quote:
If you wanted to be ultra-efficient about exploiting your poor mountain, you could dig out parallel lines with two tiles left alone between them.

Dont see how that is efficient.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by karnot:
<STRONG>
Dont see how that is efficient.</STRONG>

You see the ore when you mine next to it, so while searching it's best to just expose as much as possible with minimal digging.  It's a great idea and I'll use it now.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 03:06:00 pm »

Normally i get so much ore i dont know what to do with it, and some people want more ? Well...

TrevorGood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 06:53:00 am »

How is Coal Fuel better then Charcoal? Does it one piece of Coal Fuel last for more then 1 smelt/metalsmithing process or something?

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 07:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TrevorGood:
<STRONG>How is Coal Fuel better then Charcoal? Does it one piece of Coal Fuel last for more then 1 smelt/metalsmithing process or something?</STRONG>

To make Charcoal, you need 1 piece of wood, with coal you need to mine coal from the mountain. Inside the mountain, wood is a precious resource. That alone makes it worth it.

Janne )`*

TrevorGood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 07:35:00 am »

But you forget, in order to make coal usable you have to smelt it, which requires charcoal, or another piece of Coal Fuel.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 08:59:00 am »

Yes, but the end result is two pieces of coal fuel, netting you one piece of fuel when all is said and done.

TrevorGood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 09:36:00 am »

Aha! So thats the catch, thank you. I guess I didnt' keep a close enough eye on the process to tell.